StashMate - Modellers' Stash Software

AngloSaxon

Hello all,

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to Mike for allowing me to make this post :D .

I've been busy developing some new software aimed at scale modellers. It's a Windows-based, database application that contains a set of useful features and tools which aim to make managing your stash simple and easy. In conjunction, I've also developed a version which will run on the Android Mobile platform, thereby allowing you to take a copy of your stash information wherever you go!

The main application is completely free and can be found, along with more information and fully documented user guides, at the following website: http://www.stashmate.co.uk

For general queries,suggestions or feature requests relating to the application please email: [email protected]

Or, for technical issues, usage support, or 'undocumented features' :whistle: , please email: [email protected]

I will of course, endeavour to reply to any emails at the earliest opportunity.

Many thanks for looking and if you decide to give it a try, I hope you find it useful.

Mike D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Panzer :D

I do have to say though, that I will probably charge a nominal fee for the mobile (Android) version :( . It has taken me a quite a bit of time to develop, as I have never written an Android application before. It will be a small fee though and I don't think it will be hard to bear for what is effectively, two pieces of software?

Thanks,

Mike D.

I've managed to have a quick go with it before my PC needed reinstalling (no link there!), and liked it. Give it a try, add a few kits, and I'm sure it'll become quite useful. I can't say I blame Mike for charging some pennies for the mobile version, as afterall, so far he's giving away the desktop version for free - how's he supposed to feed his stash without some recompense? :)

It's one of those apps that you'll probably wonder how you ever did without it once you've used it. :worthy:

• Like 1

Any idea when this will be going live on the Android market?

Hi jettnett2003,

I'm looking at the end of November at the latest. Also, the minimum requirement to run it will be Android Gingerbread 2.3, and I've deliberately kept this low as I know not everyone has the latest versions.

Mike D.

I've downloaded it and like what I see. The ability to link accessories and images to kits is great.

My challenge is that I have kits and accessory lists in xls files and I wondered is there some way to import them? Rekeying the data into StashMate would take a long time.

David

I've downloaded it and like what I see. The ability to link accessories and images to kits is great.

My challenge is that I have kits and accessory lists in xls files and I wondered is there some way to import them? Rekeying the data into StashMate would take a long time.

David

Hi David,

First of all, many thanks for downloading and having a look at StashMate.

I appreciate that entering the initial stash information will generally be the main challenge for many people. I did think about incorporating an import mechanism but the problem with Excel files and the like, is that they are personal and therefore people have their own layout and format, which means importing them would also be a very personal thing. I'm not saying impossible, but it is fraught with problems.

What is available is the clone feature which means if you have a lot of items which are similar, then you can enter the details of just one item and then clone it. Several times if need be. This can also be useful for items which have similar information. Let's say the scale, category, manufacturer etc. are the same but the description varies. Simply clone the item then edit it to change the description, saves having to enter all the other information. If I haven't explained this clearly, please send me a PM or email and I will try to explain it further.

Mike D.

I've used Excel for the same purpose for years.

Hi Space Ranger,

I appreciate many people used Excel and similar applications for many years to manage their stash items, however, I have tried to develop something which offers much more than just a spreadsheet or database. I have incorporated what I believe to be some useful features and tools that will hopefully make the task easier. Please have a look and see what you think: http://www.stashmate.co.uk :)

Mike D.

Hi David,

First of all, many thanks for downloading and having a look at StashMate.

I appreciate that entering the initial stash information will generally be the main challenge for many people. I did think about incorporating an import mechanism but the problem with Excel files and the like, is that they are personal and therefore people have their own layout and format, which means importing them would also be a very personal thing. I'm not saying impossible, but it is fraught with problems.

What is available is the clone feature which means if you have a lot of items which are similar, then you can enter the details of just one item and then clone it. Several times if need be. This can also be useful for items which have similar information. Let's say the scale, category, manufacturer etc. are the same but the description varies. Simply clone the item then edit it to change the description, saves having to enter all the other information. If I haven't explained this clearly, please send me a PM or email and I will try to explain it further.

Mike D.

Thanks, Mike. I do see how cloning works and would help but I have almost 500 line items of kits, accessories, decals, etc.. I have sent a PM.

David

PS - I like the drop down lists.

Hi guys,

Due to a couple of requests, and it basically making sense, I'm going to be adding a new feature which will enable the import of CSV files from Excel and the like. So, if you do have a lot of information contained in this format, it may be best to wait until the changes have been made so you can take advantage of this feature.

I will update this thread when the modified application is ready for download.

Regards,

Mike D.

• Like 1

Mike, this is an excellent piece of software - I've just downloaded it, and have started to play with it. I really like what I see so far, although it's already telling me I have far too many kits partially completed :D.

Anyway, brilliant stuff :thumbsup: - next I'll be looking at the Android version so I can carry the details with me to the shops :D.

• Like 1

Mike, this is an excellent piece of software - I've just downloaded it, and have started to play with it. I really like what I see so far, although it's already telling me I have far too many kits partially completed :D.

Anyway, brilliant stuff :thumbsup: - next I'll be looking at the Android version so I can carry the details with me to the shops :D.

Hi John,

Many thanks for the kind comments, they are much appreciated! :D

I know what you mean about partially completed kits! I blame the manufacturers though, they release far too many temptations :lol: .

Mike D.

• Like 1

Hi Space Ranger,

I appreciate many people used Excel and similar applications for many years to manage their stash items, however, I have tried to develop something which offers much more than just a spreadsheet or database. I have incorporated what I believe to be some useful features and tools that will hopefully make the task easier. Please have a look and see what you think: http://www.stashmate.co.uk :)

Mike D.

It looks like a very useful application. However, as I am strictly an Apple computer user, I'll have to give it a pass. However, if you were to develop a version that will run on older-generation (i.e., PowerPC) Macs, I'd try it in a heartbeat.

Hi Mike,

Looks good. I was going to use Suisoft to redo my stash list after my excel spreadsheet got corrupted at 1200 kits. sI now have to re-type it all out again or insert an old back up CSV file. so that feature would be handy.

One thing though, is there an ability to add a column or edit a colunm header i.e id like quantity as i have a number of the same kit. This would be simpler than copying the line multiple times.

Thankyou for making this software!!

I've just downloaded it and added all of my stash and then scared myself when I saw how much I've spent over the last few years!!

It's very useful, I really like the picture and weblink ability, thats very useful.

Many thanks,

Rich

• Like 1

It looks like a very useful application. However, as I am strictly an Apple computer user, I'll have to give it a pass. However, if you were to develop a version that will run on older-generation (i.e., PowerPC) Macs, I'd try it in a heartbeat.

Ah, that's a shame. Who knows though, if I can get enough people to use it then maybe I can give up the day job and take this further... :D .

Mike D.

Hi Mike,

Looks good. I was going to use Suisoft to redo my stash list after my excel spreadsheet got corrupted at 1200 kits. sI now have to re-type it all out again or insert an old back up CSV file. so that feature would be handy.

One thing though, is there an ability to add a column or edit a colunm header i.e id like quantity as i have a number of the same kit. This would be simpler than copying the line multiple times.

Hi Hardtarget,

Unfortunately, there isn't a feature to add or change the base columns :( . I can only say that the comments column can be used for additional information, although not ideal. I will certainly consider adding this as a future feature though :D .

Mike D.

Thankyou for making this software!!

I've just downloaded it and added all of my stash and then scared myself when I saw how much I've spent over the last few years!!

It's very useful, I really like the picture and weblink ability, thats very useful.

Many thanks,

Rich

Hi Rich,

No problem! Thanks for giving it a try and your comments :D .

Mike D.

p.s. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will scare themselves when they see the value of their stash :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi Hardtarget,

Unfortunately, there isn't a feature to add or change the base columns :( . I can only say that the comments column can be used for additional information, although not ideal. I will certainly consider adding this as a future feature though :D .

Mike D.

Please do Mike as its certainly something that id benefit from foresure and hopefully not that hard to implement as you have fields for value and costs so quantity shouldnt be a problem :). Or adapt the rating drop-down to state quantiry and the ability to have it as one of the headings.

If your able to create custom a fields everyone would benefit from it as we all have created fields in our spreadsheets.

Edited by Hardtarget

Hi Rich,

No problem! Thanks for giving it a try and your comments :D .

Mike D.

p.s. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will scare themselves when they see the value of their stash :winkgrin:

Thats why im ignoring the value fields :) I dont want to know or certainly have on record for SWMBO to find. ;)

• Like 2

Hi John,

Many thanks for the kind comments, they are much appreciated! :D

I know what you mean about partially completed kits! I blame the manufacturers though, they release far too many temptations :lol: .

Mike D.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you! It's also the reason I'm not entering values yet - SWMBO, supportive as she is, might not like that :D.

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Just downloaded Stashmate and had a little play, I like it, nice and simple to use.

A couple of thoughts - you have a purchase date, I would also find a completed date useful. Also a field to record where the kit is stored would be useful.

john