1/350 Type 42 Destroyer "HMS Newcastle" Major refit.

Delta97

This is my Type 42 Destroyer Model I brought and due for a Major refit to strip her into later HMS Newcastle 2004 era from earlier T42, 1970s - 80s,

is about 41cm x 5cm

S7300001.jpgS7300002.jpgS7300003.jpgS7300008.jpg
S7300019.jpgS7300018.jpgS7300012.jpgS7300009.jpg
EDIT: More Photos:
45cm Ruler in 1st photo.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png
image.png
Edited by Delta97

As the real things were between about 120 and 140m in length, yours scales out at 1/350 which is consistent with available kits, although this isn't one. As a result, I'd guess that fittings would be available in that scale...I'm no expert in these matters though!

Hope that helps,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer
  • Like 2

She looks about 1/350, figures and fittings are available from White Ensign Models/L'Arsenal/Eduard/Gold Medal Models/Northstar. Eduard do some nice prepainted etched metal figures that fold in half to make them thicker, they are self adhesive so just a matter of removing them from the fret and folding them over and glue to the model.

L'arsenal and Northstar do resin figures, WEM and GMM do them as etched brass, all unpainted.

For fixtures and fittings go to WEM and L'arsenal, Both have a huge range of generic Royal Navy and just Navy stuff.

All the best with her 'refit'!

• Like 1

D97 was Edinburgh, wasn't it, not Newcastle? I guess she's the stretched 42 in your avatar picture...?

Anyway, as someone who is wrestling with an RN ship of the same era (and struggling to reproduce Ark Royal sea Dart fit!), i'll be watching this with interest.

Be careful with figures that are described as "RN" - they're usually WW2 era RN, so it might be better to get ones that aren't pre-painted (assuming you reckon your painting skills are up to it!).

Good luck!

• Like 1

D97 was Edinburgh, wasn't it, not Newcastle? I guess she's the stretched 42 in your avatar picture...?

Anyway, as someone who is wrestling with an RN ship of the same era (and struggling to reproduce Ark Royal sea Dart fit!), i'll be watching this with interest.

Be careful with figures that are described as "RN" - they're usually WW2 era RN, so it might be better to get ones that aren't pre-painted (assuming you reckon your painting skills are up to it!).

Good luck!

Glad you said that about the figures, I've just assumed that they would be marked up as WW2, I have two sets for my Lusty so I'll need to check, at least they'll do for my POW if they are!

Good luck!

35ndlc2.jpg

I didn't read the first part correct, thought you were on about the picture of Edinburgh next to the model, yeah Edinburgh is in my avatar, the one you properly saw was the one in South Georgia 2012 but now it's been changed to the sea darts taken in Liverpool on the Monday after the ship closed for Public visitors.

Edited by Delta97

Fixtures i need:

-Railings

-Doors

-Radars

-Weapons Systems (2x Sea Dart's/New Launcher, 2x Phalanx, 2x 20mm, Maybe other small Arms) (My Sea dart launcher is broken)

-most of the other stuff could be scratch built, like the Stb Bridge wing as it's damaged.

Veteran models do a lovely little Phalanx - I have 3 earmarked for my Ark. Lucky Model sold them to me, I think. Beautiful casting.

White Ensign Models (WEM) do a very good phot-etch set called something like "modern RN", which has plenty of doors & hatches, and I think railings (I'm not at home to check my set). The railings might be a separate set.

Radars? Well there's a great 1022 in the WEM Illustrious set, but that's a hell of a lot of money (and brass!) for a single radar if you're not doing the CVS.

I you find anything to do with Sea Dart in that scale, let me know - I need one too!

• Like 1

I think you have to scratch build the sea darts. sv202811.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_Isv202626.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_I

Oh, I know that! The Sea Dart itself isn't too bad; it's that bloomin' blast deflector malarkey behind it that' stage real challenge (though I think I have a cunning plan!)

• Like 1

I have found my Leander. One problem, It was knocked from the shelf and the supper structure is missing. also have a Type 21 in the box, not been opened so everything's there.

Fixtures i need:

-most of the other stuff could be scratch built, like the Stb Bridge wing as it's damaged.

You could always change your mind and build it as the Nottingham, that way you would be able to tick this off your list.

We maaaaay have left most of the wooden trim on RFA Appleleaf (or was it Oakleaf) and the stbd bridge wing peeled forward like a piece of tin while failing to separate properly during a RAS (Replenishment At Sea) :whistle:

On the plus side after the dockies in the Gulf 'fixed' the defect in the plans and rebuilt it we had the only free draining bridge wing on a stumpy in the fleet B)

• Like 1