GB Chat

Guys

I'm sure i've seen some decals available for French Lynx, but i can't find them anywhere i've looked now. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

If not, i'm probably going to do a Dutch one as i've found some decals for that, but it looks like a HAS.2/3 front end on it, can anyone confirm this please?

Antony

I'm thinking about joining this GB and I'm kicking around a couple of ideas, one of which is a FAA Lynx HMA Mk.8 operating on anti-piracy patrols off the East Coast of Africa.

Has anyone got any picture of the chaff/flare dispensers fitted to a Royal Navy Lynx HMA Mk.8 - I think they're fitted to the rear of the main gear sponsoons and would the aircraft be equipped with a 12.75mm Browning Machine Gun and a rescue hoist fitted with a fast rope? I've found some pictures showing the aircraft fitted with the Browning or a Fast Rope but not both.

Thanks

You'd think I'd learnt my lesson from the FAA GB but...

I bought a Revell 1/32 HAS3 yesterday as get me through Xmas distraction and then I realized there is a GB going on so can I join please?

Just done a bit of sticking so far....

IMG_8809_zpse3e24a97.jpg

and one of the rotor control bits has pinged off somewhere already so no change there then

I did have an ulterior motive for buying it - an unfinished HMA8 waiting for some decals and I was thinking of using the Black Cat decals on it and hopefully have enough left to do the ICE version.

So can I join? Pretty please - guaranteed to finish though not necessarily well.

Edited by Plastic Bonsai

You'd think I'd learnt my lesson from the FAA GB but...

I bought a Revell 1/32 HAS3 yesterday as get me through Xmas distraction and then I realized there is a GB going on so can I join please?

Just done a bit of sticking so far....

IMG_8809_zpse3e24a97.jpg

and one of the rotor control bits has pinged off somewhere already so no change there then

I did have an ulterior motive for buying it - an unfinished HMA8 waiting for some decals and I was thinking of using the Black Cat decals on it and hopefully have enough left to do the ICE version.

So can I join? Pretty please - guaranteed to finish though not necessarily well.

Start yourself a build thread and carry on building, you're in!

Antony

During the lead up to the US Navy's LAMPS programm apparently the Westland Lynx was offerd as an alterantive to the Kaman Seasprite. However I have never seen any photographic evidence of the scheme it might have carried. The scheme at the time would have been Engine Grey and then maybe later on, Gull Grey over White ala the Sea Kings (or not). Mention was made in an Air Internation article on the LAMPS program but that was all.

Has anyone such reference or can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

How do you join the two fuselage?

This is my second RN lynx in 48th and no matter what I try can I get the cockpit/ cabin bath tub to fit in the two fuselages, I have hacked and filed but still I get a gap at the top fwd join.

How do you do yours????

Ian, it can be tricky for sure! The whole thing is a very snug fit and with everything in place, I do believe the whole cabin is under a bit of compression once all together. You'll need to trim quite a bit from the upper part of the cabin roof and also the control frame in the cockpit (also the inner faces of the cockpit where the D frame will sit). Luckily, the fuselage can be glued together in sections. I tend to start with the rear fuselage and dab a bit of superglue around the lower rear (avionics bay and upper section). Once thats dry, I then work on the nose section and ensure its perfectly straight (to ensure no fit issues with screen or nose later). Then finally the top fwd part. I've not had too many issues as I tend to spend bloody hours dry fitting it, sanding and fettling until it almost falls in to place. Its a case of dabbing enough superglue on to the top part then carefully holding it with flat tweezers until the glue has taken. Once all this is done, I then dab some glue on the inside of the rear bulkhead. I dont tend to put any glue on the cockpit or cabin floor area as it is sometimes required to have a little bit of 'give' when attaching the lower fuselage floor. Not glueing the cabin floor allows this.

In summary, I think the key is to shave quite a bit off the D frame and the cabin roof and the associated inner surfaces where they mate.

Thanks Tony for the insight.

I seemed to have followed all your suggestions. It's alarming when after you have spent all that time building the perfect ( or as close as you can get it) cockpit and cabin, the Dremel slices big chunks out.

Still mustn't grumble.

Cheers again Tony.

Hi guys

Unfortunately, due to ongoing issues in the real world, i am stepping down as host for this GB, i apologise wholeheartedly for this, but in this case i need to sort out the leaky, cold house and look after my better half.

If anyone else wishes to take the reins, i'm sure Mish will be very accomodating and ensure this happens.

Sorry again

Antony