Request for Information Colin Grey Spitfire MA408 Camouflage pattern

Calum

All

Looking for some clues for the camoflage pattern for the upper surfaces of Colin Grey's IXc, particularly the right side .

I have the Ventura publications (the Anzacs) book which contain 2 photos of the aircraft but both these only offer clues to the left side. The upper wing on the left looks to have an unusual (to me) pattern with a thin brown section outboard from the wing root.

One of the images is here

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/RAF-Detling-Wing/pages/Spitfire-MkXIVc-RAF-Detling-Wing-CG-Colin-Grey-RM787-Lympne-1944-01.html

The other is here (both Copyright B Grey)

CameraZOOM-20131125195525141.jpg

Any advice greatly appreciated

If you look at page 27, of the Ventura book, the scheme, on Gray's "FL-A," is virtually identical, so I'd go along with Graham's diagnosis, with Middle Stone where green would normally be, and Dark Earth elsewhere.

Edgar

• 3 years later...

As an F Mk.IX, I would expect it to have the distinctive carburettor intake of this variant, but possibly with the refined Aboukir fitting, rather than the later Aerovee which was standard fit on the LF Mk.IX.  I don't know of any kit that provides either, but that may just be a lack of knowledge of the latest models and all scales.  Beware of kits offering just the same intake as on the Mk.V.

42 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

As an F Mk.IX, I would expect it to have the distinctive carburettor intake of this variant, but possibly with the refined Aboukir fitting, rather than the later Aerovee which was standard fit on the LF Mk.IX.  I don't know of any kit that provides either, but that may just be a lack of knowledge of the latest models and all scales.  Beware of kits offering just the same intake as on the Mk.V.

Thanks, Graham. 

Looks like Eduard are releasing an F Mk. IX and with the earlier wide canon bulges on the wings. 

https://www.eduard.com/store/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-72/spitfire-f-mk-ix-1-72-1.html?cur=2

I think the wide bulges might rule out the aircraft here, but open the door to represent EN520. 

Hello Magua87,

I'm looking at this same scheme for my Eduard 1/72. Looking at the few pictures of other MA- serialled Mk IX, I would go with short carburettor intake, thin gun blisters, late elevator horns and solid cover on wheel rims. This should be possible with F MkIX boxing or by mixing it with the late Mk IX boxing. What do you think about it?