A Whiffie - Heinkel He-177Z A2 - Anti-Shipping version

trickyrich

Really makes me want to build a Revell He-177 after my He-111!

you should, the Revell model isn't all that bad, just some minor mould issues I've found, nice detail and scope to add more, plus plenty of extras available.

I sooo what to get the 1/48 version MPM model but space and cost for the resin one is the issue, though if you look around you can get the plastic version for around the same price as the Revell A6 one. I a mild state of madness (or maybe too much tequila!) I was thinking about doing this build in 1/48! :banghead: Would have worked out cheaper!!

• Like 1

Thanks Guys.

you should, the Revell model isn't all that bad, just some minor mould issues I've found, nice detail and scope to add more, plus plenty of extras available.

I sooo what to get the 1/48 version MPM model but space and cost for the resin one is the issue, though if you look around you can get the plastic version for around the same price as the Revell A6 one. I a mild state of madness (or maybe too much tequila!) I was thinking about doing this build in 1/48! :banghead: Would have worked out cheaper!!

Hi Rich,

Don't go to the 1/48 version I am still building one and it's a desaster. Aspecialy the cockpit glasing is not fitting very well.

Mine is still lying on the shelf of shame.

O, and the Horten wing was the nightfighter version. I hear you think now what a shame, but these are the left over parts of a conversion of the singleseat body with the nightfighter. I hope to do this some justice with opened up engine bays.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

A single seater would be nice, I have built both, single and two seater versions, nice models!

Actually I'm half thinking of moding the Go-229 nightfighter and fitting a Fug 240 "Berlin" Radome!

I’ve built the "B" Nightfighter model and from memory it’s radar is meant to represent an FuG218 (?) antenna array. It actually looks terrible in my opinion and they were known to add additional drag which dropped top speeds. Plus something that advanced in "46" would have had the newer Fug 240 radar fitted or even the FuG 244 or even the FuG 244 "Bremen"!

So am very tempted either to mod the one I’ve already built or if I can get one build one up suitably modified! :hmmm:

ok I see someone has had the same thought and beaten me too it.........

http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=com_deeppockets&task=catContShow&cat=22&id=1982&Itemid=35

I also see evilbay has a couple available.........I can already see whats going to happen! :doh:

Nice page. I didn't know this one. I am also thinking of modifing the nose. I have a bremen nose of the ju 88 but that is a little bit to big. So I have to think something of it.

Cheers,

it does look good and is what I think a nightfighter version would have looked like.

Arr do you have an FuG240 Berlin nose or a FuG244 Bermen nose? I know what the Berlin looks like and have a 1/72 version, to go on this beasty, but the Bremen? I am having trouble finding much info on it. I do know that depending on it's mounting it could have had 360deg rotation, the first "AWACS"?

I don't know, I think the larger radome could work. You would need to enlarge or add a larger fairing for the radar, most of it I think would be on the underside. As a result you would be able to drop the nose wheel down a bit, make room for the additional avionics of the radar! Think it would work!

You know you are a very evil person putting all these ideas in my head! :nono: you know I'll now have to build it now :doh:

Ok I have started the research park and have found the required bits on evilbay. I think the parcel delivery guy/gal knows my place off by heart now!! My wife reckons she should be able to buy a pair of shoes for each model I buy........we don't have that much space!!! :D

At this rate I'll never get around to building a normal model again............but it is fun! :D

oh well I know we are off thread, but it's my thread!

• Like 1

Sorry, my mistake. It's the Berlin nose from quickboost. And you know you want all these projects. Hehehe

Luckely is the "Berlin" nose is from one cast of resin. So I can reshape it a little bit.

O, by the way I love what if's. But I think you already knew that.

Cheers,

oh I nearly forgot about this, was the last bit I did before I headed off.

The weapons arrived, so I couldn't help myself and had to have a play.

DSCF1096_zps02d231bd.jpg

This will be the main weapon for this build and will be fitted on the new centre pylon.....if it fits! Being typical Unicraft it required quite a bit of work to clean up, it needs a wee bit of filler but will look good when finished.

DSCF1097_zpsb913fd29.jpg

These are much better, typical Antares quality. One of these will be for the big beast. I'm actually I'm thinking of adding the rocket section of the Hs293 to the second bomb pictured, sort of a crude powered atom bomb. Ultimately I think the "Amerika" project was intended to carry atomic weapons if they could have been developed.

The small one at the top of the pic may be fitted on this project, will have to think about it, if it is it will powered as well.

Only 11 days to go till I can get back to this and the Mig21 STGB as well. That GB has given me an idea for the colour scheme for this beast, it will be based on the "splinter" scheme of the Mig!!! :wicked:

• Like 4

That's looking even more frightening (to an enemy) than the first pictures hint at. Excellent Work :thumbsup:

The greek model is exactly what I had planned to do as well :weep: at least I can change my mind now. After I've moved house of course!! Not building anything is giving me too much time to spend money and dream up new projects :banghead:

• Like 1

Sorry, my mistake. It's the Berlin nose from quickboost. And you know you want all these projects. Hehehe

Luckely is the "Berlin" nose is from one cast of resin. So I can reshape it a little bit.

O, by the way I love what if's. But I think you already knew that.

Cheers,

I can blame you for this :D, I now have a Ho229B and "Berlin" long nose on the way!

Another one for the project queue. :whistle:

Will go into detail more in the Whiff chat

• Like 1

I will think of some new projects for you to keep you bussy.

Cheers,

I just came op with one the arado Ar 234P. "Berlin" nose and a C version from Revell. Good luck.

I will think of some new projects for you to keep you bussy.

Cheers,

I just came op with one the arado Ar 234P. "Berlin" nose and a C version from Revell. Good luck.

Dragon has that one, I seem to remember spilling liquid glue all over the canopy of mine......now it's in the box of doom! May drag it out one day for a whiff project....

Dragon has that one, I seem to remember spilling liquid glue all over the canopy of mine......now it's in the box of doom! May drag it out one day for a whiff project....

I was more thinking in 1/48.

Hi Rich

Love the work so far but come on stop teasing us with pictures of sub assemblies what's the progress on the beast itself ?

Cheers Pat

not much I'm still at work, with luck this time next week I might be able to do a little bit more. Can't see any major progress until I'm on holidays.

• 1 month later...

again after what seems forever I'm finally back on this........well in between the Mig! :yahoo:

Well the build for the cockpits is finally done, the radar operators space looks great, almost exactly as I planned it! So all interior areas have been given a base coat of RLM66, I will give this a good 24hrs to dry before I start the detailing.

DSCF1135_zps3f1c4977.jpgDSCF1136_zps987d9d17.jpgDSCF1138_zpsf4ab6523.jpg

I took the plunge and started on the radar nose, had an idea of how I wanted it to look so just hooked in with files and Dremel, much dust later..... It’s going to look good, if I’m clever i’ll make a resin copy (never done that before) for the Amerika bomber. I’m keeping the flat undersides of the nose and will profile the rest of the nose to match...hopefully! This is because I need to fit a 50mm Bk.5 cannon in the gondola below it, which will require some major changes to the front section of the gondola. Similar to that of the He177A-1/U2 Zerstörer, but only with bigger cannon! :wicked:

DSCF1139_zpsa700a4ab.jpg

I still wasn’t happy with the centre wing section and my “special weapons” pylon, it was too long and just didn’t suit the design I was after! So whilst making the new radiator fairing I had a bit of the brain-wave (they have also been called crazy ideas as well). I need to lose one of the rear facing machine guns in the port gondola to fit the Henschel GT.1200 (it’s very long) and I’m not sure it’ll even fit on the new centre pylon! So I decided to fit a remote 20mm turret in the end of this fairing. It shortens it nicely and would just be the thing that some mad designer would fit there.

DSCF1137_zps801440f4.jpg

So using the lower sections of the removed tail gun fairings joined together, this was then fitted to a cut back centre section fairing. As you can see I’m using plastic to make up the bulk of the new fairing. Once complete it will give me a good location for a weapons pylon, I might still be able to fit the GT.1200! The new 20mm cannon will be controlled by a remote sight system fitted in the gondola where the machinegun was removed.

DSCF1140_zps594d1f50.jpg

DSCF1141_zps32a68f30.jpg

It’s now starting to look like a real beast! Once the fuselages are closed up and the centre wing is finished then the next build is the new tail. This is a centre section only, no outer elevators, I think I’m going to have to build this from scratch....that’ll be fun!

note: I originally posted this yesterday but the server crashed as I was unloading it!

• Like 5

Howabout a single double tail wheel built into the central elevator as FW 187. Its going to be a beaut whatever.

Interesting idea but I don't think it could support the weight plus would have to be quite long for ground clearance of the tail units!

Ok lots has been done but forgot to take photos of some of the stages....... :doh:

Both fuselages have been closed up finally!

Centre wing section is almost complete, am very happy with new turret, it looks the part. Small fairing on the top has to be resharpen as that’s the bulge to allow the cannon to depress further. So just need to tidy this section up and fit the new radiator and this section done!

DSCF1164_zps3f0d6369.jpg

DSCF1163_zpsfe2d236c.jpg

Opps forgot to take photo of the underside!

Made the new radome for the RHS tail, this was made up of a large bomb and lots of plastic strip, given a basic shape before filler and shaping. The LHS turret was fitted (actually not an easy task) and filled. Both units have been given a coat of fine filling under coat to highlight flaws, so some more sanding is required.

DSCF1160_zpsc5f3c855.jpg

DSCF1161_zps42a61d90.jpg

Next major task was the nose cannon setup. Spent ages going through my boxes of spares just looking for the “right” shape I had in my mind. Eventually after I could find what I was after it was out with a couple of bombs and the plastic strips again. After an hour I had the basic structure I was after. A light trim with the Dremel and a good coat of green stuff and we have the start of the new structure. I want this to be quite streamline though big enough for the Bk. 5.0cm cannon and loading mechanism. This shape will change a wee bit as I start the shaping process.

DSCF1162_zpsd684cce5.jpg

It’s a bit hard here to tell what it’s going to look like or its current profile, once shaped it will be more obvious.

As I progress I loving this beasty more, will look pretty epic I hope once it’s done. Hopefully a “WhatIf” that looks like it may have actually existed!

DSCF1165_zpsf0e3e5ee.jpg

Have a week away with the wife so this and the Mig will have a little time to rest.......plus all the green stuff will have time to cure!

• Like 4

Always think the best 'Whifs' have the ability to make casual observers wonder if they are models of a genuine machine. You're doing a grand job Rich.

• Like 1