Tombo Fairey Fantome 1/72

The last kit from my collection going through the overhaul was the beautiful Fairey Fantome, built (carved out describes far better the necessary approach) from the Tombo short-run. This kit was the second unfortunate casualty of my industrial incident with wrong batch of varnish spray described here earlier in the Toko Sopwith Snipe thread. In case of the Fantome the paint had to be restored completely and almost all decals were replaced by new ones after the incident.

Back to the original built. The basic parts from Tombo were simply horrible, however in the end usable after repeated cleaning, sanding and filling. I found no reasonable cure for the thick trailing edges. The panel lines were re-scribed using the available references. Many parts were scratchbuilt, some other cannibalised from other kits, incomplete Pavla Gladiator was a useful source for some of them – interior, undercarriage legs and guns. The propeller was modified from Sword Sea Gladiator.

The kit represents the Fantome in its final form as seen in Martlesham Heath during 1938. Hand brushed with Revell and Humbrol enamel paints. Decals by Modeldecal.

As usual - no rigging.

Thank you for looking and for your comments.

Patrik

PC090621_zps915b0f01.jpg

PC090628_zps5b9681c3.jpg

PC090618_zpsc652e985.jpg

PC090626_zpsa369b1e9.jpg

• Like 13

I have heard of this particular aeroplane, and you did a splendid job on it, Patrik!

Regards,

Jason

P.S. This lovely aeroplane was designed by Marcel Lobelle, the same chap who designed the Fairey Barracuda.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a bit of a blast from the past, but reading through a book on Fairey aircraft recently, this one cropped up.

What a lovely job you have done Patrick, congratulations 

cheers Pat

A lovely looking model of a beautiful and unusual aircraft.  I wonder if it lost out to the Hawker Fury.  Although not an aircraft I am overly familiar with there's no mistaking its Fairey lineage in the nose contours. 

24 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

A lovely looking model of a beautiful and unusual aircraft.  I wonder if it lost out to the Hawker Fury.  Although not an aircraft I am overly familiar with there's no mistaking its Fairey lineage in the nose contours. 

Nope, it was an attempt to win a Belgian order for a fighter to replace their Fairey Firefly IIs (the biplane single-seater one), but the specification changed after it was built. Two of the four built may have participated in the Spanish Civil War after having been bought by the Russians.

• Like 1

Smashing result there. That radiator bath looks like a work of genius compared with the Fury,although the Fury was probably a bit earlier. I think Aeroplane published some nice air to air photos some years ago, they may be available somewhere. 

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Nope, it was an attempt to win a Belgian order for a fighter to replace their Fairey Firefly IIs (the biplane single-seater one), but the specification changed after it was built. Two of the four built may have participated in the Spanish Civil War after having been bought by the Russians.

Thanks for the info P.C