GB Chat

Cracking banner, Colin (shame its an ugly shopping trolley navy Lynx...)

In a bit of a quandary now. I was going to do a 1/48 'conversion' (read - 90% scratch build) of a Wildcat but I succumbed to temptation and made a start on it about three weeks ago. I'll start a separate thread on that beast. The issue now is what the hell shall I build?? Tempted to grab one of my AH7's out of the stash and convert it to something or other. Tempted with one of the early pre production aircraft (three windows in cabin doors) or one of the varied configurations that G-LYNX has had over the years. Quite fancy doing a lovely blue Danish Mk90B in 1/32.

Decisions decisions. Help!!!!

Preview of the Wildcat

11075992066_7121ebdc3e_c.jpg

11076017786_bba3af6de3_c.jpg

• Like 1

Now doesn't that look tasty, all those flat panels... I saw htwese parrts at telford and tyony and I had a good chat about it and one on one for a change. Howver, Tony I think you've overrun the 25% rule on that one.

A Danish cab sound real cool, it was one of my choices but you now know differently (everybody else see elswhere). He, he he!

Personally I can't wait for Saturday, yes I know there is rugby on but....

Colin

Jens, I cant believe you've not done a Mk90 yet?? What have you been doing?? I will most certainly take you up on Dane info thanks mate. You've made my mind up......Hmm. 1/48 or 1/32? (I'm tempted to go 1/48 to save space....)

Hmm, change of plans again. Just been looking through my vast collection of piccies of different versions and I'm tempted to go for a pre-production version in 1/48. I dont think I'll do a Danish cab as I will leave that privilege to you, Jens.

BTW, what rate of man hours servicing to flying hours are you getting on your aircraft, Jens? Wildcat is currently running at 40 man hours per flying hour! Progress, eh? When the Lynx first came in to service in 1977, it was about the same..........

I don't have the statistics at hand but it is rather maintenance heavy. Also, we often have to wait for spare parts and overhauled parts from abroad. I think that might have been one of the reasons the Wildcat wasn't chosen as the replacement for our Lynx.

Jens

As an example, one of the new aircraft we got delivered only had 3 hours left on it until a 25 hour servicing. A bit like buying a new car that needs a 10,000 mile service as soon as you pick it up.....

Another aircraft that we got delivered had to have its main rotor head replaced (legacy part from old Lynx) due to it being written off. It had burn and scorch marks on it. We discovered it as soon as it got delivered but the company said it was ok. It took them 6 months to decide that it was written off.....but we still had to spend the man hours removing it and also use one of our own main rotor heads to replace it (cost - about 3/4 million quid). The third aircraft we had delivered had one of its pitot tubes bent. I could go on....and probably will through out this group build...grrr.

As an example, one of the new aircraft we got delivered only had 3 hours left on it until a 25 hour servicing. A bit like buying a new car that needs a 10,000 mile service as soon as you pick it up.....

Another aircraft that we got delivered had to have its main rotor head replaced (legacy part from old Lynx) due to it being written off. It had burn and scorch marks on it. We discovered it as soon as it got delivered but the company said it was ok. It took them 6 months to decide that it was written off.....but we still had to spend the man hours removing it and also use one of our own main rotor heads to replace it (cost - about 3/4 million quid). The third aircraft we had delivered had one of its pitot tubes bent. I could go on....and probably will through out this group build...grrr.

Sorry to butt in but this made me smile.

I served for 24 years, 15 of them on Rapier, I feel your pain. British Aerospace had all the answers but none of the solutions

I have an Airfix AH7 on top of the wardrobe. Should I dive in????

If you climb on top of the wardrobe you should be abale to reach in and get the kit, no need to dive in. Come on we'll make you very welcome, the more the merrier.

Colin