Academy 1/400 Titanic

kpnuts

Hi all just ordered from ModelDockyards the limited edition with wooden decks and photo etch can't wait for it to come. Has anyone on here built her I am used to scratch building and have not built a plastic kit since I was a young lad I like to add details but can't think what I could add to this kit (can you tell I am excited) time to do some research.

I have this one in my stash and I doubt that you will be disappointed. I haven't started mine but have had a good look and there is a lot of photo etch in the box. The wood deck is nice too, thicker than most you get these days but very nicely done.

I haven't looked in the box for a while but iirc, the upper decks are marked with the locations for the internal layouts should you want to scratchbuild them.

I don't really think you need to do much more detailing than what's supplied in the box but you will definitely need to be experienced with working with photo etch. If you haven't already got one, I would suggest getting yourself an etch folding tool.

I can't wait to start mine but I have too many others on the bench for now.

There is a mini reference booklet in the box which is very useful and a little jigsaw of the box art which may keep swmbo out of your hair for a few minutes.

Now you've got me thinking about opening the box again!

All the best,

Jock

Hi all so it arrived today and here is how it arrived from The Model Dockyard
296dxud.jpg
and when you unwrap the box this is what you get
106c9le.jpg
and what you get when you slide it out of the sleve
2isw5j7.jpg
and when you open the box
2yuglnd.jpg
oh and on the side of the box it your ltd ed number
f54rq9.jpg
all very impressive (although i think they missed a trick here)the ltd sticker wont come off the box without damaging it which is a shame as you could have stuck it on the stand to show its a limited edition,jus a small point but it would have been nice.Anyway here's what the box contains.
178o4j.jpg
2e5mj37.jpg
2e5mj37.jpg
33enc4i.jpg
35hh7rc.jpg
amd089.jpg
2gwv0uw.jpg
wk5yc8.jpg
2pphvrp.jpg
15yt2mw.jpg
2ezieee.jpg
546jjn.jpg
so thats whats in the box, and, excited as i am to start thats all i will be posting tonight think it will be an early night for me think i have caught a bug or something,overall i am well impressed with this kit so far.

I have this one in my stash and I doubt that you will be disappointed. I haven't started mine but have had a good look and there is a lot of photo etch in the box. The wood deck is nice too, thicker than most you get these days but very nicely done.

I haven't looked in the box for a while but iirc, the upper decks are marked with the locations for the internal layouts should you want to scratchbuild them.

I don't really think you need to do much more detailing than what's supplied in the box but you will definitely need to be experienced with working with photo etch. If you haven't already got one, I would suggest getting yourself an etch folding tool.

I can't wait to start mine but I have too many others on the bench for now.

There is a mini reference booklet in the box which is very useful and a little jigsaw of the box art which may keep swmbo out of your hair for a few minutes.

Now you've got me thinking about opening the box again!

All the best,

Jock

Are you saying there are markings on the decks for creating the internal rooms and such. Also I have never used photo etch before and never seen the tool you refer to where would I get one from how difficult is photo etch then

If I remember correctly there are fine lines on the plastic decks showing an internal layout, it's been a long time since I looked at mine but there is something there.

The etching tools are the likes of Hold'n'fold/etch-mate/etch-partner, you can find them on eBay. I don't know how to post links or I would.

They all basically follow a similar design of two flat plates approximately 3 x 2 inches with a screwknob to clamp the together. The upper plate has a variety of profiles to hold just about any etched part and help you fold it to shape. Some are quite expensive but a worthwhile investment if you intend working with brass a lot!

Alternatively tools such as steel rule and safety razorblade will allow you to almost as much. One tool I cannot praise highly enough are a set of 'Xuron' model 450 smooth jaw tweezer nose pliers. They cost around a fiver (ish).

Have a look for tools at creative models.

Regards,

Kev.

I have actually made it - although not put any photos on here as I overlooked it. But the entire project took maybe 8 months or so.

Toms Modelworks are a great source of supplies and I ended up swearing by them. I do thoroughly recommend the benches set and the window frames that they do for the 1/400 titanic. They make a hell of a difference and it's only when you try putting the provided bench on the model that you realise how out of scale the benches are!

The wooden decks are beautiful. I sanded the decks down, but I'm not sure if it's entirely necessary to do so.

There are some odd "gaps" that I've never been able to fill, but most are hidden away and too awkward to try and sand down!

I will post some photos at some stage but it is a stunning model and will make a great centre piece in any room.

But as fiddley as they are, I cannot recommend the toms modelworks sets enough. You will not regret it!

Chris

Thanks for all The great advice I think I will start with the pe that comes with the kit as I have no spare cash at moment and I can always change the seats at a later date (how much would a new set of people cost anyway).

I'm not sure about the cost of the sheet of people... I'd very very happily make another of these though. It was a steep learning curve, but very good fun.

Not sure if toms modelworks do that sheet of etch or not?

The window frames are much much better than having to paint every one individually!!!

Chris

Ok so time to start checked out the hull tonight quite pleased with the fact it is already in one piece but still some work to hide the mould lines where the two halves are joined

b6vg4o.jpg

very pleased with the side moulding

bi8mkp.jpg" alt="bi8mkp.jpg">

2cfrxjr.jpg

314rmdk.jpg

2wron4g.jpg

Hi Chris been on to toms modelworks and they only list etch parts for 1/350 and 1/700 titanic unless I am searching their site wrong.

If you look on their category bar on the left hand side it shows an option for 1/400 ships there 4 sets in there.

http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_33&products_id=121

http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_33&products_id=129

http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_33&products_id=130

http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_33&products_id=131

Sorry if I seem a bit dim I have checked out the links and although the box on the right shows 1/400 ships selected none of the sets for the titanic I can see are for 1/400 on the first Page the first etch sheet for the titanic says 1/570 and the next one on the bottom right says 1/350 all other pages show different scales the seats for instance show them as being 1/144 scale what am I doing wrong (bet I sound like a right idiot) also I wonder what carriage would be as it is all in dollars so shipping costs would apply.

thanks for that chris so here's a little update on what ive done to her today

2wd223a.jpg

29e6ick.jpg

ive decided i am going to light her up so will have to drill all those port holes out.

If you give me half an hour, I'll check through my email history and have a look. Think it was no more than £3 for the 2 sets though...

Chris

hi chris ordered them it was £3.03 so you was pretty spot on

just broke my drill bit have to order another one closest i could find was 0.65 mm (that i had anyway) still i have other things to do like an Academy 1/35 tiger tank (never done a tank before) and just for fun i have decided to start my airfix Asto Martin DB5 but will be doing a custom job on it ( maybe trick paint scheme changes to bodywork who knows) like i said just for fun.

Right so thats all the port hole in the main hull drilled out

14ucm0x.jpg

120nfc5.jpg

mc9rhw.jpg

i know it dosnt show from the pics but all them portholes are drilled out so now just the upper deck to do. Now to do some research on led lighting. think i will need a lot more than i had on the Waverly.

hi all another small update

905zkm.jpg

here are the decks after removing the parts to apply the new wooden deck

25tavr6.jpg

2qv6ucn.jpg

this is how it looks with the new deck(i must say its the first part of the kit which has disappointed me) I thought the wooden decks were pre cut but on only the outline is precut (and that not very well) so i had to cut all the holes out myself (oh they are printed on the wood so you know where to cut) even so 1 mistake and you have ruined the whole kit (since you have already messed the plastic moulded wood up cutting the bits off to apply the real wood) very stressful, and of course i have made my first piece of PE look very closely i am sure you will find it.

hi not much tonight grand daughter round(they are so adorable even more so when you can give them back when they start crying).

Some of the PE is so small.

2whqs83.jpg

I had fun bending that i can tell you.

2z5kntc.jpg

here is where i am hoping you all kit experts can help, how do i straighten out this mast (no rigging goes near the bendy bit) .

Edited by kpnuts

Very hot water will soften the plastic allowing you to gently bend back into shape. Judging by your skills KP you may want to consider remaking it on a lathe or out of brass/aluminum tubing.

Thanks jockster I did consider remaking it but my wood lathe would not produce something that fine and I don't have a metal lathe, but the hot water idea sounds good to me.

Oh well been knocked back several steps my had the foredeck in the box and my missus put the lid on when she was tidying the dinning room. The mast is bent almost at right angles and the pe ratlines on one side look like a consetina don't know how I am going to straighten that out or if I can straighten the mast this time (she says she didn't notice when she put the lid on it must have been difficult to shut it would have thought.