M3A1 Halftrack (Tamiya 1/35 conversion)

I was hoping this would be the final build of 2013 but it has turned out to be the first of 2014 instead by a couple of days.

Having had it in the stash for about 30 years I though it was about time to get it built. The conversion from the standard M3A2 configuration in the kit to the earlier and more widely used M3A1 configuration mainly involves removing pieces such as the ladders, rear stowage racks and armour plate extension to the turret. The hardest part was then making good and adding back all the missing rivet detail. Stowage came from the kit and a Black Dog set designed for the White Scout Car. All the figures are from the kit.

I added a few details from a Verlinden detail set, the tracks are the rubber band ones from the kit using fishing line to pull them down onto the top rollers.

Andrew

P1050773_zps84a7804e.jpg

P1050780_zps0068285e.jpg

P1050779_zps5e2d7e38.jpg

P1050772_zps9bee6258.jpg

P1010770_zpsc5c5e846.jpg

• Like 1

I built this kit as a sprog, with the same crew figures - you've done a great job :) It's interesting to spot some of the work you've done to make the later model, so here's a pic of my dust-laden heap I snapped a few years ago when I retrieved some old models from storage :blush:

halftrack.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone.

That picture makes an interesting comparison. I had forgotten about the interior stowage area behind the seats which is I also changed from the standard kit.

There were a whole load of items I could have replaced as well with items from the Verlinden detailing set but in the end I decided just to go with the kit.

Andrew