A-26 C Invader Monogram 1/48

This has been an interesting build. First time I have used an airbrush. (I know I cheated by using only one color, but give me a break.) Have had an airbrush for the last 2, almost 3 years that SWMBO got me for Christmas. Just haven't had the gumption to use it. It went remarkably well and was fairly easy. I chose this model to begin on as, (1) it was a single color (2) the color to be finished in was the same color as the plastic (3) an old kit I have had for decades and have 2 others in the stash and (4) my next kit will be the 1/24 Airfix Mosquito and I really don't want to mess it up by experimenting the first time.

As for the kit. It is Monogram's version of the A-26 glass nose version released in 1996. Most of the newer releases have been of the solid nose version. I have the ProModeler version and the most recent release.

The detail of this kit, being from 1996 was quite good. The fit was great with one exception, the undercarriage. (There is a build in progress for more details. If I was smart enough to know how to link it to this I would, but I am not. Go search the old fashioned way.) Of course, I left off the undercarriage to ease in painting and put it on the very last. It was painful. The nose wheel rested too low and the spot for the main undercarriage to attach was wide for the parts and the parts are a bit flimsy. The main undercarriage was put to rest with copious amounts of super glue. The nose wheel finally ended up being extended with some brass tubing to make it sit right. Even now, I think it sits a bit too high.

The only completely daft thing I did; forgot to notice it was a tricycle undercarriage. Did I remember to use any weight, nope. So now have to decide to use clear sprue as a brace, or reopen the engine nacelles to fill them with lead weight. Anyway, here are the pictures, comments and criticisms welcome.

DSCN0493.jpg

DSCN0495.jpg

DSCN0497.jpg

DSCN0498.jpg

DSCN0499.jpg

DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

I liked the glossy black finish so much that I only did a hint of light weathering. And here it is in its place in the kit cabinet. I must apologize for the photos. I shot them outside and it is 20 degrees (F) with ice so did not take a lot of time for composition and detail shots.

DSCN0502.jpg

• Like 5

I like that, looks good on the black base as well,

Sean

Actually, it is a mirror base, just the lighting makes it look like a black base. You can see the mirror reflection of the wheels.

First of all g-usa, bravo for picking up your airbrush. Second, what a stunning job you have done with it. Most impressive. There is no way anyone could get such a good finish in gloss black using a hairy stick.

It looks like you have used more of the Flory washes on the wheels - very nice. I have my own now, I got them in Telford.

Thirdly, you are a complete ding bat not adding nose weight. I thought you were supposed to be an experienced modeller, clearly I am mistaken. Is there any way of making a small hole and pouring some of that liquid gravity* stuff in there?

As to linking pages, its easy: Copy the link you want (I assume you know how to do that), go to where you want the link to appear, - highlight the text where you want the link, click on the link icon in the toolbar and hit control v ( or you can just control v copy in into the post but that looks a bit amateurish).

* They do a lot of other good stuff which is well worth a look at.

Edited by Nigel Heath

Very much looks like the problem with the main gear wheels is that they are not mounted all the way in!

I've built two of these and the gear fits right up inside the nacelles:

23.jpg

I do remember the front gear being a pig to fit properly!

You can't go wrong with how you've finished it though, the B-26 was a superb looking plane in Korean War guise!

Al