Castell Mawr - A long term project

'V'

Back around the time I stopped visiting britmodeller (as I wasn't managing to get any aircraft built) I began a large layout.

It's nowhere near fully built, although currently abandoned at a friends garage back in Milton Keynes as I have nowhere down in Dorset yet suitable to store it and it's booked into the Milton Keynes exhibition in February.

I thought some pictures may be interesting to those with a railway modelling tendancy !!

It began in october 2011, the plan was for two sides each made up from 4 boards 40 inches long and 20 inches wide. One side to be the fiddleyard, but scenic as I have always considered it wasted space otherwise. The other side to be a station with an island platform, a builders yard towards one end with a coal yard and cattle dock at the other.

It began with the standard 'tray'

fsxr.jpg

q8sn.jpg

djii.jpg

Track laying was a slow job with all points operated through decoders.

7ui8.jpg

I'll post some more soon

'v'

O.K lets do a PTII

Boring straight track on which to park stock until required, but add some buildings and vehicles it won't look quite so uninteresting.

za3f.jpg

eeti.jpg

Cuckoo Lane level crossing at one end of the sidings.

talj.jpg

The other side with station has a complex station throat each end.

g2zb.jpg

22gx.jpg

The island platform has a passing loop behind it for goods.

xwmv.jpg

Coal yard end with more scenery

uh6a.jpg

Enough photos for one posting.

'V'

• Like 2

I'll add a PTIII and then no more until tomorrow.

All this work has kept me well away from aircraft modelling ...... still waiting for that bug to bite again !!

My builders merchants end of the station

4km5.jpg

zlsv.jpg

z63n.jpg

Outside the station forecourt.

4y5k.jpg

Hope somebody has enjoyed looking.

'V'

• Like 1

Yes, Silly of me not to say. It is '00' 4mm scale on undersize track.

The full circuit is roughly 45 feet, a minimum size to have a decent

length station that will take 7 coaches.

'V'

A picture taken before the platforms were painted - saw it again today when searching for something else.

Thought I'd add it ........ shame Its not all in focus.

k6ra.jpg

I do like the Collett Goods ....... have a GWR green one as well.

'V'

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great detail.

Oh, how I wish I could get mine down from the loft and re-build it again but I suppose I will have to wait until my daughter moves out so I can use her room. Then I will have to do battle with the wife and persuade her that it's something I need to do to help me get through middle age.

Shame it is such an expensive hobby now though

• 8 months later...

Oh Dear ......

It's such a long time since I posted, bet everyone thinks I'm dead !!

No such luck, hale & hearty at 72 & so busy I don't finish half of what I start. Most of it's sitting

somewhere to be found. My excuse is moving home is traumatic, Northamptonshire to Dorset

and Downsizing causes problems !!

Still IF I can remember how to post a photo I'll add one .....

IMG_0261_zpsd3a309c9.jpg

A couple of end boards getting near .......well by my standards !!

'V'

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Errrr Two years later !!

This project had it's 5th Birthday back at the end of September.

I'm having to press on as it's booked into an exhibition at Milton Keynes in February.

The last few days I've been adding my stations platform lights, the one I preferred

was too short, so each light has had a 7 mm stub added at the base.

While I was working on it I took a couple of photographs. Oh and this thread has lost

photographs from when I left Photobucket and went to Imageshack who have dropped

all my photos as I wouldn't become a paying customer. Sorry.

IMG_2012_zpsku9gwnu5.jpg

IMG_2004_zps7r50ij1w.jpg

IMG_1965_zpsy90oxsjy.jpg

Given up tonight as a new pot of Humbrol paint is unuseable sludge !!

'V'

• Like 1

Hi V

Looking very nice indeed, the shot along the platforms looks particularly good, great curves.  The oil staining on the track and ballast looks particularly effective.  Keep up the good work and hope the exhibition goes well.

All the best
Chris

Thank You bigbadbadge,

Two steps forward, one step back !!

Added 15 lights to my station platforms, one not so bright, then failed. All glued in and wired-up.

I think it may have been a failed connection in the light, certainly not from my lighting loom as I

tested that. Superglue de-bonder allowed me to extract most of the base without damaging the

platform although some electrical bits couldn't be removed as trapped in the double skin !!

A couple of pictures :-

IMG_2021_zpsjadsfomj.jpg

IMG_2022_zpscpr3dxv8.jpg

You can see the failed light when it was weak, 4th up on the island platform.

'V'

• Like 1

I have some research plans of a station I lived near to, even got a 1943 photo of the station roof being taken down, took scores of photos and took alot of measurements but alas in all for 'One day . . . '

I love to see such layouts, its really inspiring to see such work although I have no doubt it takes years of practice and struggle to achieve such great results.

Can you post a plan please 'V' so I can better 'view' the scene ?

Overall its very impressive, with the lights, more so.

Please keep us updated . . .  .

Hi Mancunian airman,

You know I'd love to send a 'plan' but I'm reluctant to draw plans because until I start laying track I don't know what I'll run with. I call it being artistic and I just work to the basic idea in my head. My idea was that most model railway exhibitions have compact stations and with so many being end-to-end the rolling stock is limited in number and speeds. I fancied something where a 9 coach express can roll non-stop through a station and not look cramped.

My other gripe is that the larger and usually club layouts have quite large fiddleyards off scene, track on bare boards - Why I thought waste so much potential modelling space ? As a result this offers 360 degree viewing while it limits my fiddleyard space the scene there is still an integral part of my overall layout. I might be able to add a link later to a video ...... This is the fiddleyard sidings, or better, sidings come fiddleyard !!

IMG_1878_zpszgpsshv3.jpg

Nothing wrong with trying to develop a plan for some future project. If you've not done much scenic or railway modelling start with a small piece of ply

and just experiment. I found it most relaxing as I didn't need to be prototypically accurate. Try making a Valiant from the Mach2 kit, perhaps it was

making two of them that made me stop aircraft modelling, perhaps the two Contrail Valiants also had an influence !!

If you're into Bomber Command then a good place to be is the IPMS Bomber Command SIG. I believe They had quite a large display at Telford.

'V'

Edited by 'V'
Fault in line spacing
  • Like 1