1/48 Kinetic Alpha Jet A

Pappy

Just had a very quick look at this topic, before I open the doors to the builders and the ruddy plumber... loving all the work you have done. One question to wich the answer is probably in the post so please do forgive me if it is.. does the kit come with the pilot figures ?

jamie.

Sensational workmanship there - you've done a great job on painting the crew. I look forward to the next progress report.

I'll second that. Those crew figures are looking great.

Thanks very much fellas

Just had a very quick look at this topic, before I open the doors to the builders and the ruddy plumber... loving all the work you have done. One question to wich the answer is probably in the post so please do forgive me if it is.. does the kit come with the pilot figures ?

jamie.

G'day Jamie,

The kit includes two very nice MB.10's and even provides some PE seat belts (which I did not use), however no crew figures are provided. The figures I used came from a 1/48 Hasegawa F-16I kit. The Hasegawa kit also provides a choice of either the HGU-55 or JHMCS type helmets.

I started with the HGU-55 helmets but they need a little work to make them look a little more like a MK.4a type lid. The alternative would be to buy a couple of the PJ Productions figures. I haven't used any aftermarket on this kit so far (well, I will be using aftermarket decals) and don't really want to start now,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks very much fellas

G'day Jamie,

The kit includes two very nice MB.10's and even provides some PE seat belts (which I did not use), however no crew figures are provided. The figures I used came from a 1/48 Hasegawa F-16I kit. The Hasegawa kit also provides a choice of either the HGU-55 or JHMCS type helmets.

I started with the HGU-55 helmets but they need a little work to make them look a little more like a MK.4a type lid. The alternative would be to buy a couple of the PJ Productions figures. I haven't used any aftermarket on this kit so far (well, I will be using aftermarket decals) and don't really want to start now,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks for letting me know, really am loving this thread as I have had alot of close up work on the QinetiQ Alpha Jets in the past... no photo's at that time where allowed of the aircraft as they had only just been brought into the country and still had thier luftwaffe livery on them... much prefer the new black and white scheme but a rasperry ripple livery would be preety dam awsome.

Jamie.

Hello mate!

Love those pilots!

As far as I know,in flight the visors are without covers.

G'day George,

Thanks very much. The cover I am referring to looks like a piece of black cloth attached to the top of the helmet behind the visor assembly that stretches over the two visors (clear/tinted). You can see it pretty well in this pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurie-hughes/4650897136/in/photostream/

Thanks for letting me know, really am loving this thread as I have had alot of close up work on the QinetiQ Alpha Jets in the past... no photo's at that time where allowed of the aircraft as they had only just been brought into the country and still had thier luftwaffe livery on them... much prefer the new black and white scheme but a rasperry ripple livery would be preety dam awsome.

Jamie.

G'day Jamie, as you mentioned that you had first hand experience, I have a few questions which you could perhaps answer for me.

• I read on a different forum that the QinetiQ Alpha Jet cockpits were actually painted black, not grey, is this true?
  • I went with the reference pics of the Luftwaffe birds and painted my cockpit grey, with everything above the cockpit sills black but then again the Luftwaffe birds also had Stencel seats (the QinetiQ jets were re-fitted with MB.10's) so maybe the cockpits should be all black? Too late for me but it might help someone else.
  • You mentioned that the jets were delivered in their original Luftwaffe camouflage initially. I have seen pics of both the green/grey/silvergrey splinter style and the more common wraparound green and black schemes. I want to paint mine in the wraparound green and black scheme. From the pics, it looks to me that the scheme is green and a very dark grey or black colour, however the Model Alliance decal sheet states that the darker colour should be Black Green which I think is wrong and that they have confused it with the earlier splinter style three colour scheme? In pics where the dark colour has weathers, it looks like a grey colour, which is not how I would expect Black Green to fade. Your thoughts?
  • Do the QinetiQ jets ever carry any stores? If yes, what stores would these be?, I am assuming fuel tanks mainly

A ripple scheme would be pretty, and the Alpha Jet is pretty canvas on which to apply any scheme. A lot of ETPS jets have worn the scheme in the past, so it is not beyond the bounds of possibility, but these jets have usually been testbed aircraft for in service types, so I think that it will probably stay in the 'what If' category for now

Thanks for all the great comments gents,

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy, loving the build.

1. I can put your mind at rest about cockpit colours, they're grey.

2. The aircraft arrived in a black and green wrap-around scheme. Although the black looked a more charcoal grey on some airframes.

3. No stores :(

Cheers

Ian

G'day George, Thanks very much. The cover I am referring to looks like a piece of black cloth attached to the top of the helmet behind the visor assembly that stretches over the two visors (clear/tinted). You can see it pretty well in this pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurie-hughes/4650897136/in/photostream/

That's exactly what it is; all Mk4 helmets came with a cloth cover (velveteen inside to protect visors, attached via press studs on either side of the bone done, and held on with elastic). From the outside it just looks like a piece of black cloth, cos that is what it is.

Most RN pilots I know took it right off and stowed in a leg pocket somewhere (because we all knew someone who'd snagged his on an overhead panel during a rotors running crew change, and won switch pigs of the year awards by tripping a generator or something similar). Clearly the guys in that jet are too lazy to take it off and have just pulled it over their heads. Yours look spot on, Pappy.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

I think very few pilots took the cover off, I certainly never did!

I seem to remember that on mdc equipped aircraft it was recommended to have the cover across the gap at the top of the visors as a number of ejectees had suffered facial injury where the mdc had gone under the visors. Trouble was it got in the way when you raised the dark visor so I'm not sure how practical it was.

Cheers

Glen

I seem to remember that on mdc equipped aircraft it was recommended to have the cover across the gap at the top of the visors as a number of ejectees had suffered facial injury where the MDC had gone under the visors. Trouble was it got in the way when you raised the dark visor so I'm not sure how practical it was.

Cheers

Glen

Ouch! I am surprise to hear that the MDC was still there at all during the egress process as I would have expected the MDC to be sequenced to fire before the catapault primary/secondary carts fire and the main beam begins rising, after all, the MDC is supposed to make the canopy disappear before the seat get near it?

That's exactly what it is; all Mk4 helmets came with a cloth cover (velveteen inside to protect visors, attached via press studs on either side of the bone done, and held on with elastic). From the outside it just looks like a piece of black cloth, cos that is what it is.

Most RN pilots I know took it right off and stowed in a leg pocket somewhere (because we all knew someone who'd snagged his on an overhead panel during a rotors running crew change, and won switch pigs of the year awards by tripping a generator or something similar). Clearly the guys in that jet are too lazy to take it off and have just pulled it over their heads. Yours look spot on, Pappy.

Thanks very much, I assume the above mentioned incident required an offering of beer to appease the beer god!

Hi Pappy, loving the build.

1. I can put your mind at rest about cockpit colours, they're grey.

2. The aircraft arrived in a black and green wrap-around scheme. Although the black looked a more charcoal grey on some airframes.

3. No stores :(

Cheers

Ian

G'day Ian, thanks very much. If I was wrong, it would have been too late for my build but someone else may have been spared the pitfall. AS I said in my prior post, I was a bit dubious about the Model Alliance colour call outs as they state the black colour should be RLM Black Green, which it clearly isn't. I agree that the black fades quite markedly to a charcoal grey.

I have puttied over the pylon location holes (Kinetic provided these already opened), which was a minor annoyance but I was happy to open them up if it meant I could hang something 'interesting' underneath the wings. The kit looks a little naked with no stores.

May I ask your connection to these jets?

Thanks very much for the great info and replies, it is greatly appreciated.

I have painted up the heads today,

heads1_zps431c7a29.jpg

heads2_zps2ebb865b.jpg

heads3_zps84052729.jpg

They will still need their oxy hoses and regs added, which I will do once they are glued onto the headless bodies. I am neither a sculptor nor a figure painter but I am pleased with how they have turned out. From my reference pics, it looks like the oxy hose is a black hose with a chest mounted reg that clips onto the torso, any of the 'experten' please chime in if I have got that wrong as that will be my job for tomorrow, finishing the crew and buttoning up the cockpit,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

Hi Pappy

You're right, the MDC fires first to shatter the canopy. I think the problem was the MDC exploding caused burns and fragment injuries (known as MDC splatter). Even with a mask on and visors down there were skin injuries as there is a small gap between the visor and the helmet which could be sealed by the visor cover being placed at the top of the visor. I've been trying to find a picture but can't find one clear enough to show it!

Cheers

Glen

I think it varied from squadron to squadron in the FAA - and I'm guessing that aircraft with MDC don't do too many rotors running crew changes...

The aforementioned helmet-cover-induced switch pigs happened (not to me, I hasten to add, but on 820, which was my first squadron) only a few months after I went front line - and yes, Pappy it cost the perpetrator a LOT of beer. As soon as something like that happens, SPLOT and the other senior guys latch onto it, so for a while being seen with your visor cover attached but rolled up was a sure recipe for a bollocking. It became second nature to take it off after a while, so I did it automatically for the rest of my career. The chances of doing it again are minuscule, but since when did that ever stop rules being made just in case?

LOvely work on the chaps Pappy. The whole cockpit assembly looks fab.

Keep it up.

Thanks

Hi Pappy

You're right, the MDC fires first to shatter the canopy. I think the problem was the MDC exploding caused burns and fragment injuries (known as MDC splatter). Even with a mask on and visors down there were skin injuries as there is a small gap between the visor and the helmet which could be sealed by the visor cover being placed at the top of the visor. I've been trying to find a picture but can't find one clear enough to show it!

Cheers

Glen

Now that makes more sense. I think I would rather risk a skin injury rather than not being around to complain though!

I think it varied from squadron to squadron in the FAA - and I'm guessing that aircraft with MDC don't do too many rotors running crew changes...

The aforementioned helmet-cover-induced switch pigs happened (not to me, I hasten to add, but on 820, which was my first squadron) only a few months after I went front line - and yes, Pappy it cost the perpetrator a LOT of beer. As soon as something like that happens, SPLOT and the other senior guys latch onto it, so for a while being seen with your visor cover attached but rolled up was a sure recipe for a bollocking. It became second nature to take it off after a while, so I did it automatically for the rest of my career. The chances of doing it again are minuscule, but since when did that ever stop rules being made just in case?

It is always funnier when it happens to someone else!

cheers,

Pappy

G'day Ian, thanks very much. If I was wrong, it would have been too late for my build but someone else may have been spared the pitfall. AS I said in my prior post, I was a bit dubious about the Model Alliance colour call outs as they state the black colour should be RLM Black Green, which it clearly isn't. I agree that the black fades quite markedly to a charcoal grey.

I have puttied over the pylon location holes (Kinetic provided these already opened), which was a minor annoyance but I was happy to open them up if it meant I could hang something 'interesting' underneath the wings. The kit looks a little naked with no stores.

May I ask your connection to these jets?

Hi Pappy

When the F3's retired, back in July 2012, I took on the Alpha jets, with the occasional GR4 to help keep the sanity levels up.

But it's all good fun and can be very rewarding.

Ian

Hi Pappy

When the F3's retired, back in July 2012, I took on the Alpha jets, with the occasional GR4 to help keep the sanity levels up.

But it's all good fun and can be very rewarding.

Ian

Cool, now I have some experten watching, no pressure then!

Thanks Ian.

Welcome to today's update people,

I have finally got the heads attached to some bodies. It was a little tricky getting the oxy hose routed but I prevailed in the end. I had planned to add a chest mounted oxy reg but thought it would be too hard o paint in situ, so I left them off. Next time I will complete the whole figure before installing them, lesson learned!

crew2_zpse51c3f44.jpg

crew1_zps0c2ab0bf.jpg

I didn't notice the glue smear before, I'll have to go back and fix that!

crew4_zps4f11c565.jpg

crew5_zpsd4ac4df6.jpg

crew3_zpsbc72a296.jpg

The canopies were improved with the addition of rear view mirrors and grab handles

can1_zps678db4ca.jpg

can2_zps9947a27e.jpg

can3_zps8593e021.jpg

A quick test fit to ensure everyone would play nice together

candry1_zpse6e9f891.jpg

candry2_zps9b5b7e6c.jpg

Simples!

Pappy

• Like 1

A small update for today.

I have relocated the rear cockpit's rear view mirrors from the rear canopy bow to the mid cockpit mid section bow.

update1010_zpsd95dc6f7.jpg

update2027_zps6270d4e6.jpg

update2028_zps3e09dbcf.jpg

update2029_zps6cb28cbe.jpg

The two small external windows for the emergency cockpit access panels were also attached after painting the back of each gloss white. There should be two small handles behind the glass but I decided to take the easy option and let it go.The canopies are now glued into place and are awaiting masking!

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 4

Wow this is looking fantastic

Following this with interest

Aircrew look spot on - :goodjob:

Looking impressive. ..Spectacular work. .

Looks good to ME.

Way to GO :wow::popcorn:

Thanks very much fellas, I appreciate the comments. I am trying to sum up the motivation to mask the canopies, there is a LOT of real estate that needs to be taped up, and It may need to be done twice if I want to replicate the canopy sealant.

On the other hand, I could just wait for Eduard to release a canopy mask set...................