1:48 P-51B Mustang 'Shangri-La'. Tamiya.

Once in a while its a good thing to go to stash and select something on a whim. Take it out and just build it without getting tied up in knots about planning, research, finding etch sets, decals, improvemnets, etc etc. Just reconnect with the fun of building, open the box and crack on!

One of my all time favourite aircraft is the P-51, and one of my all time favourite kits is Tamiya's P-51, so out of the stash it came. If you have never built one of these, you are missing a treat. It goes together beautifully and is a pleasure to build.

Mustangbox_zps1a7115e1.jpg

I chose 'Shangri-La' flown by Captain Don Gentile of 336 Fighter Squadon, as I remember buliding Revells 1:32 scale kit of the smae aircraft in the 1970's, and I like the 'boxing parrot' marking. I put the pilot in as I had no etched seat belts and he was a good way of covering that up!. The only aftermarket I added was s pair of True Details resin wheels as I happened to to have a spare set with nice block tread on. Other than that it is an 'out of the box' build.

After a simple, straightforward, fun build, 'Shangri-La' is now complete;

Mustang1_zps09d4fc9f.jpg

Mustang4_zpseaaab36f.jpg

Mustang2_zpsee699521.jpg

Mustang3_zpsc687df17.jpg

Mustang5_zps186e67aa.jpg

Mustang6_zps9eddda9a.jpg

Mustang7_zps4c654d0e.jpg

Did I mention that I like Mustangs? Here are a few more :winkgrin:

Mustang8_zps250cbedf.jpg

Mustang9_zps5b2f4851.jpg

Mustang10_zps8f6bd457.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy new year to all. (My top tip for 2014 - Build a Mustang!)

John

• Like 11

Lovely stuff! They're all very nicely done, I really like Shangri-la but the first NMF -D model is my personal fave.

I definitely know what you mean about cracking on with an OOB build, I'm looking forward to doing just that with my first Airfix Lightning next week.

Happy new year!

Once in a while its a good thing to go to stash and select something on a whim. Take it out and just build it without getting tied up in knots about planning, research, finding etch sets, decals, improvemnets, etc etc. Just reconnect with the fun of building, open the box and crack on!

John

Do you know, I think thats some great advice and something I need to take notice of.