Trying to find pics of what is behind the stbd rear access panel in a Spitfire IX

Kallisti

Does anyone have any photos or diagrams of whats inside the rear inspection panel on the starboard side of the Spitfire fuselage? I believe from what I've found so far is that this gave access to the battery for the 12v electrical system, but I'm looking for more detailed images of this part of the aircraft.

All help gratefully received - this is in preparation for the next phase of my "Aircraft my Father Fixed" project, a 1:32 Tamiya Spitfire IX in 81 Sqn colours from Tunisia in 1943.

Thanks

One of the (if not the) best sources is the Wings & Wheels Publications' "Special Museum Line no.26" on the "Spitfire LF. Mk. IX in detail," which has several photos of that area. ISBN 80-86416-25-9.

Edgar

Well mark that down to one small measure of success, thanks to suggestions and richdlc mentioning it I've sought out the Monforton book, but couldn't find it in print but was able to get an e-book PDF version from here:

http://www.monfortonpress.com/

which has 2 1/2 pages devoted to this very thing! Sadly the PDF blocks being able to print, however it can't block being able to take a screen capture and printing that :D So now I have a set of diagrams and photos of the space behind the battery panel. Sadly I don't have anything yet from when there was a battery there. The Monforton book uses restored and rebuilt aircraft for its references, so I still don't know what the battery looked like. However, the old 1:24 Airfix Spitfires did have a small battery part that fitted behind the pilot in the middle of the part that comprised the lower wing

IMG_0009_zps754d0d8a.jpg

So maybe I can use this part (I picked up a cheap 1:24 Spitfire Vb from Very last week) to design a 1:32 scale version and add some wires etc that lead back into the main fuselage to give it the impression of being connected up.

What is really useful from these photos is it shows the ribbing and the control wires to the tail, so I can have a go at reproducing them. Thanks to everyone so far!

Edit: Now the postman has just delivered my copy of the PSL Spitfire book I picked up on Amazon and ther eon page 69 is another lovely shot, however its for the earlier marks so doesn't have a battery inside either. Ah well...

Edited by Kallisti

The battery (aka "accumulator") was set in its own housing; unfortunately I don't have a drawing (36136 sheet 11,) but it's available from the RAF Museum's library. From a partial view, in a photo in Monforton's book, it appears to have been basically a framework, but it certainly had a lid, probably to ensure that nothing could short out the terminals, and wiring looms exiting at each top end.

Edgar

Sure you aren't confusing it with the radio hatch in Monforton's book?

Well, considering that the photo caption says,"View looking forward through the rear battery hatch," it's possible to see the radio tray and aerial mast support in the far distance, and the framework is in the bottom left corner, I don't think so.

Ahh found it, page 2.16. There seems to be some kind of structure in the foreground which has slots to support the control wires.Its a shame the previous photo doesn't show anything very clearly. Oh well I suppose if there is this little information about it, very few people will be able to criticise me for getting anything wrong :D

Hi

try this google 'spitfire cutaway drawing'

this came up near the top of the image results, looks like it will give enough for cable runs and accumulator. Perhaps a more Spitfire knowledgeable member can comment on it's accuracy.

I know it's an XI, but would those details be different? AFAIK the cables would be the same, don't about the accumulator?

If you click on it it gets a lot bigger though ;)

HTH

T

supermarinespitfireprmk.jpg

Got Haynes manual butit wasn't much use for this question and that cut-away is the first thing I found that referenced a battery there. The drawing does seem to indicate a cover of some sort with bolts/tie downs to keep it secure. No sign of wiring however, but does show the control lines well.

Thanks for the suggestions however.

this came up near the top of the image results, looks like it will give enough for cable runs and accumulator. Perhaps a more Spitfire knowledgeable member can comment on it's accuracy.

I know it's an XI, but would those details be different? AFAIK the cables would be the same, don't about the accumulator?

Actually, Troy, the cable runs ARE different (or at least should be). They had to be re-routed in order to make room for the cameras. (Assuming, of course, that you're speaking of control cables, and not electrical cables aka "wires").

Merry Christmas!

bob