Revell Lynx Mk88 to an RN HAS Mk3 in refurb...

heloman1

Ok, Whilst waiting for some parts on the radar bay to set up. I decided to make a Mk1 Pussers gash bin, as seen in the pic at the top of this build thread. I worked out that it should be 16/18mm high, scaling it against a 32nd figure and about 12mm diameter with a slight taper towards the bottom.

As usual with any piece of ground equipment it gets a fair bit of abuse from Jack.

So here are the constitunat parts of the gash bin. Firstly I wrapped a lenght of PC around a piece of tube and bound it with an elastic band. I then plunged it into boiling water and then threw it intot he freezer for 15minutes. This gave me a scroll of plastic which suitably trimmed would give me the body of the bin. Trimmed up and with a sliver of PC added inside to re-inforce the joint. I then cut the base disc and cut a notch to allow for the the reinforcing strip.. A disc of 13mm was cut and a small wedge cut from that and the disc rolled around itself to form a chinamans hat for the lid. Then two strips if thinner PC where cut and pulled over the back of a pair of scissors to form the base and the lip of the lid.

IMG_2796crop_comp_zps9c9b5d32.jpg

IMG_2803comp_zps6f1fa615.jpg

OK, so the bin is finished and just needs a coat of ground equipment yellow and a bit of distressing...

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Prevarication is setting in. After my boost with the arival of the Archers rivets, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll get this model finished before the deadline in three weeks time. Having shot a coat of primer on it on Thursday and spent some time yesterday sanding it down to remover the dusty finish, I can now set about trying ot finish the riveting.

However, next week sees me traveling into George every day whilst my good lady has her forth chemotherapy session.

Colin

Lynx-GB-banner_zps53c18225.jpg

• Like 1

OK, latest updates. I spent most of yesterday applying rivets, that is until I ran out! No fear though courtesy of Tony aka Lynx7 I have two more sheets of the Archers product on the way. Many thanks Tony, you're a star. The rivets are quite easy to apply over a coat of Tamiya primer, the backing paper take but 30 seconds if less to soak and then it's a quick slide into place.

I also made another gashbin as the first one I made was under scale, oooooops!

IMG_2818comp_zpscdda4266.jpg

IMG_2820comp_zps9a9361e5.jpg

The matelot figure is one from the Chota Sahib range, nice figures uindeed I used him to give me an idea of the height. Next a coat of Alclad black primer, then gloss ali then a coat of gloss GE yellow.

So until he next update, enjoy.

Colin

Looks great Colin

Thanks Mish, I'm only adding enough rivets for it to look convincing. Still got the nose, tail pylon and sponsons to do.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

OK, gang, Time for an update. I've all but finished the riveting, just a few lines on the tail pylon. Here is where I'm at as of this morning.

A general view, with the base part finished and the gash bin

IMG_2895crop_comp_zps87ee13e4.jpg

Close up of the starboard aft fuselage, lots and lots of rivets...

IMG_2897comp_zps09fab57b.jpg

Close-up of the nose, the two engine access doors and the tail pylon.

IMG_2899crop_comp_zps63b38f75.jpg

After the tail pylon is finished, I'm going to see if I can get some paint on it today. No rain forcast, so no 90% humidity as we had yesterday.

Colin

Wow!

Did that take you long colin... :coolio:

Yes Steve, too blerry long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mish, I think I missed more than one or two but hey who's counting?

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve and Mark, youll never know!

Right here is where I'm at today. Got a coat of Medium Sea Grey on yesterday, WEM thinned with lots of lacquer thinners as reccommended by John at WEM. The detail painting, transmission platform tail cone and pylon was all brush painted with artists acrylics. The engine bay is Modelmaster silver and Titanium with a coat of Tamiya clear orange.

Decals are courtesty of Tony Lynx7, thanks again mate and some from the Revel Mk88 kit sheet.

Wheels and tyres painted up just the creep marks to add. Oleos etc, to finish and the ply floor protecter boards to paint up, again I'll use atrists acrylics. So from almost being a non finisher, I still have two days in which to complete my entry.

IMG_2909crop_comp_zpsfc4b51d5.jpg

Until later, then.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Rene, thanks for the support, I've been beavering away all day, almost to the exclusion of everything else. I did however have time to get into the village and get to the wine cellers to replenish my stock for the weekend.

So here's my latest update, things have come together over the past couple of days. What seemed almost impossible at the begining of the week has turned out fine. PANIC OVER! Just a few little tweaks to add then...

IMG_2910crop_comp_zpsf74b11ef.jpg

We'll see you all tomorrow in the gallery...

Colin

Here you are then, finally completed and posted in the gallery.

I thought this was going to be a quick build without all the rotary bits up top but then I hadn't calculated the scratch building of all the bits on the transmission platform. Adding the tail fold mechanism , the fuel tanks the rear cabin wal without the quilting and then scratch building the nose radar dish bay. Then scratching the Pussers Mk1 Gash bin! Oh, and the chocks.

Huge thanks to Tony, Lynx7 for supplying the RN tail and decals, which without these the convesrion would have flopped in the water.

IMG_2941crop_zps4271d314.jpg

Check out the gallery for more pics.

Colin

• Like 1