Central Experimental and Proving Establishment, RCAFS, Namao, Alberta

FTW

CE&PE Motto - Experto Credo – Believe the Expert

The recent Hunter at Namao posting by James Craik caused me to contact an old friend in Canada and to cut a long story short he kindly provided me with info and a number of pictures and some digging has found the following which I hope is of some interest.

Canadian Air Force, test and development work was carried on at Ottawa Air Station (at Rockcliffe and Shirley's Bay) where, eventually, a special flight was formed for this purpose. The outbreak of war greatly increased the demands for test flying for research and experiment, and, as a result, the flight was expanded into the Test and Development Establishment in November 1940. Six years later its name was changed to Experimental and Proving Establishment. On 1 September 1951 the Central Experimental and Proving Establishment was formed by the amalgamation of the E. & P.E. at Rockcliffe, the Winter Experimental Establishment at Edmonton, and the R.C.A.F. (National Research Council) Unit at Arnprior. Headquarters of C.E. & P.E. were at Rockcliffe, with detachments at several sites across Canada. In 1957 CEPE was moved to RCAF Station Uplands, a move necessitated by the longer runways required for testing new jet aircraft.

The Metadata associated with each file provides some info such as location

Any further info on these photos and Winterization Trials would be very welcome.

Some "Canadian" Meteors and deck landing trials on HMCS Bonaventure will follow soon - all from the same source

All photographs are courtesy Canadian Forces Joint Imagery Centre, Ottawa via Steve.

Regards

Frank

[/url]

RE68-1611RAFLincoln.jpg

Avro Lincoln B Mark II, RF523 "Thor II", of the Empire Air Armament School, Manby, on the ground with bomb perhaps during a tour of Canada and the USA in November-December 1946.

PL-unknownCanberras.jpg

Canberra WH699. B.2, used by R.A.F. Flying College, Manby, from 1953 as Aries IV, for navigational research. Numerous trans-Polar flights including, 14th October 1954, the first flight by a British jet aircraft over the North Geographic Pole.WH699 was replaced by P.R.7 Aries V (WT528) on 14th June 1956. Canberra WH 699, also established new records between London and Cape Town, and between Ottawa and London.

RE68-1785RNSeaHornetatCEPEs.jpg

Sea Hornet F20 TT193 was sent to Canada for winterisation trials in Edmonton, starting in December 1948. On completion the airframe was sold off, to save the cost of transporting it back To Spartan Air Services as CF-GUO in July 1950, crashing after an engine fire at Terrace, British Columbia, 11/7/52.

AEC80-26-2RAFNimrodoverColdLake.jpg

Nimrod XV229 was initially used for clearance of all the comms systems, but later became Boscombe Down's 'hack' for such things as SARBE personal locator beacon trials and the communications refit for the Mk2. It entered service as an MR.2 in 1979. Wfu 31 Mar 2010.

Can anyone explain the Roadrunner on the fin?

RE68-1612copynegMeteorWK660atWEE.jpg

Meteor F8 at CE&PE Namao

RE68-1612RAFMeteor8Churchillv.jpg

Close up of CE&PE badge on nose of Meteor

RE68-1768RNGannetatCEPEs.jpg

Gannet AS1 WH344 at Namao

RE68-1609RNFireflyChurchills.jpg

Fairey Firefly at Namao

AEC79-204RAFBritanniaatColdLake.jpg

A&AEE Britannia 312-F over Cold Lake

Edited by FTW
  • Like 8

Hope the pics appear now!

f

Cheers!

Fantastic pictures. Anything on the harrier that went to Cold Lake around 1968/69ish?

Hi Nothing on the Harrier So far but there are a quarter of a million images on file which are being gone through systematically so here 's hoping!

F

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Beautiful; those F Mk.20 shots are just what I was after. Thanks Frank and I'm with mackem01...hope you have some more. Any of a Hastings at Ft. Churchill circa 1967 would be fantastic...but I know I'm pushing my luck there!

Cheers,

Nobs57

Edited by Nobby57

• 6 months later...

FTW, info on the Roadrunner for you: http://www.na3t.org/air/photo/MIL22890

Cheers for that Andrew - seems to suggest that the Ac was based on Malta. Heading out now to East Fortune for the day some hunting when i get back

Regards Frank

I was working in the Control Tower at RCAF Namao from 1956-1959 and saw many of the interesting British aircraft in transit through or based there. Any photos that I have were colour slides which have discoloured badly over the years. Nearly got a ride in the Javelin but it went U/S due to the extreme cold..-40*C.

Barney