Hasegawa F-4G Phantom II (A Group Build No Show)

Peter W

I never thought that I'd ever get an entry into the KUTA group build series but this one is well deserving of an entry. I bought the kit sometime in the 80's and, like all kits we buy, it was going to be the next one built. Result - failed, and it waited until the group build in 2011 before it came out of the loft. I'd added a few extras over the years and planned to add at least some of them. So off I set to finally build it. Result - failed miserably, and here we are today with a mission to get it done and in the display cabinet. So without further ado here's where I started: -

I'm going to build the Hasegawa 1/48th F-4G with a few extras.

IMG_7326.jpg

Next pictures are of some, or all, of the extras that may end up on this build: -

IMG_7327.jpg
IMG_7328.jpg
IMG_7329.jpg

IMG_7330.jpg

And that is as far as it got before a few weeks ago. I first set about getting the intakes fitted, which went without too much fuss: -

IMG_9473_zpsa2fa674d.jpg

IMG_9474_zps18e36d6a.jpg

IMG_9475_zps522d6628.jpg

Then came the cockpit which was the usual Aires combination of great detail and poor fit. All painted up now though and ready for fitting: -

001_zpsc335402f.jpg

002_zpsfa8752eb.jpg

003_zpsd43d796f.jpg

004_zpse3941966.jpg

005_zps1adf1811.jpg

006_zps55cf8a4e.jpg

007_zps1eba9321.jpg

and as usual, all that effort to paint it up only for it all to disappear once the sides are on: -

009_zpsa479193d.jpg

010_zpsaf97cb0b.jpg

I also got the main bits taped together just to make sure that nothings going to trip me up later: -

012_zpsf7db6cbc.jpg

So, a long first post but a mission to finally finish this one begins.

Back with more soon

Pete

That's an awesome collection of extras and I'm sure this will look terrific. What scheme are you planning? I hope you're going for a nice Spangdahlem bird in Euro one.

Thanks Les,

Filler - It's going to be a Spangdahlem F-4 for definite but I'm afraid that boring greys are going to be the order of the day. I need a break from time consuming paint schemes and this one's about as simple as it gets, hopefully.

Cheers

Pete

You have done a fantastic job on that cockpit. I will follow with interest. Always loved the Phantom.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Tomjw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Christmas is now just a memory and it's time to get back on with some plastic. I've got most of the hard work done on this one now and it's almost ready for some paint, just a few seams to tidy up and the glazing to add. I was undecided on using the resin pylons as I didn't want to have to sand the moulded on bulges under the kit wing. I guess that they are supposed to represent the sway braces / plates but they are a bit heavy. So, they had to go which wasn't that bad in the end as there's plenty of plastic behind them and no holes to fill once gone. I've also managed to get the mind numbing clean up of all the undercarriage parts done and these are ready for a coat of paint too. I'm determined that this won't become a three time fail in it's build career so more soon and just a few pictures to show where I'm at: -

014_zps1938239e.jpg

015_zps115569d2.jpg

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys,

Time for an overdue update,especially if I'm ever going to get this finished. I cut open the pack of True Details pylons for this one and, on first impressions, they looked like they would save some work. However, after a closer inspection, they are the British Leyland equivalent of resin casting, bits you don't need and missing bits you do. I've got 4 outer pylons, of which I need none, and no inner pylons which were the sole reason for wanting to use this set. This is an older True Details set in cream resin and I've no idea if the grey resin sets are better, but these are awful. Long story short, I ended up rescribing the kit pylons and using some of the resin details to add details. I also scrounged a AGM-88 HARM missile from a Hobbyboss F/A-18 kit in the loft and an ALQ-131 Pod and mounting rails from various Hasegawa weapons sets.

016_zps0a8f9b47.jpg

017_zps37ecb693.jpg

Next up was a nice soapy wash - the kit, not me and a masking session for the canopy. After that I went to find my primer of choice and discovered I haven't got any any which I'm still not convinced about because I don't remember emptying the last bottle. My back up plan was to use Alclad Grey primer instead and I'm happy with the outcome. Here's how it all looks now ready for some top coats:-

018_zps634f7343.jpg

019_zpsb2f8045c.jpg

021_zpsc21064bf.jpg

022_zps8c144fe0.jpg

023_zps3f69acbe.jpg

024_zps3030890b.jpg

Lastly a piccie of those gorgeous Royale Resin wheels resplendent in Gunze Resin primer. I've used this for the first time due to never being able to get paint to stick to the resin strongly enough to mask over. Hopefully this will be better but time will tell.

020_zps94b8e1d6.jpg

I'm getting there and with a fair wind may cross the line in time but, either way, more soon.

Pete

Good progress Pete,

It's annoying when you shell out fit resin bits and they're useless! I've added TD wheels to my F-15, they are very nice, but are the newer grey resin.

Alclads a great back up primer, I've found it goes over resin as well, never had a problem with paint lifting over that.

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil