1956 Austin Healey 100-Six

Hi,

The truism “More perfection - less fun” is true for 1:1 cars as well as for model kits.
I am always delighted when I have a reissued kit from the early days of styrene kits on my work-table. Opposite to the nowadays almost perfect Fujimi/Hasegawa/Tamiya shake-the-box kits they are still a challenge, and they have mostly unique subjects. If the finished model is presentable this is first of all the achievement of the modeler and not of the kit manufacturer’s engineers.

This said it is probably understandable that the following model is one of my favourites among more than 100 finished passenger car models that I still own.

It is a 1991 Matchbox re-release of Revell’s 1956 Austin Healey 100-6 first released in 1959.
My kit had the typical features of those early days: a multi-piece body, opening hood and boot lid, two-piece soft plastic tires, solid plastic “spoke” wheels. As I read recently: “This kit is not for the faint of heart”.
Nevertheless the overall quality of the kit is amazingly good if you consider its age. It really deserves to be reissued again and again . The latest reissue by Revell was in 2010 and it is still available at many hobby shops.
I started my kit immediately when the 1991 Matchbox re-release was available. Besides some minor improvements I fitted self-made wire wheels (as I always do) because I don't like PE parts very much. I chose a typical and in my opinion the most attractive colour combination of the original car. I hope you agree.

comp_AustinHealey00168_zps419b3619.jpg

comp_AustinHealey00268_zpsc7d2eebe.jpg

comp_AustinHealey00368_zps920dbedb.jpg

comp_AustinHealey00468_zps28f5eeb1.jpg

• Like 5

Joyous! This is my favourite car and I have this kit as well as Revell's 1/32 AH3000 which is also excellent and have finished the same as yours. What paint did you use for the Ice Blue? I got mine made up by Hiroboy

That is an amazing build, and one of the most gorgeous cars ever seen on any road, anywhere.

Having built this one myself recently, I know the issues with this kit, including having the body seams pop open when fitting it to the chassis. The wheels needed a lot of chopping about to get them to fit, but I really like the way you have done yours; that transforms the model. If you would let us into the secret of how you did that, you would make a lot of car modellers very happy.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks for your comments!

As mentioned I built my model more than 20 years ago. Therefore my memories are a bit vague. Nevertheless I am rather sure that there were no major issues besides the tyres and the rims. Of course such an old kit requires more effort and some modeling experience.

There is nothing sophisticated about my paintworks.
I don’t like the results of acrylics, neither in modeling nor in real life. When I need small amounts of paint I use Humbrol enamels, because they are much better than Revell paints, and because they are easy to obtain. When I need large amounts of paint (f. e. for trucks) I use solvent-based paints from house improvement stores or automotive paints because they are much cheaper, and I found no difference to expensive modeling paints. For this particular model, however, I used a Revell paint from a OOP series called ”Car Metallics”. For a real nice shine I sprayed some coats of clear gloss from a house improvement store.

Of course I am willing to share my technique of making real wire wheels. Since I wrote two magazine articles and a forum tutorial about it I know that this contribution, however, would require several evenings of hard work.
I am going to show about 20 models with self-made wire wheels in this forum. If there should be a major interest in my technique I will write a detailed tutorial - I promise.

• Like 5

. If there should be a major interest in my technique

I think it goes without saying that there is such interest...!! :)

And I must say that I'm even more impressed with your paintwork now you've said it was done with Revell enamel...!!

• Like 1

Well all I can say as someone who owned both the the genuine article and a Mk2 (and wish I still had them) That is a absolutely fantastic model and I cannot fault it very well done indeed.

As a matter of interest I bought a 100/6 in 1972 for the sum of £375 in vgc. In hindsight I wish I hung on to it. I wince every time I see for sale adds in motoring mags!!!!!!!!

That is a wonderful representation. The Healey was one of the high points of the British motoring industry. It was crude, powerful, brutish and stunning to look at. This or an E-Type? Or an AC Cobra? If only today's cars evoked such passion.