F/A-18A RAAF 20th anniversary - COMPLETE

Pin

• 2 weeks later...

looking excellent Pin.

I think it was external contractors that painted the real jet. I always wonder if they just got the orientation of the roos wrong (the feet should always point inwards on the roundel) or it was deliberately done the "wrong" way?

Bruce

Great build, i have these decals for a build one day, Hope it turns out as good as yours is going! :thumbsup:

looking excellent Pin.

I think it was external contractors that painted the real jet. I always wonder if they just got the orientation of the roos wrong (the feet should always point inwards on the roundel) or it was deliberately done the "wrong" way?

Bruce

Bruce, The roos were intentionally painted this way as it was a display jet and when doing a knife edge pass the roo would be the right way up!

I do believe there was a competition of sorts within the Hornet SQNs for the design and this was the winner modified slightly.

The only problem with the slicers is that they are **** small - the width should be about 0.2-0.3 mm

I made them of paper that was soaked with liquid superglue, primed with Mr. Surfacer and sanded.

Regular office paper is a nice material for such things - affordable, thin, easy to cut, one can design an outline with CAD of choice, print and cut afterwards, and once soaked with superglue it loses its texture and becomes sandable and paintable.