Phantom conversion, USA to UK- Nearly there!

HL-10

This is a project I have been wanting to do for some time now.

I have all the stuff I need, a base kit, a set of plans, and an article from some one who has already done the deed.

All I lacked was the guts to start cutting up £100 worth of model!

For some reason this week I woke up and said, "OK! Lets do it!"

So armed with Frank Mitchell's article over on LSP (http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=211) and the new found urge to cut up this:

100_2663.jpg

windows 7 screenshot

and a set of scaled up plans:

100_2661.jpg

image hosting

I set to work.

I started with the air intakes. I marked and cut them to insert a widening strip, using Dymo tape as a cutting guide:

100_2652.jpg

screen cap

100_2654.jpg

free photo upload

100_2653.jpg

image hosting

100_2657.jpg

how do i print screen

100_2664.jpg

image upload no limit

With the intakes widened, I started to make the cuts on the fuselage to widen that:

100_2659.jpg

image upload

100_2660.jpg

photo hosting

So far, so good!

Thanks for looking, and wish me luck!

• Like 4

My dream project!! If only someone would release a decent kit, I'd sell all my 1/48th kits and join Iain and his 1/32nd SIG immediately!!

Watching this with a sense of awe... :popcorn:

• Like 2

Likewise, an interesting conversion...

Good luck, though I somehow think you'll do OK :)

• Like 1

Well thank you all very much for the words of encouragement!

I'm off sick with a back injury at the moment so I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment.

I've got the air intakes attached and I am about to break out the Milliput to try an produce some seamless air intakes:

100_2665.jpg

green shot

100_2666.jpg

upload pictures online

100_2668.jpg

how to do a screen shot

If that fails, then its FOD guards!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Great project,great start gonna watch this one with interest,have you decided on markings yet?

Not 100% sure yet, may do her as a Royal Navy bird, but the early seventies Phantoms based in Germany are appealing too!

I think I'll try and get her finished first!

Wow! Brave man! I've got one of these that I was going to do as a UK bird! However, I was going to cheat and use it as a base for an F-4J(UK)! Alas I don't have your modeling skills so a 74 Sqn bird is on the cards if I ever get round to it!

Will be watching with interest!

Edited by feifeitim
  • Like 1

Brother, you got some gonads of the size of beach balls taking on this project. I wish you luck and hope you complete it. Perhaps, it'll give me courage to see another person done what Frank did and that I too can do it...someday! So, I'll follow along with the flock...

Mike

• Like 2

You could do a lot worse than XT868 which was the display Phantom in 1971 usually flown by Neville Featherstone. At the 1971 Lee on Solent airshow this was supposed to do a pass at M0.95 but it was a tad faster and came through supersonic. It lifted the roof of a farm at the end of the runway and plonked it down again. It was also the last RN Phantom to fly and sadly crashed on its last flight killing the Nav. There are god pictures of it.

• Like 1

(and as soon as you finish it someone will release a kit of it...)

Trevor

Yes, you know that's going to happen!

So I've decided to start the project to provoke such an out come!

I'd be really happy if it did happen :thumbsup:

From time to time you hear of conversion sets being considered for the AM but nought much seems to come of it. I am sure that they would do well though

I have 2 "J's" in the stash for this and copies of said articles but so far not found the bottle to mangle the plastic wishing all the time that my procrastination will be rewarded by someone - ANYONE PLEASE - manufacturing a set

Watching with interest though and learning

• Like 1

I've been busy filling and sanding, and there's been a lot of sanding!

Here I'm closing up the gaps created by widening the intakes:

100_2669.jpg

photo sharing sites

I'm trying to get the intake trunks as seamless as possible.

To sand the insides I am having to wrap wet n dry around my little finger to get into the intake:

100_2671.jpg

free pic

100_2672.jpg

20mb image hosting

100_2670.jpg

image hosting 15mb

I'm using Milliput to seal the gaps and then using Humbrol filler to skim over and give as smooth a finish as possible.

Once I have finished here, I will be moving on to the rear end modifications, and looking at what needs to be done here, I think so far things have been easy!

Thanks for looking and the on going support and encouragement.

• Like 2