No alternaitve to Klean Klay in the UK?

JeffreyK

Hello sculptors and mould makers out there,

I'm trying to find an alternative product to the out of production Klean Klay. This is my material of choice when making 2-part moulds, sticking masters to the base plate for 1-part moulds etc. etc. The company that made the clay went out of business and the product isn't available any more.

There is an alternative product called "Protolina" by a US company called Van Aken and it's marketed as having nearly the same properties as Klean Klay, but try as I might, I can't find a UK seller, or a US seller that sells to the UK.

Does anyone here know a source for this product, or have an another suggestion? Before I discovered Klean Klay, I used Plasticine, but KK is just sooooo much better by comparison - smooth, soft (gets softer when warmed up), doesn't crumble and leave bits behind on de-moulding...

Even though I constantly re-use it, there is always a tiny bit that gets wasted after each moulding job so my supply is shrinking and I need to stock up on a new product with hopefully the same properties.

Cheers

Jeffrey

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just used my new block of Chavant NSP clay for the first time for setting up a two-part mould and what a nightmare that is!! It's absolutely no comparison to the good old Klean Klay. It's really difficult to work with, sticks to absolutely everything, is messy, difficult to clean off, doesn't even like being smoothed over the top with a finger. When heated, it get soft (good), but then kind of behaves like cake dough in that it gets even stickier!!

I don't think I'll use it agan.

HOWEVER: I've just found a stockist of the afore mentioned Van Aken Protolina clay in Ireland, they sell on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Akens-Klean-Klay-Alternative-Oil-based-sulphur-free-clay-modeling-casting-/231559549571?hash=item35ea065283 . Needless to say I've ordered a block straight away. I really hope it will be as good as the original Klean Klay...

Jeffrey