Matchbox Harrier GR3

Hi all well I was enjoying the Jaguar that much and the nostalgia of Matchbox kits I decided to do another, Here I am doing another off the stash. The Matchbox Harrier GR3.

I am really enjoying this group build and its giving me a reason to do some modeling.

Heres were I am so far. Cheers Rob (I think its the box art that does it.)

null_zpsf75c3419.jpg

null_zps7f48a2bb.jpg

null_zpsea98db79.jpg

null_zps18ce927b.jpg

null_zpsa761b995.jpg

null_zps92e78557.jpg

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 3

I hope Its not a problem I am just having fun with the nostalgia and obsolete thing. Its also a good excuse to get through the stash a bit. Its nice to take part too and after missing so many GBs last year I guess I am making up,

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

I really love how you can just throw a matchbox kit together. ;)

You're right Rob, the few I've made in recent years went together really well.

They seem much better than Airfix of similar vintage - although maybe in my memory I am comparing them with much older Airfix kits :hmmm:

Any idea which kits Airfix were releasing around the time that this Harrier was produced?

Cheers

Cliff

You're right Rob, the few I've made in recent years went together really well.

They seem much better than Airfix of similar vintage - although maybe in my memory I am comparing them with much older Airfix kits :hmmm:

Any idea which kits Airfix were releasing around the time that this Harrier was produced?

Cheers

Cliff

hi Cliff i am not sure to be honest but according to this fantastic website I have just found dedicated to these kits. Mine was from 1987. I was 3 then. ..............

Cheers Rob

http://www.matchboxkits.org/index.php?osCsid=29ra5a9auip4fopm7o3sjqlmt0

The sea king and Wessex are on my list of must builds. I have only tried once at a Helicopter when I was a kit. it went in the bin and I was defeated same with the Tigermoth. I guess that's why I have never done a chopper or bi plane since...

But I do have the Matchbox Lynx and Chinhook on the stash pile to try..

I also have that Revell Sopwith Camel to have ago at once I have learned how to do it from watching your build.

Cheers Rob ;)

Based on the much earlier GR.1 kit which was, I'm sure, from the early to mid 70s.

Certainly a different style of kit to what Airfix were doing at the time with their raised but fine panel lines and rash of rivets against the trench lines of the Matchbox monoplanes. As an aside, picked up a couple of Matchbox biplanes from a club sale on Tuesday night, the constrast between the simplistic nature of the monoplanes in relation to the finer parts of the biplanes could make one think they were the product of different companies.

Have you decided which of the two marking options you are doing Rob? Something tells me Enzo will be trying to steer you towards the 4 Sqn. machine ;)

• Like 1

I have no idea on which of the two offerings to do I am open to sugesstions. I am just glad they are both something different to the more common markings from whittering.

Your right about its origins being of the GR1 kit. which reminds me I have a stalled build on here from 2011 or 2010 consisting of 1x matchbox gr1 , 1x airfix gr1, 1x airfix gr9 harriers all to be done in original and sadly retirement scheme.,,

I think I was and still am so Peed off at the harriers being retired I could not touch it. I cant believe that only a year after receiving brand new engines and upgraded avionics they were scrapped. Same with the nimrod the moment I touched the kit they were announcing its retirement .. then I made a VC-10 and well.... they are now gone too...

Think I am cursed...

Cheers Rob

Based on the much earlier GR.1 kit which was, I'm sure, from the early to mid 70s.

Certainly a different style of kit to what Airfix were doing at the time with their raised but fine panel lines and rash of rivets against the trench lines of the Matchbox monoplanes. As an aside, picked up a couple of Matchbox biplanes from a club sale on Tuesday night, the constrast between the simplistic nature of the monoplanes in relation to the finer parts of the biplanes could make one think they were the product of different companies.

Have you decided which of the two marking options you are doing Rob? Something tells me Enzo will be trying to steer you towards the 4 Sqn. machine ;)

After having a read and familiarizing myself It is a 4 sqn machine I wish to do as it happens I love the markings. the black red and yellow really add the the camo colours.

• Like 1

Well, if you wanted to 'try' a biplane I would recommend the Matchbox Fury, Siskin or Boeing (P-12?).

They are simplicity to make as the cabane struts key together under and inside the top cowling making for remarkably hassle-free construction and alignment.

Christian the Married and exiled to africa and dreaming about going to the newsagents to see what new Matchbox models were on the shelves...

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions there I will have a look thanks.

Well the harrier is taking shape now,. Shouldnt be too long now..

null_zps522e9903.jpg

The shape is pretty good though the nose looks a bit funny it sort of hangs low and its a little fat. But certainly not a bad harrier by any means.

Cheers Rob ;)

Well, if you wanted to 'try' a biplane I would recommend the Matchbox Fury, Siskin or Boeing (P-12?).

They are simplicity to make as the cabane struts key together under and inside the top cowling making for remarkably hassle-free construction and alignment.

Christian the Married and exiled to africa and dreaming about going to the newsagents to see what new Matchbox models were on the shelves...

The old Matchbox Fury and also I think their Gladiator can be found in the recent Revell boxings. As Christian says they are a great starting point for cutting your biplane teeth on.

• Like 1

After having a read and familiarizing myself It is a 4 sqn machine I wish to do as it happens I love the markings. the black red and yellow really add the the camo colours.

I did my matchbox GR.3 as that option. In 1988 :)

One thing that always frustrated me with the Matchbox Harriers was the lack of gun pods. They just look wrong without them. On the other hand if you quickly look from one intake to the other you can create the illusion the fan is rotating. Hours (well, minutes, well, seconds really) of fun for an 11 year old :).

• Like 2

Ah nostalgia! Gutersloh, WEST Germany I suddenly feel like a dinosaur :bleh: You'll be telling me that Bonn isn't the capital next.

Those Matchbox kits certainly go together well and quickly it seems. IIRC the Airfix gunpods were rather slim as well. Seems to be a problem for other Harrier kits as well.

Second the Matchbox Fury for learning rigging on. There were definitely two classes of Matchbox kit and the Fury (and Seafox) were obviously labours of love for somebody. Others were done because they had to be it seems.

• Like 1

I had forgotten Matchbox did a Gr3, I have very fond memories of Matchbox kits, in the day they were often critcised a bit for the panel trenches - odd thing is they usually built up into very nice looking models, Many modellers are happy with a number of Revell releases without knowing the Matchbox provenance. Their biplanes were good and I remember building the 1/32 Lysander which looked great. It's pleasing to see this build and makes me want to dig a few matchbox out of my stash! Pity the thread is 'obselete', 'classic' would be much mre pleasant!

• Like 1

Eye matchbox are good kits everyone goes on about the trench lines and basic details but its not bad I focus more on the positive things they offer. Great plastic, Great fit, Great fun, Good range of off stuff and the cool stuff, Look fantastic when finished and Pure nostalgia. Whats not to like..

Cheers Rob ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Decisions decsions.....

1.Gear up or gear down.....

2. armed or un armed as this has not aden cannons just rails. Nice to see a clear harrier maybe..

3. I suddenly had a random idea for a Whiff..........(not sure if they are welcome here but...) I was thinking wonder what they would look like if we still had GR3s in service and then I thought how nice it would look in barley grey and LAG undersides. Or the current dark camo grey with DSG uppers... But they look best in wrap around me thinks.

Suggestions welcome.

Rob ;)

2. armed or un armed as this has not aden cannons just rails. Nice to see a clear harrier maybe..

How about in the display fit? Gunpods removed and strakes fitted (as you have shown). Centreline pylon removed. Combat tanks on inboard pylons. Empty outboard pylons. The jet would have been washed before the display so there would be none of the usual disgusting grey/brown gunk on the rear fuselage and centreline.

• Like 1

Cool I have only got bombs and SNEBs with this thing Fuel tanks on these are the longer ones arnt they (spot the knowledgeable here lol....) I hope the hasegawa kit I have has some to pinch. A clean one would be nice.

Cheers Rob

How about in the display fit? Gunpods removed and strakes fitted (as you have shown). Centreline pylon removed. Combat tanks on inboard pylons. Empty outboard pylons. The jet would have been washed before the display so there would be none of the usual disgusting grey/brown gunk on the rear fuselage and centreline.

I take it something like this is the order of the day then. I see the wheels down config has the front doors open this kit does not seem to cater for that so I might do wheels up.

Looks the same as what I have seen under buccaneers. Cheers Rob :)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/1029600/L/