Bristol Superfreighter, Welsh Models

You don't see too many of these, either as the 1:72 Airfix kit or this 1:144 Welsh Models Vac-form.

I remember building the Aifix kit in this scheme as a kid, with opening front doors that you could load matchbox cars into.

This one of the sligthly more difficult Welsh vac's to build, but the mouldings were very good indeed, hats off to the guy who made the masters. It was a slow but enjoyable build, and a pretty rare addition to my collection. It is not very big, the picture below is close to full size.

Bristol5_zpsdabd7c28.jpg

Bristol6_zps7f9ac97d.jpg

Bristol7_zpseaabcb09.jpg

Bristol8_zpse91e200a.jpg

With its recently completed freighter companion!

Bristol9_zpscbb092a7.jpg

A few notes on building.

I cut out all the glazed areas and after completion filled them with Microscale 'Kristal Kleer'.

The engine nacelles are just flat fronted. I opened them up and scratch built a couple of rudimentary engines with cylinders from plastic rod.

Bristol1_zps86b75e72.jpg

The whole model was assembled before priming and painting. although the props are only push fitted here. Paint was Halfords Appliance white and various shades of Alclad.

Bristol2_zpsf8c65233.jpg

The real 'Achilles heel' with this kit is the decals. You only get the red 'British United' tiles and the registrations. Everything else you have to do yourself

The dark blue/black area around the cockpit and down the nose I masked and sprayed.

The cheatline was a real headache, dark blue edged with gold and sloping down at the front. Eventually I came up with a plan to use decal film. I had an A5 sized sheet of gold, so I made a 'cheatline' out of plasticard that fitted on the model. Then I used it as a template to cut out some gold decal. The same template was then used on some dark blue decal (Old Airfix Lufthansa 727!) a sliver cut off along the bottom edge, and the applied over the gold. Same thing was done for the wide band on the fin.

Bristol3_zps2ac46500.jpg

Now I can build that Roden 'Carvair' to park alongside it!

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 13

Well done John the finished article is a credit to you.

Your method of overcoming the challenge with the decals is great and well worth noting for others who will run into the same issue.

I have to say it looks quite mean in its grey primer you could almost see it operating with C130's in RAF markings.

Cheers Pat

'Snap' on the Matchbox cars and the early 1/72 Airfix kit. Wow, that is so much smaller than I would have expected - I was avoided the Roden for storage reasons, but I see I can plunge on ahead.

Beautifully rendered and subtly weathered, a joy to behold.

Cheers,

Mike

A very nice piece of modelling!

This is very nice.

Is this the same type of aircraft I could see when I was a little boy in the 60s at "Le Touquet" airport on the other side of the Channel?

Patrick

Probably. You might have seen the ones operated by Silver City. They were among the first commercial aircraft I became aware of, during that period, thanks to Green and Swanborough's Hippo Book of World Airliners. The Carvair depicted in that publication was that of Channel Air Bridge.

Joseph

Probably. You might have seen the ones operated by Silver City. They were among the first commercial aircraft I became aware of, during that period, thanks to Green and Swanborough's Hippo Book of World Airliners. The Carvair depicted in that publication was that of Channel Air Bridge.

Joseph

Thank you for this answer, I know where to look for now.

Patrick