Choroszy 1/72 Parnall Plover resin - restored links

Patrik

After a longer pause new kit on my workbench. This time I decided to dig deeper into FAA history and represent one of their more obscure beasts – Parnall Plover – the not-exactly-successful contender against the far more famous Fairey Flycatcher.

Unfortunately the references are rather scarce. There is the Putnam book on Parnall Aircraft and then some photos scattered throughout other general references, often showing one and the same airplane. So I gathered what I could get and here we go.

I started with the cockpit. In the absence of reference material I decided to accept the cockpit details as offered by the kit producer. I added just the photo-etched seat harness and modified the resin instrument panel by drilling the instruments.

Patrik

P1020633.jpg

P1020637.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2

All major parts cleaned up and ready for assembly. I drilled some locating holes and added wire locating pins where necessary. The fuselage panel lines were deepened a bit, as the original ones were too fine.

P1120636.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The beast is (slowly) taking shape. The Bristol Triplex Carburettor under the chin is still just half-finished.

P1310633.jpg

Edited by Patrik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Biplane at last. But not for the first time.

I had been in the same build phase already, but when I started adding the midsection struts, I found that following the kit’s panel lines and pre-moulded strut holes brought the midsection struts so close to each other that the rear pair almost protruded to the cockpit. And all four of them would in reality have obscured the pilot’s view from the cockpit in the most unpleasant way. As the available reference did not show such a nuisance on the real plane, it was clear to me that I should have had better look on the spacing of the midsection struts before I glued them (and the interplane struts) so neatly and firmly with the cyanoacrylate. After (long) contemplation I made the decision that none of us like, I am sure. I disconnected the upper mainplane again with inevitable damage to the detail parts and paint, being e.g. 75% successful with the interplane struts (just one of four broken :-). Then I filled and sanded the original panel lines and strut holes, widened the midsection 1 mm on both sides (up to the full-span ailerons) and here we are again.

P5020044.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stuart,

apart from the mid-section struts issue mentioned in this thread, there was one more problem (unsolved for me) I found later on and wrote about in WIP. So either find the Plover WIP thread or read below. Otherwise a pleasant small high quality resin kit.

Patrik

Warning for potential builders of the same kit. In addition to the mid-section struts issue described in the build thread, I found another snag when I researched for the correct size and position of the wing roundels (so by far too late). The interplane struts are positioned too close to the fuselage, they should be one rib closer to the wingtips. In this the kit follows the Putnam drawings and they are wrong here. I did not have the morale to dismantle the wings once again, so I left it unaltered in my kit. I will be more careful next time I build a Choroszy Plover :-).