Glue for canopys - what is best to use?

NorwegianWood

Hi all.

This is a question that I never really have given much consideration. In the past plastic modelling glue was the Britfix tube and you applied whatever was necessery to hold the pieces together. Now it seems to be a much wider variety of glue and cements. Could anybody please give me some good advices on glues to use on transparent plastic ?

I guess PVA is the ordinary white glue, for woodwork and that sorts. I know CA tends to fog on clear plastic but maybe the coat of Klear prevents this. If PVA is the thing then I guess the answer is right in front of my eyes. In the RC part of the mancave I have a bottle of Pacer canopy glue. I just didn`t think it also could be used on small plastic models.

GS Hypo cement is good, won't fog like CA and dries completely clear - it is stringy though.

I'm with him, but would say that it "can be stringy", but if you're careful and apply it as a single run, wiping the tip on the end of that run, the stringing is negligible - technique Nigel, technique! :lol:

I sometimes also post-fill my external canopy seams with a CA and black pigment mix using the edge of a knife blade, which helps cut down on internal reflections and can improve perceived transparency a little. It also helps improve the strength of the bond, and with immediate careful sanding, hides the seam too. I've never had any clouding using this technique. :)

• Like 2

I know CA tends to fog on clear plastic but maybe the coat of Klear prevents this

That is the theory but it can still fog:

P1020227_zpse3e1f450.jpg

OK, its not a canopy but you get the idea.

Luckily I still had access to clean it off.

I would say that PVA and GS Hypo are not as strong as CA - I do still use it for canopies sometimes (like open ones where the fumes can dissipate) - and its not at all stringy so my ham fisted technique works fine.

Edited by Nigel Heath

another vote for Gator's grip - make sure you get the acrylic stuff though. Alternative is formula 500 canopy glue.

CA will fog canopies unless you do it right - for attaching etched parts to canopies for example, you could try using liquid CA and running it along the gap between canopy and etch part (help in place with tape or whatever) - if you keep air moving over the part, for example from a fan, it shouldn't fog the clear part....practice on some spare parts first! Also, Klear won't always prevent fogging (or so I've found) so be careful

Edited by richdlc

Isn't there supposed to be a low / zero fogging CA available?

Course there is Nigel:

http://www.shop4glue.com/brushable-non-fog-superglue-cyanoacrylate-super-glue-adhesive-cyano-precision-brush-on-bottle-20g-152-p.asp

I will conduct further research.

They also do this:

http://www.shop4glue.com/thick-foam-safe-odourless-cyano-superglue-adhesive-non-fogging-non-blooming-polystyrene-depron-007c-97-p.asp

Anyone tried these?

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 1

A more a easily available alterative for Gator's, is Revell's canopy glue, which is also acrylic- Contacts Clear.

Anyone tried Humbrol Clearfix- is it also an acrylic?

• Like 1

but it is supposed to be almost as strong as CA.

Its not.

I would still recomend you get some - its good stuff.

I hope we haven't confused you with all our slightly contradictory information.

the stringing is negligible - technique Nigel, technique!

I think mine may have dried out quite a bit making it even more stringy.

Edited by Nigel Heath

There's also Gator's Grip, easy to apply with a brush and it works well with etch brass too.

Easily the best option. It applies well, gives a strong bond and has gap-filling properties (which is a big help with lots of canopies/windscreens!). Clean-up is a breeze too. :thumbsup2: !

The ones at the top of my list (and also the ones I stock) are:

Pacer formula 560 (AKA Canopy Glue) good grip and gap filling.

Gator grip glue not as much instant grip, but dries clear

G-S Hypo cement, some people swear by it, some at it because of the stringing.

Humbrol Clear fix a good standby.

Paul