Another Airfix Bulldog! Finished!

It would seem SA Bulldogs are akin to buses and you wait ages for one and then three come along in a row! Looking at AndrewE's earlier entry I was inspired and managed to snag one of these on Ebay for about $5 (plus the same again for postage, so not quite the mega bargain!) and it just arrived.

I was a bit worried what state the decals would be in after seeing snapper-city's photos but these seem okay and appear to be in register, so i will be doing the RAF version. I like the look of the Swedish one green and orange but I fancy something a little brassier.

A lot of the parts are off the sprues already but I think everything is there. I may attempt to rescribe some of it, although the surface detail doesn't seem too bad and the real thing was a little rivety.

Cheers

Segan

bulldog1_zpsb1a08bf0.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 1

The more the merrier! I have been working on mine all evening so will post an update tomorrow. Tonight's lesson for me is that you need more weight in the nose than you first think you do!

Andrew

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was really hoping to get off to flying start last week with this but life got in the way and it was not to be. So today i finally got to sit down and spend some time on her.

I made the seats a little wider, as they looked a little wee without the pilots sitting on them, and added some belts out of tape. Blended in the rear windows a bit, filled the hole in the center console (which I think is there to accommodate a stand if one wants) and gave it all a lick of paint. So far everything goes together very nicely and test fitting has revealed no problems.

cheers

Segan

bulldog_zps4d8e7e2d.jpg

bulldog1_zpsc5f952bd.jpg

bulldog2_zps2c3a727f.jpg

bulldog3_zpsbe8579be.jpg

Do it Deacon, it's a lovely little kit to make!

I didn't have too much time for modeling this weekend but did manage to stick a few bits of plastic together. All fits pretty good with a little bit of filling here and there. Ready to add some nose weight and then seal it all up. Would love to get some paint on her this week

Cheers

Segan

bulldog4_zpsf174d0bb.jpg

I really like your pit. The seat belts really add to it all. It is good to see three of the same kit being built at the same time and seeing each persons approach at it.

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Yeah Mark it's nice to see the three kits come along together. I guess I have it slightly easier, being the tale end Charlie, while you chaps forge ahead!

I missed your whole thread about the wing colour, I didn't even think to look in the Modern Aviation section! This is the most modern plane I've ever built so it's not a section I frequent very often. Although it's a fairly recent plane it's very basic and reminds of something pre-war, which is probably why i like it.

Managed to get some weight in the nose last night, going to do a little balance test with the wings on before I glue it all together.

Cheers

Segan

bulldog5_zpse1e33cae.jpg

Got it all glued together, a touch of filler but not much and a bit of primer on it. I'm painting the windscreen separately. That's all till the end of the weekend as I have houseguests, at the touch of a button my modeling area flips over and is replaced with a guest room!

cheers

Segan

bulldog8_zps99dfb7b0.jpg

bulldog7_zps7abb095c.jpg

bulldog6_zpsd8bf6bb4.jpg

Got a little more paint on her. Undercoated the red areas with yellow to give the colour a bit more depth, then sprayed them with Tamiya XF-07 with a dash of citadel Wild Rider Red which is a nice scarlet. Hopefully get round to unmasking her later. I messed up on the windscreen as I masked the rear frame area, i did think it was odd there was no raised detail for this on the plastic, and sprayed it the interior grey. Then I realised the rear frame is molded as part of the fuselage, had to go back and strip the screen back to plastic and start again. I was at one point thinking this would be nice to do with the windscreen open but I guess that would be very tricky to achieve.

Cheers

Segan

bulldog11_zpsae99f58b.jpg

bulldog10_zps4ba10cbc.jpg

bulldog9_zpsf01230c9.jpg

Oops, but at least you found out before it was too late. I like the painting of Yellow before the Red. A question about this, do you spray or use a hairy stick? The reason I ask is that I use the hairy stick, and I am wondering if the method you have used still work using my painting style?

Liking the look of this. I thought about opening the cockpit but it would have meant cutting the glass and the rear would have been a pig to run over the fuselage. I really must push on with my one and get her finished. You two will be finished in no time.

Jabba, I'm not sure how easy it would be with the hairy stick. Ive used that method with a paintbrush when painting figures but then with shading and highlighting you aren't going for a flat finish it may be tricky on a flat expanse. Depends on the paint I guess. Reds and yellows tend to be a bit tricky coverage wise.

I'm (slowly) catching you up Snapper! Are you still having airbrush problems? Yeah it's pity the model cant be made with the canopy slid back without major work, I think it would look quite interesting. It would involve surgery to the fuselage and making a vacform canopy using the original and the bits cut off the fuselage, a little beyond my talents!

Cheers

Segan

Jabba, I'm not sure how easy it would be with the hairy stick. Ive used that method with a paintbrush when painting figures but then with shading and highlighting you aren't going for a flat finish it may be tricky on a flat expanse. Depends on the paint I guess. Reds and yellows tend to be a bit tricky coverage wise.

I'm (slowly) catching you up Snapper! Are you still having airbrush problems? Yeah it's pity the model cant be made with the canopy slid back without major work, I think it would look quite interesting. It would involve surgery to the fuselage and making a vacform canopy using the original and the bits cut off the fuselage, a little beyond my talents!

Cheers

Segan

I thought that might be so. I do normally paint a coat of matt red under gloss red so that it does cover the model better, but I was wondering if doing a matt Yellow coat may give it a bit more depth like you say.

I have sorted the airbrush and have micro-meshed the white back but this has tarnished the white so will require a respray. I'm hoping to crack on with it early next week when I am off.

Ak! Yeah I managed to get a few grubby paw prints in the white already! Looking forward to the progress.

I thought that might be so. I do normally paint a coat of matt red under gloss red so that it does cover the model better, but I was wondering if doing a matt Yellow coat may give it a bit more depth like you say.

Maybe split the difference and try and orange undercoat! I guess experiment on some scrap first though.

Got the tape off, few little oversprays but nothing too serious, had to do a little touch up on the white as my hands weren't as clean as I first thought!

Cheers

Segan

bulldog12_zps8cfc5dc0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Almost there, got the decals on and just a few bits and pieces to do, when I unmasked the canopy I found that my making job had been a little substandard but I think I can get rid of the paint bleeds. Not sure how i did such a slipshod job, but I did. Hopefully I'll get this all finished tomorrow.

cheers

Segan

bulldog14_zpsf7b9baa1.jpg

bulldog15_zps44b9489a.jpg

All done! Drilled the tiny exhausts before adding. Lovely little kit to build, the decals were a bit out of register so had to trim them a little or paint over the white bits I missed but other than that it was a pretty straightforward build. The cat (Monster) decided to photobomb the kit, she's a good indicator of scale I guess.

Cheers

Segan

bulldog25_zpsb00436dd.jpg

bulldog26_zpsc6e3d833.jpg

bulldog23_zpsa1318eb6.jpg

bulldog22_zps522733fc.jpg

• Like 5