Judge Anderson (and Iria/Chani)

On 16/08/2016 at 3:39 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Would that be from the 'Block-War' storylines? :hmmm:

I used to be a big fan of 2000AD, back when that was still a date in the future.....I've got the GW game and a few of the supplements in the Attic somewhere, plus a few of the figures too IIRC. :coolio:

I was there when they cut Anderson out of the 'boing' and I also watched Rogue Trooper wander out of the chem mists onto the pages of the 2000ad. Watching this build very carefully. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Poor Judge Anderson! I found her head in my box of in-progress stuff and it looked great, so I went to find the body. Cue an hour of going through boxes, I finally turned it up in the 00 Raiser box, safely in a ziplock bag to avoid dust.

The gloss suit looked great, but it turns out that she's gone sticky :( Definitely worse on the glossy parts, with a touch here and there on the matt boots etc. I assume this is the plasticiser migrating out of the vinyl and stuffing up the enamel cure? I don't think being in a sealed bag will have helped, but the head was similarly stored and is OK suggesting that primer + acrylic isn't the problem, the Alclad varnishes are. I was hoping that I'd sealed it well enough with the other layers, and and been generally careful enough to get away with it all.

So.... Can I do anything to fix it, like sealing with acrylic, or am I going to have to strip the paint off and start again?

Yours sadly, Will

• Like 1

So I've put JA's body in my cabinet, hoping that a bigger air volume but in theory not much dust might help whatever it is to dry again - it did all appear to dry at the time of varnishing. And I might well be fooling myself but she seemed a tiny bit less tacky today than yesterday, so we'll see what happens over a week or so.

Cheers,

W

• Like 3

I have had the same issue every time I've used enamel paints on vinyl kits, I came to the conclusion that the two are incompatible and only use acrylics now.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

Cheers,

Stuart

1 hour ago, Stu_davros said:

I have had the same issue every time I've used enamel paints on vinyl kits, I came to the conclusion that the two are incompatible and only use acrylics now.

That was my understanding too, with the caveat that it was OK to use enamels if you had sufficient barrier layers (I had lacquer primer and a few coats of acrylic paint) and did a test. My tests were fine at the time, but maybe I needed to leave them for a while to sit before proceeding. Maybe my varnish coat was too wet, or maybe it's as you say and you should never mix the two.

Live and learn, etc. 

Will

• Like 1

I've never used enamel paint on a vinyl kit, but all the instructions I've come across say not to use enamel paint straight onto the vinyl, as it will never dry.

As far as I'm aware, a good layer of automotive primer, as a base coat, should be sufficient to protect the vinyl.

Maybe the paint was still gassing out when you sealed her in the bag?

Hoping she dries out for you mate, would be a shame to have to strip her off.

Matt 

• 3 years later...

I thought I posted a reply here yesterday, but maybe I didn't hit "post" or something.

Anyway, after three years of thinking about it, I have dug JA out of the cupboard and tried a little enamel thinner on a cotton bud to see if I can remove the stickiness without removing the paint. So far so good! Tamiya thinner cuts a bit too quickly, but W&N Sansodor seems to be a bit gentler. The areas I treated haven't got tacky again yet, although that might be too soon to be really sure.

There is a slight problem in that the gold has tarnished as well, maybe because I used Alclad High-shine which might not be a straight lacquer? Or maybe I washed it with enamel? Can't remember. I think if I re-establish some highlights I can get away without masking and re-spraying the edges, as they're mostly going to be darker anyway.

So... progress of a sort. I'll post some pics when I'm done cleaning the enamel and her wet-look sticky suit looks more practical again.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3