The new Lightning

Essex

L4.jpgL5.jpgL3.jpgL2.jpgL1.jpgHello Folks,

I'm a newbie here; just starting to get back into modelling, was pretty good in teens and twenties and then a lapse but having been stuck at home for around five months dealing with tonsil cancer (all good news now) I have been filling a bit of time with the knife, plastic and glue. Always been a bit of a cold war era fan, apart form the Spitty and other Battle of Britain things and tanks.

Just got my new Lightning direct from Airfix, email notification on Wednesday when stock was in, ordered and arrived on Saturday morning; great little model. I have been amazed at the goodies one can get now, etc, resin and great aftermarket decals compared to twenty years ago and also shocked at some manufacturers prices for not always accurate kits (Hasegawa dual Sea Harriers rings a bell) so was doubly delighted with the Airfix Lightning.

Now, I'm not really up for being a reviewer as not enough experience so here are my reactions; a very well engineered kit, great surface detail and restrained panel lines, in fact the best I have seen from Airfix. The decals are great and look very high quality. The make up of the components suggest an easy DIY conversion to an F6 is possible and, like the '48 scale Lightning it is likely the combined F2a/F6 in one box will be out sometime. I have a few of the more recent new tools like the Gnat and Spitfire and, looking at forum feedback it appears Airfix have been listening and tweaking the panel line effects as they go, getting better each time. The wings look right too.

Enjoy the pictures (if not there I am still trying to work out how to load them) and Airfix, please do launch some UK Phantoms and a Chieftain tank in 1/72........

Edited by Essex
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing that - once it arrives in Cheltenham I'll have one! But since sleepy Cheltenham has only just heard about the relief of Mafeking, I may need to wait a bit.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear of your recovery. The kit looks very much like a scaled down version of their 1/48th kit, which can't be bad. The simplest F6 conversion would be to do one from the LTF. No cannons to worry about. If you did a standard F6 you would need to add cannon ports with their corresponding bulges and cooling holes in the forward belly.

Where does one look for the ducting, is it very obvious on photographs? Sounds worth a try - if not possible to do an F6 form the F2A what are the difference Airfix allowed for in the 1/48 model? I know we have gun pack in forward, or what was the forward belly tank but not the other differences.

Where does one look for the ducting, is it very obvious on photographs? Sounds worth a try - if not possible to do an F6 form the F2A what are the difference Airfix allowed for in the 1/48 model? I know we have gun pack in forward, or what was the forward belly tank but not the other differences.

Its the raised semi-circular tube that runs from just above the Firestreak Pylon, running aft to just in front of the tailplane, and runs along the top of the belly tank. The F2a (and F1a,F2 and T4) had these shortened versions (The F1 had none). The end parts are the two pointy bits below the main undercarriage legs in the top photo. The F6 (and F3,F3a and T5) had lengthened versions extending forward. The 1/48th kit has both versions in it.

The photo below is from Airfix's F1/F1a/F2/F3 1/48th kit. I built this as an F3, so you can see the full length cable duct on the top fuselage half, with the lower duct to be added. The F2a/F6 kit was identical to the 1/72nd scale kit in that it has the rear most section moulded integrally to the fuselage. The F6 when its issued will have the extended ducting along with the forward cannon pack in addition to the F2a mouldings.... certainly judging by the new F2a

100_5425.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

As mentioned elsewhere it is possible to do an F6, albeit the aearlier ones without the belly tank guns But as well as extending the ducts the upper cannon ports need to be filled and the small holes just behind and level with them. But it is quite clear that an F6 with the lower cannon fairings for the belly tank will be coming form Airfix and will likely include those overwing long range ferry tanks. The decals for the instrument panel include the correct strip type 'speedo' as on the F6 I notice.

As mentioned elsewhere it is possible to do an F6, albeit the aearlier ones without the belly tank guns But as well as extending the ducts the upper cannon ports need to be filled and the small holes just behind and level with them. But it is quite clear that an F6 with the lower cannon fairings for the belly tank will be coming form Airfix and will likely include those overwing long range ferry tanks. The decals for the instrument panel include the correct strip type 'speedo' as on the F6 I notice.

HI Paul, In your AVATAR photo, above the 92 Sqn chequers and roundel, theres a small rectangular panel with a small hole in it. This is the exhaust outlet for the Aden's. Now I don't have my hands on my Lightning yet, but can you confirm if Airfix have included it in their kit? If so it will need to be filled on an F6, and if its not there, should be added for an F2a...

I can see those ports on the fuselage so all good.

Not so good is the putative price hike for the F6 - it had better have the final 56 fin checker markings that's all I'm saying. :fight:

It better had not!! 56 Sqns F6s didn't have the red/white chequers on the fin....that was the F3

HI Paul, In your AVATAR photo, above the 92 Sqn chequers and roundel, theres a small rectangular panel with a small hole in it. This is the exhaust outlet for the Aden's. Now I don't have my hands on my Lightning yet, but can you confirm if Airfix have included it in their kit? If so it will need to be filled on an F6, and if its not there, should be added for an F2a...

Hi Bill(and others who have got their mits on this nice kit) I have had a look at the nose area for the gun exhaust vent (if thats what it is)and can say that all that is there is a raised lug and quite weeny too. No sign of a rectangular small panel or hole! You can just make this out in one of the above photos posted here. So Airfix have not got this bit right for the F2A, but would be Ok for an F.6. The position of this raised lug is about the right place so one needs to remedy this. I have just come in from my shed to report that what I did was to cut of the lug and drilled a tiny hole about .65mm. on both sides in place of said lug. I hope its in the right place now. The panel could be represented with a tiny square of black decal or paint. Hope this helps everyone.

• Like 1

From what I can see in photos it is a tube that exits the fuselage at an angle and is cut off at a scarf angle but actually protrudes very slightly beyond the skin (actually a removable panel around the pipe) just a few mills so maybe this is what Airfix have strived to represent?

For all you other F.2A fans out there, you may find this entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx_Vgkc1pC8

He chose the "proper" scheme as well!!

cheers

Rick

Airfix, please do launch some UK Phantoms and a Chieftain tank in 1/72........

Eh? Airfix have had a Cheiftain tank for ages, it's 1/76th like the rest of their armour, It only builds an early version, Mk.2

see here - http://matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/zairfix_chieftain_1.htm

, but as the link says

Conclusion

This is a good kit which has yet to be bettered in the scale and is worth a place in your collection. It is just unfortunate that as an early variant it is limited in its application.

Or do you mean a later Cheiftain?

They can do that after they make some classic British Armour in 1/48th... Churchill III/IV with sprue design for a I/II and VII....and a Centurion series.

I can hope....

T

It better had not!! 56 Sqns F6s didn't have the red/white chequers on the fin....that was the F3

Ooops. I remembered the fin shape and not the belly as well.

Sorry.

Airfix had better get their skates on (maybe tomorrow we will know) and do the F6 before the revised belly parts come out as AM. That being said I will be getting a couple of these at least in the meantime.

Take a look here.

http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/Lightning.html

and here

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/

I'd not mind a 48 or 35 Chieftain. Sadly the 1/76 isn't really that good and in an awkward scale. The Mk's I-ii were all evolution and prototypes. The early MK's lacked the power to even haul themselves onto a transporter. The MK5 was the first service variant 'proper' and no one makes it, the Tamiya is closer to a Mark III. Shame...

But isn't it great Airfix are churning out post war and cold war classic aircraft but just, no Phantoms....I am sure they would be a great seller and there is a nice variety of types, Navy, RAF, Navy sold to RAF, Navy and RAF schemes in blue's and green/grey and latter variations on barley and greys to keep enough people handing their money over to make it worthwhile. Even better, what about a 1/24 RAF or Navy Phantom...

Speculation re Airfix 2014 releases;

We have the big Typhoon...expect Lightning F6 and maybe some earlier Lightings.

A new tool HE111? Stuka?

I'd not mind a 48 or 35 Chieftain. Sadly the 1/76 isn't really that good and in an awkward scale. The Mk's I-ii were all evolution and prototypes. The early MK's lacked the power to even haul themselves onto a transporter. The MK5 was the first service variant 'proper' and no one makes it, the Tamiya is closer to a Mark III. Shame...

But isn't it great Airfix are churning out post war and cold war classic aircraft but just, no Phantoms....I am sure they would be a great seller and there is a nice variety of types, Navy, RAF, Navy sold to RAF, Navy and RAF schemes in blue's and green/grey and latter variations on barley and greys to keep enough people handing their money over to make it worthwhile. Even better, what about a 1/24 RAF or Navy Phantom...

Speculation re Airfix 2014 releases;

We have the big Typhoon...expect Lightning F6 and maybe some earlier Lightings.

A new tool HE111? Stuka?

The F6 will be along, sooner or later..hopefully sooner, but I doubt that we'll be seeing earlier marks for a while -certainly judging by the sprues of this kit, a whole new tool will be required. I'd expect Airfix to maximise their efforts on this tool for a while.

Not a big surprise but the F6 is on Airfix 2014 list just published; another nice one is the re-release of the PR Mosquito MK16 and a new one in '48, the Gnat. Couple of Blenheim's in '72 as well amongst others including, surprisingly a new tool Tiger Moth. Lots to like!

Not a big surprise but the F6 is on Airfix 2014 list just published; another nice one is the re-release of the PR Mosquito MK16 and a new one in '48, the Gnat. Couple of Blenheim's in '72 as well amongst others including, surprisingly a new tool Tiger Moth. Lots to like!

Indeed. Everyone on this thread will be happy about the F6

• Like 1

How many have noticed the glitch in the artwork for the gift set F.2A? I saw this in the image in the calendar. If one looks closely you'll see the one in the bacground distant is the same coming for you in the foreground. Serial and all! A sort of time lapse art work..