1:48 Airfix Lynx G-LYNX world speed record

Still looking good Rene. If you are still adjusting the scoop to the older version, may I suggest removing the little bulge below it too? It houses the station keeping light on the AH7 and isnt present on G-LYNX. The little panel that it sits on is still present though (compressor washing nozzle inlet door).

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the poor progress - somehow life got in the way. Besides there was not much to show: I am fighting through the main rotor covers which were fixed to G-LYNX. Milliput is not the best choice for these I suppose. But instead of donig them again in Tamiya 2K putty I try to make the best of what I achieved so far.

Then I sprayed the camouflage scheme... twice. Now I call it done. It is covered with several cotes of Airfix Clear and my next step will be decaling. I am getting in real time pressure by now, as I will be on a business tripp the next two weeks, so not much time to finish this (I need to finalize the rotor head covers, paint main and tail rotor, do the entire decaling and detail painting, clear cote, matt cote for rotors, final assembly - puh...).

So what it looks so far:

camoudone_zpsfa84b9bc.jpg

Rene

Thanks Colin.

Surprise surprise - some more progress:

decals_zpsc2f0d055.jpg

The major decals are applied and the folowing must be taken into account for those who plann to do the same conversion:

1. The decals supplied are of excellent quality: They are tough but thin, settle down nicely and are absolutely opaque.

2. The orange colour for "Westland" and the smaller size Rolls Royce logos with black letters on silver background are correct for the original record setting livery but not for the museum G-LYNX.

3. The G-LYNX letters are not correct. They are bigger and not quite the right shape. Further more the spacing is too tight. If I wasn't under time pressure I would have done new ones or cut masks. But this way I simply cut the decals and adjusted the spacing as good as possible.

4. Strangely the yellow RESCUE arrows for the side doors are missing. They are not included on the Airfix sheet as well. I hope to find some in my decal stash tonight.

5. I used setting solution on the decals but I suppose they will work almost as good without - except for the "Lynx" on the nose maybe. But even this decal went down perfectly with Mr. Setting Solution.

One thing which puzzles me is the position of the stabilizers. I have a feeling that the given position (in the Belcher instructions) are a bit too far backwards (2-3 mm). As I cannot correct this anymore I will not dig deeper. Those who plann this conversion should better check this detail.

Rene

• Like 1

Just a pic of the main rotor:

mainrotor_zps23848454.jpg

The cream coloured stuff is Milliput, then there is some thick foil for detail and the grey part is primed with Mr. Surfacer. As mentioned above the Milliput is not the best choice as it is a bit too soft and brittle for the job. I would not use it again for this part although I am basically very fond of this material.

I really need to use my camera instead of my phone - sorry for the lousy pic but it must be sufficient for now.

Rene

Edit: Photobucket does it again. The pic is horizontal but for some bizzare reason it shows vertical here...

• 3 weeks later...

OK - returned from a two weeks busines trip and have just a few days left to finish this one. Meanwhile all minor decals have been added too and the fuselage was clear coted this morning. I could not sleep and turned the compressor on at 5:00 am :-)

The dark green colour for the rotors were sprayed this morning too (edit: This is for the leading edge and some stripes. The dark green will be masked and then the grey colour will be sprayed). So tonight everything will hoprfully be dry, so I can spray the grey areas of the rotors and detail paint the fuselage (door handles and stuff).

Edit: I took some pics of the fuselage so far:

decals2_zps8eb732f8.jpg

Rene

Thanks Colin. Actually I kocked it a bit together the night from Saturday to Sunday as I had to help my Ma with my grandparents house yesterday. So I just took the pic above as proof, which was very wise - I came back home rather late so I could not take good pics but added some final touch ups. As tomorrow is my wifes Birthday (I will have to prepare some stuff tonight and wrap the presents) I will send pics of the finished G-LYNX on Wedesday. I hope this is OK.

Edit: Here is the rotor masked for the grey paint (it is the sole pic I did before final assembly):

IMG_4881_zpse760c783.jpg

Cheers,

Rene

Still no pic :-(

Desaster struck on Monday when the charwoman mistakenly thought my "masterpiece" of a Lynx was a toy from my three year old son and threw it in his toy box together with his matchbox cars and other stuff:

IMG_4911_zps88c4c1b2.jpg

Some parts are off and some scratches but nothing really broke. Still it took me almost 20 minutes just to find the doors out in the toy pile. Will fix it tonight I hope.

Rene