MiG-21 UM

This is (hopefully) going to be the Neomega Mig-21 um conversion. The academy PF is the suggested donor for wings etc . also there - brassin wells, brassin engine, brassin wheels, brassin bronze u/c set and enough stickers to decorate my room. metal pitot is hiding from me but i know i have one or two skulking in a draw.

11784327495_763c24d704_o.jpg
  • Like 1

not sure, i have enough decals for about 3 different schemes, ill have to look into which was the latest version and go with that as i have the uprated engine.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got to make a start, the wife has decided we are having a new kitchen at the end of the month so its busy busy busy (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) hope it doesnt scupper me finishing in time.

12050688783_c49daeb366_o.jpg
various brassin bits with the u/c on.. the detail on the eduard stuff is lovely
12050395305_6cdbd0b2e9_o.jpg
the sum total of the acadamy mig that will actually be used
12050792234_5535b03bc0_o.jpg
time to start fitting the eduard resin upgrades into the neomega resin conversion. the wheel wells were not bad but the eduard ones are gorgeous. although designed for the eduard migs this past will go it without too much hassle.
12050395495_2b72fb3b44_o.jpg
the front bay will need a bit more work though. Neomega do supply an insert for this bay with extra detail, but as i had the eduard one...... still cant believe im taking a dremel to it though... hope i dont ruin it.
12051256596_eb6e8449b2_o.jpg
looks horrendous!!
12050688643_24a0d707d5_o.jpg
but once in, it looks fine thank heavens.

the wheelbay was built in to the radar housing, so, luckily, there was no work on the fuselage required, i just had to cut the radar bullet up and hope i didnt ruin it. Once it is epoxied in place it should be fine. you can only see the eduard bay once it is closed up as it lines up perfectly with the opening.

I have a Begemot sheet of decals which has schemes for two. the red and white checker pattern , and a 3(4) tone camo. ill probably do the camo one as i havent done a camo plane before.

• Like 1

the wheelbay was built in to the radar housing, so, luckily, there was no work on the fuselage required, i just had to cut the radar bullet up and hope i didnt ruin it. Once it is epoxied in place it should be fine. you can only see the eduard bay once it is closed up as it lines up perfectly with the opening.

I have a Begemot sheet of decals which has schemes for two. the red and white checker pattern , and a 3(4) tone camo. ill probably do the camo one as i havent done a camo plane before.

Very impressive. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Cheers,

Tom

yep, there is a lot of am, but seeing as the conversion is itself resin, i thought i might as well. it will be a very expensive kit in the end but ill only do one of these the once.

wheel wells painted up. the good thing about brassin stuff is the super detail. the bad thing is it all has to be painted, and done before glueing it in. when you have my eyes thats not so simple.

there are some pe bits to go in the front well yet but they will have to wait or they will get broken when masked off.

i used the same blue/grey colour as the underside will be, but built it up using thin washes to give a patchy effect rather than a stark block of colour. was then given an oil wash.

12089936405_ea7cae2d3f_o.jpg

• 2 months later...

Havent given up on this but I had to stop everything for a while. This means i will not finish on time but I'll post until the end.

the pit has been painted. this is one ill-fitting thing and will take some shoehorning to get it to fit together in the fuselage.

13451677295_f44565414d.jpg

13451677505_2b7dcdfdfd.jpg

rear pit only here.

• Like 2

Prior to trying to fit the pit i thought i had better sort out the engine. the pics are a bit washed out as they were over-exposed to try and show some detail.

13600196984_b667312056_b.jpg

there brassin engines are lovely things

13600196814_e1e11ef4f7_b.jpg

13599856713_fb417ebdf0_b.jpg

blue spot is lens flare :-(

13600196874_d2eb97cf94_b.jpg

when its in not much will be seen, but when has that ever stopped us :-P

13600196964_f7ec6dd2b0_b.jpg

tried these decals for the dials. not 100% accurate for my mig but better than featureless black circles.

printed up some decals for the headrest too. they look blurry as they are from a seat with faded writing.

• Like 1

finally got the courage to join it up. the pit etc fitted in the end but it took too much work to recommend it to anyone who hasnt done this sort of thing before or doesnt want to risk binning the lot. i had to remove all the side detail from the seats to get them to fit and remove most of the location tabs for the buckets from the fuselage and try to do it by eye. everything had to be trimmed to fit extensively. its going to take a lot of filling and finishing to tidy it up. the two fuselage halves had gaps everywhere which needed plenty of CA and zip kicker.

the pit will need a lot of repainting too as it has been handled so much.

13691639883_a841fce999.jpg

13691605265_597532dfba.jpg

13691612234_8b2eeb65df.jpg

well the academy wings and tail are now mated to the neomega resin fuselage and a coat of mr surfacer is on. they seem to have mated up quite well. thanks to liberal amounts of gap filling CA and various fillers anyway. The quickboost airscoops look better than the kits by a long way. have started building an internal framework on the vacform canopy. looks like the front part will need some serious blending in to the body :-( . took a shot of the back to show the engine installed. added the circular ribs in. ill add the fuel dump at the end. the rear edge is not thinned down too much as the resin it too fragile and dont want bits chipping off so i will live with it as is.

13947859403_2b9caeecbc_o.jpgm25 by omgpainful, on Flickr

13924692801_86f9e9028a_o.jpgm24 by omgpainful, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ndtJeb]13924700156_c353ede94e_o.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

i cannot take credit for the riveting. all riveting and panel lines are as it comes, already done. all i had to do was re-scribe and re-rivet anything i removed in filling /sanding.

internal frames done, ill do some detail painting and give it a wash later. i "may" add canopy locks later but they will just get knocked off at the mo'.

hand painted with Akan emerald green. i love this paint, it sprays on thin smooth and opaque and brushes on just the same.

13937180716_2f54db4a1f_z.jpg

the colour is on. this is mt first camo plane so its a bit of a learning experience. i did pre-shade it but is all but gone on the top, the bottom is ok tho. ill have to play with filters and washes to make it look a bit more realistic.

14050154884_4ff39c0278_c.jpg

• Like 2

This is fantastic. The camo is excellent. Did you do it freehand or use the blu tacmethod to get your soft edges?

Cheers,

Tom.

mainly freehand but i used whitetak to do where the camo meets the blue gray underside as the masking tape was pulling bits off the camo, and i had a lot of touching up along the wing edges as it was. i am at a bit of a loss as to how to weather and blend the camo now, so reading up on it, any suggestions?