Xtracrylix For Brush Painting? Any Good?

Andy Mac

I'm now getting back into the hobby after a 30+ year absence, and I need to replace my old dried up Humbrol Enamel tinlets, and wanted to go the Acrylic route.

Are the Xtracrylix range ok for hand brushing?

As others have said, you need to slilghtly thin it and depending on ambient temperature only brush once one way as it can peel off the model. Also make sure you undercoate as with all acrylics as it doenst generally stick to a shiny surface (plastic of the model).

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I've got a few things to ponder over... ;)

I've just received some W&N Galeria Flow Improver via ebay, so that's the flow improver sorted. I'll have to experiment to get the best coverage.

What's IPA?

I've just tried googling it and the main thing I've found is Green King IPA, I'm sure after a couple of pints of that all my models will look better. :drink:

• Haha 1

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I've got a few things to ponder over... ;)

I've just received some W&N Galeria Flow Improver via ebay, so that's the flow improver sorted. I'll have to experiment to get the best coverage.

What's IPA?

I've just tried googling it and the main thing I've found is Green King IPA, I'm sure after a couple of pints of that all my models will look better. :drink:

Isopropyl Alcohol - I wouldn't recommend drinking it though.

As for your search showing mainly Green King IPA I'd suggest you need to widen your search criteria to include better beers!

Wez

• Like 1

Cheers Wez, I've never tried Green King IPA so I'll take your word for that, lol.

Sooooo..... Where do you obtain your IPA? Is there a modelling based product containing it, or is it a generally available product ? (eg. from B&Q)

You used to be able to get it at the chemist but haven't tried that for years.

I get mine in a can from work. We use it in our job.

Don't find much use for it in modelling since finding flow improvers. Used to use it for cleaning the A/B

but there's better stuff out there.

I also found it tended to dry acrylic quicker, not slower! Maybe it was just me.............

What do people use it for in modelling, have I missed sumat?

Rick.

I got my ipa from ebay. I use it for thinning acrylics for spraying and hand painting. It does indeed tend to dry very quick, so some use a drop of flow improver too. I dont, i just thin more to prevent it. I also use ipa for wiping down the plastic/resin prior to painting and cleaning out the airbrush after using acrylics. Its cheap and versatile. There was one acrylic that was a disaster with ipa, tho my rubbish memory cant recall what it was.

• Like 1

I brush paint acrylics all the time. Since my ab packed up.

I always brush over a rattle can applied matt surface from a humbrol spray can as this sticks to the plastic very robustly and the acrylic paint adheres to it then. If you dont do that acrylics are not very wear resistant like the old enamels..

I always add some windsor an newton flow improver this will thin your paint but keep the colour density so you can do one or two, sometimes 3 coats and job done,This also will stop any brush marks as it self levels and makes them brush like if not better than enamels.

The best I have found to brush with are Humbrol, Revell Aqua (particularly fantastic the revell) , Citadel and xtracrylics though the xtracrylics do need many coats as they are very thin but they level off great and are very robust paints darn nice shades too.

Since doing this I have not been looking for an airbrush in a hurry though still miss it for some things.

Cheers Rob ;)

I got my ipa from ebay. I use it for thinning acrylics for spraying and hand painting. It does indeed tend to dry very quick, so some use a drop of flow improver too. I dont, i just thin more to prevent it. I also use ipa for wiping down the plastic/resin prior to painting and cleaning out the airbrush after using acrylics. Its cheap and versatile. There was one acrylic that was a disaster with ipa, tho my rubbish memory cant recall what it was.

Cleaning the model before painting!

I remember now where I use it.

Thanks for the prompt chap!

Rick.

I was wondering how to clean a model before spraying or brushing... So IPA is good for that then is it, are there any other good "cleaners" that can be used for this purpose or is IPA the best?

IPA can weaken plastics. so be careful. It can dry out the natural oils in the plastic and cause them over time to break down at a molecular level like mineral oils do making them brittle.

Sometimes it can turn plastics white.

Mostly you will be ok but you cant go wrong with washing up liquid and water.

Cheers Rob

IPA can weaken plastics. so be careful. It can dry out the natural oils in the plastic and cause them over time to break down at a molecular level like mineral oils do making them brittle.

Sometimes it can turn plastics white.

Mostly you will be ok but you cant go wrong with washing up liquid and water.

I think I may try with the fairy liquid and warm water method and see how I get on, I don't want to start destroying the model before I start. lol :yikes:

I think I may try with the fairy liquid and warm water method and see how I get on, I don't want to start destroying the model before I start. lol :yikes:

I shouldn't worry too much as alot do this but it just seems a tad overkill to me. If you use a good primer or matt spray like humbrol which becomes part of the plastic you won't have any trouble.

The reason acrylic does not grip plastic very well is due to the fact it does not cut into the surface like lacure based, cellulose, enamel paints,

(and enamels don't do it like they used to..)

Acrylics need a matt surface to "grip" too. and that surface should be held to the plastic.

You may not encounter a problem with IPA but I have known harder plastics fatigue with IPA like gears on model trains.

Thing is thinking about it washing up liquid is a degreaser. but its kind to hands.. and IPA will strip paints so... I dunno.

I have actually never needed to wash a kit off before but I tend to wet and dry the surface before painting with 1200 grit paper. so I guess I wash it after construction.

(I am no expert btw Just sharing my findings so that it might help)

Cheers Rob ;)