1/48 Fighting 48th Firefly VC

Calum

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I've updated this one. Progress has been made albeit slow.

I had some decal issues having to replace the decals on the right hand side which resulted in a a major touch up.
Anyway here are the photos

Firefly-VC-52.jpg

Firefly-VC-53.jpg

Firefly-VC-54.jpg

I'm thinking of adding a figure but haven't decided where as yet. I have issues with the sizes of the 1/48 Figures I have. The resin one is from Art of War, the Grey one is from the Tamiya set. There is a good thread over on missing Lynx on these figures.

Firefly-VC-55.jpg

With the gloss coat on I applied a pin wash using the Black and Brown Tamiya enamel washes. The were mixed together in places as well.

I then applied a flat coat (Testors Dullocate) followed by some Filters from Mig (Allied Filter Set) and a other filers/washes.

I also did a bit of chipping along some high points using a sponge and Vallejo grey green

Usually Dullcoate is imperious to enamels but during his process I had a few troubles in places (maybe I didn't get good coverage) so the next flat coat was from Tamiya

Firefly-VC-56.jpg

Firefly-VC-57.jpg

Firefly-VC-58.jpg

At this stage I was quite unhappy as the model had lost a lot of it's colour and looked quite dark, much darker than I'd expected. So I reapplied a bright green filter (Green one from the Mig Allied filter set) which has restored a bit of the green tinge to the model.

Firefly-VC-61.jpg

Now onto the tracks - if anyone can offer some hints on how to weather/paint these don't hold back

• Like 3

I applied a couple more filters, made from low odour turps and Humbrol enamels to green it up slightly more.

Firefly-VC-62.jpg

I'm going for the dusty look. I spent a few evenings doing some weathering with oil paints. First time I've used oils so extensively, not sure I'm convinced I did it right. But I'm happy with how it looks now. Might try some pigments next.

Firefly-VC-63.jpg

Firefly-VC-64.jpg

Firefly-VC-65.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly ready to call this done. I've spent the last week or so playing and learning about Pigments.

Firefly-VC-66.jpg

Firefly-VC-67.jpg

Firefly-VC-68.jpg

Firefly-VC-69.jpg

Firefly-VC-70.jpg

Firefly-VC-71.jpg

I think it's about as dusty as I want now but I still want to add a figure and put it on a base... I've got until the NSW models show to get the figure done at least.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly done.

This is the base I've made for the Firefly, the street is a silicone sheet you buy and cut out. The dirt is paster with some dirt from one of the fossils that kids dig apart. The Foliage is some of little tufts I bought from BNA

Firefly-VC-72.jpg

Here's the Tank , with figure on the base. I think the base might need a bit more dust/dirt....

Firefly-VC-73.jpg

I've done some more work on the base to dirty the road up a bit

Firefly-VC-74.jpg

Unfortunately the pigments have exposed lots of little holes in the silicon :( I think it's a flaw in the moulding.

Not much I can do about this (I'm not filling all those holes) so it is what it is.

Firefly-VC-75.jpg