Airfix Tiger Moth

Denford

I was only at Telford till early afternoon, so didn't see the sprues for the new Tiger Moth on Airfix's stand.

Can anybody who did see them comment on them or, God be praised, post a photo of them.

It was a very very lovely kit, I am sorry I didnt take any pictures, but I'll do y best to describe it:

Series 1, two releases starting in Jan with a military scheme, camo and yellow, a civil scheme to follow around June.

Interior detail on fuse sides is good, along with good cockpit detail for the size with very fine moulding all over. Fine panel lines ( they get finer with every release ) and the BEST representation of fabric over framework that I have ever seen.

It's gorgeous.

• Like 2

It was a very very lovely kit, I am sorry I didnt take any pictures, but I'll do y best to describe it:

Series 1, two releases starting in Jan with a military scheme, camo and yellow, a civil scheme to follow around June.

Interior detail on fuse sides is good, along with good cockpit detail for the size with very fine moulding all over. Fine panel lines ( they get finer with every release ) and the BEST representation of fabric over framework that I have ever seen.

It's gorgeous.

THANK YOU

Amazing. Thank goodness for Hornby.

Does anyone remember the dark days when Airfix was under Palitoy and tied in to Heller?

Nick

No. No no no. Can't because I've blocked the horrible memory of decals so out of register the sheet looked like the effects of bad drugs or needed 3d glasses to make sense of. Horrible.

In fairness, the link to Heller wasn't all bad...they had some really nice little kits. I was particularly fond of Heller's Gladiator and Vampire. However, I have to agree with the statements about quality, decals etc etc. Just awful!

Agree with Nick on this one...all hail to Hornby, the saviours of our Airfix! :)

Nice little resume of the parts sprues but you forgot to mention the dH monogram on the wheel hubs - I kid not! Same attention to ease of construction as the Glad and the Swordfish, should be a dodddle to build.

Lovely little kit and sooo many possibilities for pretty civvy markings........ Whose got a favourite?

First one has to be the glider tug from RNAS Fulmar (Lossiemouth) for me. My dad told me a story of one flight in it over Bennachie heading back to base in a stiff headwind. As he climbed to clear the hill he looked down on the peak then pressed on. A few minutes later he looked back over the side to see he was still over the peak. Indicated airspeed matched to headwind speed equalled hover.

He still has the prop hub with a clock in the centre after a bad landing shattered the blades and he was 'presented' the remains as a memento of the incident.

• Like 2

It's a kit I've suggested on several occasions on this forum so I feel obliged to buy one (or two!).

Obviously a wartime camo version. I have in my mind a well known picture of a Spit V (a Canadian squadron I think). Behind it is a Tiger Moth with a sharkmouth. No idea of the serial and I can't find the picture on line (hint!!) so if possible that would be one of the ones I'd do.

Trevor

There are a number of differences found on the RAAF Tigers: this was discussed in a thread on the AZ Tiger Moth, which does include RAAF options. The same changes (eg removal of wingtip navigation lights) will be required with the new kit - I think it safe to assume that the nav lights are provided! January is a pleasingly early date for release

Edited by Graham Boak

Correct, but quite a lot of Tigers didn't have spin strakes. There are other smaller details specific to the RAAF. If interested, see http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=3351&st=45 The thread does point out a number of more general tweaks beneficial to the AZ Tiger, which hopefully will not be needed on the Airfix one.

I'm looking forward to this kit - I may buy a number of them - mainly because I know the price will be right, the assembly should be "fairly" straightforward and I have a huge soft spot for the Tiger Moth - so many Canadian schemes... :D :D :D

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot find anything about this release. Sounds like a new tool kit from the excitement. But which scale? 1:72? 1:48???

Rene

1/72nd!!!! Natch!! Although I wouldn't be disappointed for a 48th one. (got an Aeroclub 48th one hoarded carefully and an original Aurora one in its orginal box tooo!!!)

Will definitely add a few to my collection for future inspiration. Flown in G-ACDC but have already built this from a Pavla kit, Which leads me to saying I still have another Pavla kit of the Canadian version and an AZ kit, The new Airfix one will be very interesting to compare with them and the Aeroclub 72nd kit which I have partially built!