New Humbrol Luftwaffe enamels: any good?

Seahawk

whoops

sorry . it was fightersweep.

still, 49 replies and 1400 views and nobody from the producers seems to want to reply.

to be fair to Hornby, the new paint seem to be no worse than any other new paint .

I only use enamel so I cant say anything about other paints.

cheers

greycap

Well, this is one coat of new Humbrol 23 over white plastic card, as good as anything I've tried:

Hu232013_zps5ceee5a0.jpg

Hu2320132_zpsc36353e3.jpg

Certainly much better than the brushouts of the Luftwaffe colours posted by Fightersweep. There does seem to be something odd happening with the Luftwaffe enamels.

John

Would be interested to see some photos of the results you chaps have with brushpainting. Never had any luck myself.

regards,

Jason

Here's a few of mine.All my models are painted by brush. Like any technique, all you need is practice. I think an airbrush takes away the fun of painting and, quite frankly, I think they're more trouble than they're worth. None of the models was masked for the camouflage patterns. I used the old fashioned method of drawing the pattern freehand on to the model with a soft pencil & then filling in with flat brushes. Try it!! Good fun! :D. Yes, the Tupolev TU-22 is a "what if". I'm currently working on the Airfix FW-190 A-8 and,P40 Kittyhawk. Been using the Humbrol Acrylic Luftwaffe colours on the Focke Wulf. Certainly no trouble with them. I'll post pics when they're done. The Hurricanes & Spitfire were also painted using Humbrol Acrylics. The Hurricane was brush painted Matt white 34 over a sprayed matt white undercoat.

Allan

003-22.jpg002-22.jpg001-17.jpg017.jpg005.jpg003.jpg007.jpg

Edited by Albeback52

As far as I know Hu23 is not one of the new RML colours. They run from Hu240 to Hu249 inclusive. I was under the impression that it was these paints which were suspect. I've brush painted with Humbrol enamels almost exclusively for many years and these are the first paints which act in this way that I have come across apart from Hu1 primer.

Well, this is one coat of new Humbrol 23 over white plastic card, as good as anything I've tried:

Hu232013_zps5ceee5a0.jpg

Hu2320132_zpsc36353e3.jpg

Certainly much better than the brushouts of the Luftwaffe colours posted by Fightersweep. There does seem to be something odd happening with the Luftwaffe enamels.

John

Is that colour chart from Aircraft of the Fighting Powers?

Good match though.

Trevor

Hi Allan;

Nice examples of what can be done with a brush there...and that Victor is a big canvas to brush! Thanks for posting the photos!

John;

That's good coverage from that tin of 23! I have a few tins of the new UK made paints, and I have found them to be very mixed. Some are just great straight from the tin, others, like the coal black that I picked up, are very thick and oily and brush terribly! I agree there is something amiss with the Luftwaffe colours. I will be straight here as soon as I get a reply from Humbrol.

Regards;
Steve

• Like 1

Hi Allan;

Nice examples of what can be done with a brush there...and that Victor is a big canvas to brush! Thanks for posting the photos!

John;

That's good coverage from that tin of 23! I have a few tins of the new UK made paints, and I have found them to be very mixed. Some are just great straight from the tin, others, like the coal black that I picked up, are very thick and oily and brush terribly! I agree there is something amiss with the Luftwaffe colours. I will be straight here as soon as I get a reply from Humbrol.

Regards;

Steve

Thanks for the kind comment Steve. If you think the Victor is a big canvas, try hand painting a 1/72 B-52!!! :lol: . No airbrush will EVER provide that sense of achievement!! :D .

Allan

Right ho!

I got a very helpful reply from Humbrol. Aside from passing my email onto QC, they have asked me to supply the batch number from one tin. Then they will send me one replacement. If the replacement is ok, they will replace my entire batch. If these replacments do not solve the problem, then I guess things will be taken further. However, if it has been already passed to QC, then I imagine that they will be looking into it anyway once I supply the batch number.

I'll keep you all posted.

Regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

Right ho!

I got a very helpful reply from Humbrol. Aside from passing my email onto QC, they have asked me to supply the batch number from one tin. Then they will send me one replacement. If the replacement is ok, they will replace my entire batch. If these replacments do not solve the problem, then I guess things will be taken further. However, if it has been already passed to QC, then I imagine that they will be looking into it anyway once I supply the batch number.

I'll keep you all posted.

Regards;

Steve

Good: glad to see Hornby being as good as their word.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All;

Just bumping this thread up. I'm still waiting for a replacement test pot from Humbrol (hope they haven't forgotten!), so nothing to report on here yet.

Wondering if anyone else has had a chance to try the Luftwaffe enamels and what observations there might be?

Regards;
Steve

I sent a e-mail to hornby regarding problems with other paint colours in their new uk range.

This is the reply I received yesterday,

"I do apologise for the delay in replying to you, but we do appreciate all customer feedback, both positive and negative, as we constantly strive to improve our products. I have therefore passed your comments onto both our Marketing and Quality Control departments, but this is a matter that we are already looking into across our paint range"

It would appear that the entire range is being looked at, so very positive

Derek

I sent a e-mail to hornby regarding problems with other paint colours in their new uk range.

This is the reply I received yesterday,

"I do apologise for the delay in replying to you, but we do appreciate all customer feedback, both positive and negative, as we constantly strive to improve our products. I have therefore passed your comments onto both our Marketing and Quality Control departments, but this is a matter that we are already looking into across our paint range"

It would appear that the entire range is being looked at, so very positive

Derek

Encouraging news.

I bought a tin of 240 RLM 02 the other day and its the worst Humbrol paint I've ever had.
Although the paint looks like it has plenty of pigment it goes on with the appearance of thinly tinted varnish.
Even after several coats there is no depth of colour, the original plastic or primer/undercoat colour still shows through strongly.
I'm also finding that it has no flow properties, its impossible to brush it out evenly.
It takes long to dry and it dries semi-gloss, not matt.

I do think I do know how to stir and apply paint by now. I've sent an email complaint to Humbrol. I was looking forward to using these new colours but now I don't think I'll be buying them if this is an example of the new standard.

I bought a tin of 240 RLM 02 the other day and its the worst Humbrol paint I've ever had.

Although the paint looks like it has plenty of pigment it goes on with the appearance of thinly tinted varnish.

Even after several coats there is no depth of colour, the original plastic or primer/undercoat colour still shows through strongly.

I'm also finding that it has no flow properties, its impossible to brush it out evenly.

It takes long to dry and it dries semi-gloss, not matt.

I do think I do know how to stir and apply paint by now. I've sent an email complaint to Humbrol. I was looking forward to using these new colours but now I don't think I'll be buying them if this is an example of the new standard.

Humbrol is examining the situation, as reported above, but another complaint will, it is to be hoped, serve to reinforce the nature of the problem.

Because I've been following this thread I let Humbrol know all the numbers on the tin so they can see if its a batch they know about or a different one. I was surprised that the tin was as bad as it was as that shop only got that stock fresh in just about 12 days ago.[1 week before I bought it]

A friend of mine and I have airbrushed them on white plastic cards

We then compared them with the colour chips from Ken Merrick & Jurgen Kiroff's books

We grade them like this:

1. Match

2: close/acceptable

3: only in emergency

4: Useless - forget it

The short version (IOHO) for the Humbrol is:

RLM 70 : 4 ( very strange since Humbrol 91 is a very close match for RLM 70)

RLM 71 : 1

RLM 72 : 1

RLM 73 : 3

RLM 74 : 1

RLM 75 : 2

RLM 76 : 1

RLM 78 : 2

RLM 79 : 1

RLM 81 : 2

RLM 82 : 1 ( very strange since Humbrol 86 is a very close match for RLM 82)

RLM 83 : 2

We have an PDF file with them graded together with AGAMA, Gunze, Modelmaster, White Ensign Models and Xtracolor

Anyone who wants a copy can send a PM with their email

Bo

farvekortparingmalet_zpsfddcd3e4.jpg

Edited by Bo hermansen
  • Like 2

Well, just a quick update. I'm still waiting for replacement paints as promised by Humbrol. Maybe they are trying to sort things out first. I'll be back as soon as I hear something. (Don't think I've been forgotten!)

Interesting to see the similar comments on Hyperscale though.

Regards;
Steve

Bo,

I have sent you a PM re your chart (I also have done one on my website and there is a iphone app with colour matches and hobby paints too (iModelKit)).

Also if you look at the TOP of the pinned threads in the main PAINT forum you will see my old charts there since 2011.

Edited by pbhawkin

• 3 weeks later...

hi . all

I notice that not one paint manufacturer of paint has stepped up to defend their position , or at least explain why modellers have to put up with a low standard product.

It just shows how good todays modellers are to overcome the problems.

regards

greycap