Jens' Danish Lynx Mk. 90B S-249

Jens

I have decided to join this GB with one of my 1/48th scale Airfix Lynx kits. I will finish it as Danish Lynx Mk. 90B S-249 as it was shortly before crashing off the coast/harbour in Greenland in 2011. Luckily - and perhaps due to the RN exchange pilot's skills - the crew escaped the crash without serious injuries.

Apart from the Airfix kit I will use decals from the Belcher Bits resin Lynx and some details from the Eduard sets.

This is S-249 as it looked in 2004:

s-249_2759_1000jj.jpg

I have just opened the Airfix kit and started cleaning some of the larger parts.

Jens

• Like 1

Right, after checking my reference pictures it is now clear to me that I need to use some parts from one of my AH 7s to make a correct Danish interior; floor, roof and most likely also the rear bulkhead.

Jens

Having talked to the crew and looked at pictures from the recovery of the wreck I now know how S-249 was configured. I wasn't fitted with the ESM equipment, nor the FLIR at the time so that will make it easier for me. The interior was fitted with a two-person seat aft (I have to modify the three-person seat from the kit) and the Westland crew seat (as opposed to another older type we also have). Should be easy to replicate.
Hopefully I can start posting my progress on Sunday.

Jens

So far I have only been working on the interior. I had to measure some details earlier this week, and this is the result so far:

Lynx48_5224.jpg

Lynx48_5228.jpg

Lynx48_5229.jpg

The main interior parts are from the AH 7 kit. Still I had to make some modifications to the floor and the ceiling.

Jens

Thanks guys.

Yesterday I managed to photograph and measure the ESM rack in the cabin. I will fine tune the drawings on Friday and then start scratchbuilding it. Also, I will detail the area around the passenger seats.

S-170_4495.jpg

Jens

Today I started out by making drawings from the measurements I took the other day. After that I went straight on to scratch building the rack in the rear of the cabin along with its zigzag cover and the HIFR point. Also, I have made a new seat frame as the one in the kit is a bit basic. Next up is the black boxes for the rack and the seat posts.

Lynx48_5273.jpg

Jens

• Like 2