Which paints should i use?

Robin2475

Hello! I am about to order some paints for my Tamiya 1/35 Stug IV. I have found a nice site i want to order paints from, and i see alot of humbrol paints. I am going to make it with the original gray paint that was used on the panzers when they were out of the factory, but i don't know what the name of the paints i need are named. Could anyone help me out with which i need? I looked at the paint pattern in the instructions, but i don't want it dark yellow. And i'm going to use a normal paintbrush.

Thanks in advance - Robin

You are after Panzer Grey, which from looking at conversion charts should by Humbrol no 67, but I don't use Humbrol so that's not a solid personal recommendation. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with either confirmation or an alternative.

The Tamiya paint ( which you should be able to reference from the instructions will probably be XF63 - German Grey ).

HTH

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Robin,

The Germans began to phase out the Dunkelgrau (grey) base coat in February 43, and replace it with Dunkelgelb (yellow). As the Stug IV didn't start production until Nov 43 (the first were completed in Dec 43), they wouldn't have been painted in grey. Having said that, it is your model and you can paint it how you wish so, as Peter said, Humbrol 67 Tank Grey is probably your best bet for the grey. If you do wish to paint it in the yellow base coat, then I would suggest Humbrol 93 as being your best bet.

Mike D.

• Like 1