Airfix Tiger Moth

Denford

I have in my mind a well known picture of a Spit V (a Canadian squadron I think). Behind it is a Tiger Moth with a sharkmouth. No idea of the serial and I can't find the picture on line (hint!!) so if possible that would be one of the ones I'd do.

I know the shot you're speaking of, Trevor. I'll try to remember to have a hunt for it, but I don't have a clear vision of where to start- maybe "Spitfire The Canadians"? (or my own computer collection of images?)

Darn it, 72nd has been so easy to avoid, but a little Tiger would make a great Christmas tree ornament... ACDC would be tempting, but so many choices...

bob

By the way, to portray a Canadian built Tiger, the main undercarrige legs have more of a forward rake, narrower tubular main wing struts, a Menasco engine often replaced the DH Gypsy. Easily recognised by the intake on the opposite side I think. Tail wheel rather than skid and of course for the winters the covered cockpit with deeper sills and optional skis fitted for snow. And...extended exhaust pipe with plumbing for cabin heating of course!!.

Then you can do more conversions like the real one was in small numbers. I.e: the Thruxton Jackaroo!! This was basically a four seater Tiger with a wider fuselage(by a foot I think) in the cockpit area and glazing all over. The wings were also pushed further out wit inserts either side of the upper wing fuel tank. Probably other changes but I don't recall any more. Crop spraying ones in NZ with the rear fuselage exposed to reveal the basic framework and a hopper in the front seat well!!!

Tiger club tigers for me ACDC or ASKP which I flew in more times or G-ANJA which of course was a Tiger moth that took off & landed on grass ! :banghead: it was also in silver with Yellow training bands & flew the best of them according to my experienced & knowledgeable pilot Mr Burton. I shall buy shed loads of these kits!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Carlos. There is a difference in rib spacing between the un-slatted and slatted Moth wings. The Tiger wing top wing is also a different shape towards the root than the DH 60 Moth. The Tiger has shortened rear spars to achieve the sweep.

John

Carlos. There is a difference in rib spacing between the un-slatted and slatted Moth wings. The Tiger wing top wing is also a different shape towards the root than the DH 60 Moth. The Tiger has shortened rear spars to achieve the sweep.

John

There goes my idea. The Airfix Tiger Moth will have slats, if the pictures in the calendar are to be believed.

Thanks John.

First one has to be the glider tug from RNAS Fulmar (Lossiemouth) for me. My dad told me a story of one flight in it over Bennachie heading back to base in a stiff headwind. As he climbed to clear the hill he looked down on the peak then pressed on. A few minutes later he looked back over the side to see he was still over the peak. Indicated airspeed matched to headwind speed equalled hover.

I'm told that was possible in the Piper Cub as well.

Heard about the new Tiger Moth while in the Cardiff Modelzone the other day. Looking forward to that one alright.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

• 1 month later...

The Tiger Moth military version (A01025) is due for release at the end of January with the Starter set (A55115) due about 2 weeks laater. There is no confirmed release date for the civil version (A010124) as yet.

• Like 1

I just thought I'd put the post ref the surface blobs on the wings and tail of the AZ kit. I think the raised domes are peculiar to Australian Tigers where as the more common method of inspection points are Wood Frames celluloid patch frames.

The correct method for the Celluloid patch is that it is a ring or more common a square frame of Celluloid (it bonds with cellulose dope to the fabric) which are called 'Woods frames'. These frames are stuck to the fabric and the middle can then be cut out for access and then a piece of fabric is re-patched over the hole for future use. The Woods frame serves two purposes, it reinforces the inspection hole and indicates the exact spot for future access. The celluloid is about 1.5mm thick. The Woods frame method predates WW.2 but not necessarily on Tigers.
John

The Tiger Moth military version (A01025) is due for release at the end of January with the Starter set (A55115) due about 2 weeks laater. There is no confirmed release date for the civil version (A010124) as yet.

Hannants website list the release date for BOTH versions as the end of January!

It would have been very surprising to have Airfix advertising at the end of December a kit/version that wasn't due out until June, so a January release of the civil version makes a lot of sense. That may not imply anything about the military one, other than if only the civil version was initially released we'd get a distorted idea of how popular small civil models are! Hopefully both will appear as Hannants suggest.. the 15th doesn't count as "late", does it? Ah well, not to bother the LHS today then.

The Hattons website also suggests that the Military, Civil & Starter kits will all be out (not set in concrete) by 31 January 2014.

It appears they have used the last day of each respective month for other 2014 Airfix releases as well.

Cheers.. and cannot wait for this little beauty.. Dave

• Like 1

The Hattons website also suggests that the Military, Civil & Starter kits will all be out (not set in concrete) by 31 January 2014.It appears they have used the last day of each respective month for other 2014 Airfix releases as well. Cheers.. and cannot wait for this little beauty.. Dave

Do you mean HANNANTS Web site. ... :wicked:

Do you mean HANNANTS Web site. ... :wicked:

No - there's a Liverpool based (mainly train) model shop that sells all the new Airfix kits as well.

It's called Hattons and you can view their online shop at ehattons.com.

Here's a link to their Airfix 1/72 scale section - http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000429/1000597/1000662/0/Airfix_1_72_Scale_Aircraft_military/prodlist.aspx

100% guarantee of totch notch sales and service.... I've been a loyal and happy customer for a number of years.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

No - there's a Liverpool based (mainly train) model shop that sells all the new Airfix kits as well.

It's called Hattons and you can view their online shop at ehattons.com.

Here's a link to their Airfix 1/72 scale section - http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000429/1000597/1000662/0/Airfix_1_72_Scale_Aircraft_military/prodlist.aspx

100% guarantee of totch notch sales and service.... I've been a loyal and happy customer for a number of years.

I've been in their shop! I have a funny story about it...

• 2 weeks later...