Mirage F.1 - new and accurate 1/72 model

petr@SpecialHobby

Hello,

I am really happy to introduce here our new full-CAD designed and long run steel-mold project, the iconic French Mirage F.1 in various versions and with very wide range of optional armament and other stores.

The preparations started some months ago and were held in secrecy for obvious reasons. Now the time is here and we can show you some of the first mouldings (clear parts) and also the almost finished steel moulds.

I am sure that this model will be a real gem and an ultimate Mirage F.1 on the market.

c
M-01_zps85019bab.jpg

c200
M-02_zpsdf7fa2a2.jpg

b
M-03_zpsdde3b7aa.jpg

b rear
M-04_zps1c4ac1a0.jpg

c bot
M-06_zpsc8a57098.jpg

cr bot
M-05_zpsaa6332fc.jpg

az
M-07_zps2ad6fec1.jpg

• Like 1

Great!

I hope we'll get an extensive range of missiles/pods/bombs/tanks, not only French, but also South Africans.

Russian maybe?

Based on the photo below....

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u677/petr-MPM/Special%20Hobby/Mirage/M-02_zpsdf7fa2a2.jpg

....it seems it comes with (from left to right):

- Matra R.550 Magic Mk.I AAM

- Denel A-Darter? AAM

- Matra Super 530F-1 MRAAM

- GBU-16 LGB

- ARAL 1B Phimat (chaff & flare dispenser)

- RP35 recce pod

- ASTAC recce pod (under the centreline)

- Raphael recce pod (SLAR)

- ARAB 8B Barracuda ECM pod (two variants)

- another GBU-16

- V-3 Kukri AAM

- another R.550 Mk.I

That's already 'eye-watering'.

If they now add an AM.39 Exocet, Harold and Syrel recce pods, RPL 201 ('Irakien') drop tank, Douglas IFR-pod, LDP laser-marker (plus obligatory SAMP BGL 400GP LGBs and AS.30Ls), Remora and CT 51F Caiman jammer pods, and V-3 Snake AAMs, plus those chaff & flare dispensers that were attached on wing underside, inboard of the inboard underwing pylon (I always forget their designation)... the box with this modell would contain literaly 'everything important', and nobody can say a single word of complaint. :P

BTW, very few 'Russian' weapons were ever matched to F.1, and if - then on what were actually 'prototypes', like that single Iraqi Mirage F.1EQ-6 (adapted for carrying Kh-29L/AS-14), or the single ex-SAAF 'Super Mirage' (re-engined with RD-33 turbo fan and adapted for carrying R-73/AA-11 Archers). Even Iraqis prefered to use Spanish and South African-made variants of US-made bombs (like the Mk.80-series) on their F.1s.

Edited by Tom Cooper

Thank you Tom,

Saying that I tought mainly about air to ground weapons but yes, my poor eyes only saw a magic were there was a kukri or darter...

And yes again, I was thinking about the Mirage F.1EQ-6/Kh-29 combination, I've seen a picture somewhere, certainly on ACIG.

I fully know that it was only tried (to which extent?) and not operationnaly used, but... I've to build it!

Don't remember if the guidance pod was carried by the mirage, or if there was buddy-lasing by an Su-22.

While the models look superb, a word of caution for those planning on purchasing a few kits for the armament variety, looking at the "pictures" you may be inclined to believe you will have all the armament in the kit when it is released, unfortunately I found out the hard way with the AH-1G Cobra helicopter release they omitted the exact piece of armament I bought 4 kits for (they had shown in these pre-production advert pics - that being the 7 tube rocket launcher!!!!!!! :weep:) so wait for the reviews of what is included in each kit before jumping in to buy multiples ... I hope the air brakes in the F1 can built in the deployed position!

Hi Petr ,

May I ask you whether the moulds are the definitive ones , or are they still in "evolution" ?

This question just as to know whether we can expect different fins arrangements ( SHERLOCK Upgrade) and fuel tank.(2200L).

These were to be seen on french Mirage CT and CR and can't be missed.

Please see my post in "Modern Jet Modelling ".

Thank You very much for this nice project., especially for this F1B.

Madcop

Thank you Tom,

Saying that I tought mainly about air to ground weapons but yes, my poor eyes only saw a magic were there was a kukri or darter...

And yes again, I was thinking about the Mirage F.1EQ-6/Kh-29 combination, I've seen a picture somewhere, certainly on ACIG.

I fully know that it was only tried (to which extent?) and not operationnaly used, but... I've to build it!

Don't remember if the guidance pod was carried by the mirage, or if there was buddy-lasing by an Su-22.

Gauging by photos above, you can still do so. The modell obviously comes with the necessary ALKAN 915B underwing pylon, to which you'll then have to add (a scratch-built, I guess) small adapter the Iraqis developed for attaching the APU-57 launch rail (necessary for the Kh-29).

On that - one only - Mirage F.1EQ-5 (serial 4563), it was still possible to carry the LDP CT laser-marker (under the LM37 pylon, installed on the centreline). This was made compatible with Kh-29s, and that's how Iraqi Mirages could lase for Sukhois.

The only problem I 'see' from photos above is: the LDP CT appears not to be within the box. At least it's not to be seen on any photos. This is quite surprising, especially considering that the - beautifully moulded, and impressively looking (no doubt about this) - but very rarely used RP 35P recce pod is, as are two GBU-16s (also rarely deployed even on French F.1CTs, which, as late as of March this year, were still primarily deploying SAMP's 'dumb' bombs calibre 200 and 400kg - against Islamist stupids in Mali, for example).

And I have to write here that our Cobra models will include all the armament that you can find on the adverts.

Is the box going to include the UHF-fillet, as added to Iraqi or Libyan Mirage F.1s?

(Lack of the same is one of major problems with many of F.1-modells in 1:72 scale.)

Edited by Tom Cooper

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...