If I can get back the will to make models again; I'm thinking of cross kitting a couple of Airfix 54mm figures to make a Royal Marine circa 1805

:thumbsup: I really wanna see that!

I don't believe in pure coincidence. Whats that word or words when different events or things tend to look like they influence a decision?

The Royal Marines of 1805 wore a particular type of head dress. I was thinking about how best to make it, dimensions etc.

At my #1 son's at Christmas; lo, behold he had one of those hats. He's not a hat person. Asked why he had it he told me he saw it in a shop and felt compelled to buy it, just cos he liked it.

Kinda strange, innit?

PS; Dunno If I'll do it for this but I'm going to cross kit some other figures to make Capt. John Churchill.

nothing I could build in a day Col

Never mind. Only a few hours to go now ;)

If I can get back the will to make models again; I'm thinking of cross kitting a couple of Airfix 54mm figures to make a Royal Marine circa 1805

:thumbsup: I really wanna see that!

I'd really like to see that as well BK. Hope you find that modelling will again.

I don't believe in pure coincidence. Whats that word or words when different events or things tend to look like they influence a decision?

The Royal Marines of 1805 wore a particular type of head dress. I was thinking about how best to make it, dimensions etc.

At my #1 son's at Christmas; lo, behold he had one of those hats. He's not a hat person. Asked why he had it he told me he saw it in a shop and felt compelled to buy it, just cos he liked it.

Kinda strange, innit?

PS; Dunno If I'll do it for this but I'm going to cross kit some other figures to make Capt. John Churchill.

Serendipity perhaps?

Just had a quick count (very quick.), it looks like we are at 41 enteries so far and we haven't even kicked off yet. Each one looks excellent too, I think I'm going to really enjoy this one!

I'm rather hoping we all enjoy this one. I certainly am so far and we've not even started yet :D

Am I cool to enter more than one build into the GB?

I have a feeling I'll finish my Shack by the end of January

Yes of course you can. In fact it seems almost de rigueur for this GB so far :lol:

• Like 2

Come on guys, only 112 days left on this GB, best get cracking if you want to meet that deadline!

On a serious note, I've just looked at the GB calendar and the helicopter GB (my 2nd most eagerly anticipated GB of 2016) considerably overlaps this one. I hope this doesn't affect my, or anyone else's, plans.

• Like 2

On a serious note, I've just looked at the GB calendar and the helicopter GB (my 2nd most eagerly anticipated GB of 2016) considerably overlaps this one. I hope this doesn't affect my, or anyone else's, plans.

Same here - I also have the STGB P47 starting next week!! :frantic::frantic:

• Like 1

Come on guys, only 112 days left on this GB, best get cracking if you want to meet that deadline!

It does with mine. I'm hoping to build a 1/48 scale chinook for the helicopter GB which overlaps the great patriotic war which I'm hosting and that overlaps the Mto GB which I'm Co hosting and I still want to build a kit for the cold war gb

• Like 1

all a bit hectic for me as well, 2 builds for this now underway, with 2 more planned

KUTA 2015 project to finish if I can get some stencils

Lancaster still to finish

Tornado to finish once i get decals

Hurricane STGB

P-47 STGB

Plus my own personal extended Vietnam GB

Plus the 12 month long annul GB of building whatever I fancy/get cheap on ebay/find in my LHS

• Like 1

Hello, do you have room for one more? Started the Airfix 1/48th Gnat this afternoon as I needed a viceless (or as close as good enough for government work) build to restore a bit of modelling mojo after having fought the Italeri single seat Eurofighter Typhoon to a stalemate over the last two months.

I thought I'd bought the far better later Revell issue but it turns out that Revell had also previously issued the Italeri PoS (and I wondered at the time why my tiny rubbish bid had won on eBay!). Still the stickers on it can wait, let's start enjoying modelling again!

I plan to do the Gnat in the 1977 Red Arrows scheme (and it will be completely OOB). What could be more British than that?

Edited by Fatcawthorne
  • Like 2

I have scoured the thread for a definitive answer and all I found was a 'case by case basis' for some particular types.

I have a Westland Sea King I am thinking about completing. It would be a MK50/A in RAN service.

One of the criteria is:

'British Designed and/or built and Used by Others'

These aircraft were built in GB so would it be eligible?

I have scoured the thread for a definitive answer and all I found was a 'case by case basis' for some particular types.

I have a Westland Sea King I am thinking about completing. It would be a MK50/A in RAN service.

One of the criteria is:

'British Designed and/or built and Used by Others'

These aircraft were built in GB so would it be eligible?

In the same way as the Shorts Tucano was eligible as wholly built in the UK then yes a Westland Sea King is.

Hey guys, in the last year i had very limited time for modelling, so i had to leave some of my BM GB builds unfinished :( But i think i should be able to finish some build in 4 months.. :D sooo, i have to decide now... Eduard´s Spitfire IX in the XXX modification (with beer barrels ;) ).. or Airfix 1/72 Lancaster.. or the big 1/24 Tiffie, but i m not sure if i could finish the large scale kit with enough justice.. Well obviously there are many more in the stash (loads of spitfires and hurricanes, some mossie and such :) ), but probably the beer spitfire is the favourite by now :)

• Like 3

The HArrier GR.7 could be a good subject?

In case, i'm in!

ciao

Ale

Alas the GR.7 is not eligible due to being built jointly by the US and UK. As PhantomBigStu says, however, the earlier GR.1/3 and FRS types are if you want to do a Harrier.

Hey guys, in the last year i had very limited time for modelling, so i had to leave some of my BM GB builds unfinished :( But i think i should be able to finish some build in 4 months.. :D sooo, i have to decide now... Eduard´s Spitfire IX in the XXX modification (with beer barrels ;) ).. or Airfix 1/72 Lancaster.. or the big 1/24 Tiffie, but i m not sure if i could finish the large scale kit with enough justice.. Well obviously there are many more in the stash (loads of spitfires and hurricanes, some mossie and such :) ), but probably the beer spitfire is the favourite by now :)

These sound great subjects. Hopefully see you starting a thread soon :)

• Like 1

Well gang, here I am in the horns of a dilemma, what kit to choose.

Front runner was the Testors Supermarine S6b but a number of shape inaccuracies will make for a lot of work. The spinner is too fat and blunt. The prop too narrow and wrong at its root. The nose slopes up too sharply from the wing to that spinner. The engine covers are too close together, too blunt at the front in two axis, do not go low enough at their mid-point, then slope down too much along their length and their inner angle is incorrect; to be fair their proximity to each other may be remedied by fixing that last point but either way there's a lot of work to be done. The floats also need their tips reshaping as does the tail fin leading edge. The surface corrogations along the fuselage would also benefit from work at their aft end and surface detail is poor; raised and embossed decal placement lines anyone? All this from 20 minutes checking photographs. There's also a total lack of cockpit and the rigging to consider.

A Special Hobby Sopwith Schneider was quickly eliminated from the running due to vague strut placement and rigging diagrams.

The Airfix Hawker Fury is tempting but again the rigging takes me a long way from my comfort zone.

A Hobbycraft Sea Fury was also in front of the queue for a while with aftermarket decals, Aries Cockpit and wheelbay, along with a resin engine, the SAC metal undercarriage legs are still need and I'm having trouble finding a set so will leave it to one side for the moment.

The AFV Scimitar looks a nice kit but I want to add aftermarket tracks and etch before starting it.

A Sea Harrier perhaps? Have at least 9 kits in the stash. There's also several GR.1, T.2, GR.3 etc.

A Seafire? Again there's at least 9 kits. A few Spitfires as well and plenty decals for PR versions.

More Hawker Hunter kits than I care to count.

In fact it's fair to say the vast majority of my stash would be appropriate for this GB.

I pulled three other kits from that aforementioned stash today. The new Airfix Beaufighter to do as a Banff based machine. The Tamiya Beafighter to convert to a Mk.1. A Tamiya 72nd scale Mosquito as a PR.IV for no other good reason than PRU Blue is my favourite colour to see any aircraft painted. Once the current Airfix Lightning F.1 project is done I'll have to pick one and crack on. Until then I can continue dithering.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2

Col. Just like Enzo would have said "do them all. You know you want to :wicked: " Hehehehehehe

Just kidding. I would go for the Tamiya Beaufighter.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Col. Just like Enzo would have said "do them all. You know you want to :wicked: " Hehehehehehe

Just kidding. I would go for the Tamiya Beaufighter.

Cheers,

The problem is Arnold I do want to do them all :frantic::lol:

Having had another dig through the reference shelves I've almost made a decision that I'm sure you'll approve of ;)

• Like 1

nope, a harrier gr1 or gr3 is though

ok thanks, i had a doubt so i asked! I'll search for another subject!

ciao

Ale

Edited by Ale85
  • Like 1