Airfix Tiger Moth

Denford

Heads up, Tigermoth is now available on Airfix.com.

Yaay! Thanks for the info Rob. I'll have to wait until the LHS has it but I'll definitely be getting one.

Geedubelyar:

Yes I can scan them if you like. But I warn you it's a pretty dull civil scheme. Silver with a bit of red and strangely; interior green flying wires. Plus the photos date back to eighties with all that implies. There's about twenty photos, plenty of close ups though.

That would be super Noel, thanks. All the close-ups possible. I don't expect to add anything to the 1/72nd scale version but I do have the 1/32nd scale Revell kit in the stash for a future project.

Hi All,

Well I'm looking forward to getting one.

Cheers,

Daniel.

All of the above images in this post are Copyright ©2012 Daniel Cox.

Very sharp shots Daniel. Would you consider making any detail photos available for reference?

Now I can't wait to see how the model looks. Let everyone see some photos as soon as your kits land please folks.

Cheers.

Pictures of two of the new tool Tiger Moths up on the Airfix Tribute Forum;

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41910

Whoa!!!! Is that 1/72?!?!?!?!?! :gobsmacked:

Okay, I realise those models have been built my a master modeller, but it all bodes very well for the rest of us. I don't see how anyone can resist that civvy scheme!

• Like 1

Just had alook and agree with what someone on ATf says, the upper cowl lines do look a bit to humpish. Also the fin looks a bit too upright. If this is the case.... well I feel quite saddened now. But will still buy a couple to see for myself rather than go by a photo.

Hi All,

Well I'm looking forward to getting one.

9781068952_5623e83042_o.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel.

All of the above images in this post are Copyright ©2012 Daniel Cox.

Looks like Pring Shambler needs to leave the finger buns alone!

Pictures of two of the new tool Tiger Moths up on the Airfix Tribute Forum;

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41910

Thanks for the link Richard. It does look good to my eyes. The rear three-quarter view of the civvie scheme looks much larger scale.

Excellent work Airfix, thank you. :mike:

Just had alook and agree with what someone on ATf says, the upper cowl lines do look a bit to humpish. Also the fin looks a bit too upright. If this is the case.... well I feel quite saddened now. But will still buy a couple to see for myself rather than go by a photo.

That didn't take long.. :rolleyes: .

Personally, I think it looks just about right.

• Like 2

I have one of the original releases. I'll take some comparison photos when my new kit arrives.

• Like 1

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've got it in my sticky mitts.

Wez

First one has to be the glider tug from RNAS Fulmar (Lossiemouth) for me. My dad told me a story of one flight in it over Bennachie heading back to base in a stiff headwind. As he climbed to clear the hill he looked down on the peak then pressed on. A few minutes later he looked back over the side to see he was still over the peak. Indicated airspeed matched to headwind speed equalled hover.

He still has the prop hub with a clock in the centre after a bad landing shattered the blades and he was 'presented' the remains as a memento of the incident.

I'm with you on that. XL717 it is. Somewhere in the files I have a photograph of her in the silver with red dayglo stripes on the engine cowlings .She has the solid dayglo paint on rear fuselage and wing tips but she still has the yellow trainer bands on the wings.

Rg

The kit looks right to me, but I would like to reserve my opinion with the kit in my hands.

Looking at photos, it seems that there are many little differences between particular aircraft. For example, plans show a straight line from the windshield to the front of the engine cover but almost all Tigers have the covers more or less raised. Trabant quality control?

The kit looks right to me, but I would like to reserve my opinion with the kit in my hands.

Looking at photos, it seems that there are many little differences between particular aircraft. For example, plans show a straight line from the windshield to the front of the engine cover but almost all Tigers have the covers more or less raised. Trabant quality control?

Comparing the ATF model profile photos to a very clean photo of a Norwegian Tiggie, it seems to me that the builder of the model may have aligned the engine hood with the underside of the front fuselage (where there should be a notable step) instead of with the top side, where there normally shouldn't.

So perhaps the impression of a 'hump' is just due to a slightly misaligned engine cowling?

I have several on order, too...

Kind regards,

Joachim

The cowl is fitted as per the kit's instructions. There are tabs on the front of the fuselage that fit into slots on the inside of the cowl. There's nothing to misalign.

EDIT

I just dry fitted the cowl of another kit to it's fuselage and there is a tiny step between the rear of the cowl and the fuselage in front of the windscreen.

Don't forget the pictures show the model about 30% bigger than what the kit is so any imperfection either in the kit or it's build is exaggerated.

Edited by BAC
  • Like 1

If anything is making it look odd I don't think it is the aircraft itself but the crew, they look a little small to me and are making the model look a little bulky.

Dek.