1/48 BAe Hawk to Develop Lighting Kit

Having recently developed the lighting kit for the 1/32 scale Revell Hawk I've been asked to develop one for the 1/48 Airfix Hawk kit. This will have the same lights as the 1/32 kit, ie nose light, wing tip lights and strobes.

This thread is to show the development of the lighting kit but I will use one of the Airfix kits to work out how it needs to go together.

Firstly on the 1/32 kit the nose light is a small SMD LED which sits within the nose section, on the 1/48 Hawk kit there is not enough room to install a LED so the nose light will have to be a fibre guide. Having built up the cockpit sections a 2mm hole was drilled into the bottom of the rear bulkhead.

IMG_0044_zpsded7291e.jpg

To get the guide through to the nose a notch was cut in the front bulkhead.

IMG_0045_zpsd7ec1da5.jpg

The guide secured to the underside of the cockpit.

IMG_0046_zpse230550b.jpg

A quick test with the fuselage taped up and the LED on.

IMG_0050_zpsf2226c8f.jpg

Next up getting the fibre guides to the wing tips.

Cheers,

Warren

Hi Vic,

I've used a number of different LEDs on various different kits, it all started with Sci-Fi. To get 1mm you are probably best using fibre optics, that is what I have done with the nose light on the 1/48 Hawk.

The 1/32 Hawk kit uses 4 LEDs, a small 1206 white in the nose, a 3mm white for the wing tips and 2 3mm red for the 2 strobes, the strobes are also controlled by a small microprocessor to provide the off set flash pattern. The 1206 is the smallest LED that I have been able to attach wires to, usually it is surface mounted.

There is a video of the Hawk kit running here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951759-first-aircraft-lighting-kit-132-hawk-t1/

The fibre optics would allow for several light sources to be used round the cockpit or wings and are easier to run than trying to get LEDs into places they won't go!

If you want any help at all just let me know, I am looking at developing a generic lighting kit in the near future.

Cheers,

Warren

Hi Warren

Many thanks for your reply, I take your point regarding the use of fibres rather than led's. I had planned to build a small diorama with the Canberra using a 1960's "Trolley Acc" (my era) to contain the power supply and switch gear.

Many years ago I used to use a 555 chip as the flash driver but no doubt there is a modern version of that chip out now.

When powered up on the ground the Canberra used to whine a bit from the various inverters running so I could maybe add a sound chip as well but that is down the line a bit.

I will let you know as I progress along with the build.

Regards

Vic

Look firward to seeing what you do Vic.

There are several different programming systems such as Raspberry Pi and Arduino which allow a large number of functions to be performed, ATtiny make an 8 pin chip with 8k memory giving 6 programmable I/O channels. The Hawk kit uses one of these and a small 700 bit programme for the strobes.

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks guys,

Quick question on the strobes before I get too far. Looking at the instructions they seem to indicate a red strobe on the decal placement pictures but I have been told that on the black Hawks have white strobes.

Which is right?

Cheers,

Warren

Guess the middle of a WIP thread is the wrong place to ask that sort of question so for now I have gone with the red LED. Controller and guides all installed now and fuselage buttoned up .

Will put up some more pictures this evening as the work PC won't allow access to Photobucket!

Cheers,

Warren

Hi Vic,

I've used a number of different LEDs on various different kits, it all started with Sci-Fi. To get 1mm you are probably best using fibre optics, that is what I have done with the nose light on the 1/48 Hawk.

The 1/32 Hawk kit uses 4 LEDs, a small 1206 white in the nose, a 3mm white for the wing tips and 2 3mm red for the 2 strobes, the strobes are also controlled by a small microprocessor to provide the off set flash pattern. The 1206 is the smallest LED that I have been able to attach wires to, usually it is surface mounted.

Hi Warren

I recently bought some pre-wired SMD LED's - they must be 0.5mm or even less. Reasonable light output, but may be a bit too dull for your purposes. I do like the fibre idea as an alternative, but wanted to point out the pre-wired very small SMD option too.

Bought these for some N gauge model train signals.

anthony

Hi Anthony,

I use a 1206 SMD on the 1/32 Hawk kit which is 3.2 x 1.5mm but is too big to go in the nose of a 1/48 Hawk. I have some even smaller SMD LEDs but just can't get wires on to them.

Cheers ,

Warren

Quick question on the strobes before I get too far. Looking at the instructions they seem to indicate a red strobe on the decal placement pictures but I have been told that on the black Hawks have white strobes.

Hawk strobes are selectable, red or white.

Hi Anthony,

I use a 1206 SMD on the 1/32 Hawk kit which is 3.2 x 1.5mm but is too big to go in the nose of a 1/48 Hawk. I have some even smaller SMD LEDs but just can't get wires on to them.

Cheers ,

Warren

My soldering abilities stop well before this - which is why I brought mine pre-wired :-) The wires on the ones I have look human hair thickness (ok - quite thick human hair) - they must have some pretty good equipment to solder those on.

Hi Anthony,

Sounds like they have used enamelled transformer wire, will have to investigate these.

Scarlet, thanks for that but selectable colour is not going to be possible so will stick with red.

Cheers,

Warren

Found the LEDs that Anthony has and ordered some for the Tornado lighting kit, which is next on my list of aircraft lighting kits.

Back to the Hawk, not much progress but fibre guides and wires installed into lower wings.

IMG_0075_zps3c64c091.jpg

Cheers,

Warren