Unknown Black Phantom F4E

TerryUK

green.jpgHi, I came across this Phantom F4 and was wondering if anyone could shed some further information on it.
Im guessing it`s possible from USAF from the Vietnam era. But im lost as i have never seen this one before.
Any Info is much appreciated.

Regards

Terry

• Like 2

I have this pic in a book, which I will have to look for tomorrow. But I don't believe it is said why it was painted this way anyway.

I can tell you however it is a USMC F-4B, probably at either Da Nang or Chu Lai in South Vietnam. You can just spot the tail of a VMFA-323 F-4B behind it. Notice that the intakes and the canopy are masked off, so maybe the paintshop just had some fun with it, took some pics and then resprayed it in the right colors before someone higher up found out.

• Like 2

I have this pic in a book, which I will have to look for tomorrow. But I don't believe it is said why it was painted this way anyway.

I can tell you however it is a USMC F-4B, probably at either Da Nang or Chu Lai in South Vietnam. You can just spot the tail of a VMFA-323 F-4B behind it. Notice that the intakes and the canopy are masked off, so maybe the paintshop just had some fun with it, took some pics and then resprayed it in the right colors before someone higher up found out.

Hey I'm getting good at this game! I guessed F-4B (probably Marines) and did notice the masked canopy so also concluded it was mid respray (must have had a lot of spare black paint though).

Would make an interesting dio.

Duncan B

Interesting. I'm not convinced by the 'primer' theory. The link with the A-6 getting a similar treatment is very interesting. It is apparently being painted outdoors, directly over the original finish. The undercarriage legs and the drop tanks are getting painted as well. This makes me think it is some kind of temporary finish. There were several trials of camouflage for aircraft operating in Vietnam, maybe this was a night intruder trial??

Great pictures in the link by the way. Thinking something Vietnam for my next project. Natural metal C-141 looks cool, or maybe a nice A-6.

Edited by chockhead

Forgive the slight deviation off topic, but linked to the above Da Nang site... Remember how we all know that the F-4 was cleared to carry a maximum of 3 SUU-23?

Look at the bottom photo and caption here:

http://366th-tfw.net/index73.html

Can that be right??

6 x 20mm !! now thats something.

Have to be a short hop with no external fuel.

Would not like to be in the way when it fired!!

Julien

• 3 years later...

pY8P3HH.jpg

Is this the Black Phantom ? The original photo is from photobucket and i cant see it ? I have a cellular internet connection and cannot download any corrections to allow photobucket to work. 

I have been looking for info on this plane for two years. I found this photo on pinterest and all i could get was a vague reference to VMFA-323 ? If thats correct please let me know ?  

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2014 at 10:19 PM, Finn said:

It's just black primer, the sharks mouth was added as a zap. Scroll about 3/4 down here:

http://366th-tfw.net/bruce-hill_photos2.htm

to see an A-6 with the primer as well.

Jari

Nice :)