Matchbox Jaguar GR1

The first air intake is on and will need a tidy later. They look a little small on this. But will do.

null_zpsf925ead7.jpg

I need some help regarding weapons I am no weapons expert and cant remember their names. These were knocked up out of a tub of spare bits I keep, These came off a Revell tornado, airfix buccaneer and possibly other kits.

I think the only one I can name is SNEB Rocket pods, I could guess names of others.

So if some kind soul would like to name and number them from left to right and tell me what might work for a Jaguar be my guest.

Cheers Rob

null_zps0fa081ce.jpg

I normally do mine wheels up anyhow. but lately I am doing a few wheels down. I am tempted with this one. But its wheels are pretty awful but sturdy. I was thinking of using some spares from a corgi jaguar. However I am tempted to do wheels up and have some fun photo editing In Gimp making her fly. We Will see. If it wasn't for my indecision I might have painted her by now...

Oh you have to dunk them! they taste better then..

Right I have modded the pylons to take other weapons. Still hoping someone can help me out with the above previous posted photo of the weapons....

null_zps01ad963d.jpg

null_zps8ab1d206.jpg

null_zpscfd2d6e6.jpg

The decals look tidy. I wondered If i could do a wrap around with these but I might just do a light grey undersides one.

null_zps8547557a.jpg

cheers Rob

Afraid the only weapons in your pile that will look correct for a LAG underside bird are the MATRA rocket pods to the left of your photo there Rob. Did you say the gas tanks are ex-Tornado? Look the wrong shape for a Jag I think.

• Like 1

Hi Col yea they come off a 1/72 Revell or italeri Tornado. The other stuff is off a buccaneer, canberra, sea harrier possibly.

So I could fit her out with 4 SNEB Rocket pods and a bomb perhaps..

Here is the photo again so someone might name the stuff left to right for me. Cheers Rob

null_zps0fa081ce.jpg

I guess you could hang the LGB (4th in from the right) on this one for a later wraparound camo bird but think most of the electronic tricknology isn't relevant to a Jag or certainly not an early bird.

• Like 1

Cheers Col. Well the Decals are only really suitable for an early bird so I will do it as such. I guess I could have no load on..

What could I fit it with then I might have some more suitable stuff I can raid from another kit.

I can find many photos of early jags with the light belly sadly. Shame as its actually one of my fave schemes.

To be honest I was only making a wrap around as thats what I remember in the most. But Early livery It is Looks smart.

Anyhow while we are on the subject of nostalgia alot. Here is something that may bring back memories for some of you.

null_zps2e5b806d.jpg

null_zpsedb39ea0.jpg

null_zps945a0381.jpg

null_zps5684355e.jpg

Cheers Rob ;)

The decals look tidy. I wondered If i could do a wrap around with these but I might just do a light grey undersides one.

null_zps8547557a.jpg

cheers Rob

I don't think you can do a wrap-around scheme with those decals Rob - at least not with the 6 sqn one XX116.

XX116 appears many times in my logbook in the late 80's at which time it was in wrap-around. The canopeners badge had lost its white background in that scheme and the gunners stripe was on the RWR. See here - which is yours truly landing at St Athens for the air day in 1985 (this isn't XX116 I can't remember XX116s tail letter):

StAthensJag.jpg

I never saw a Jag fitted with rocket pods in the 80's - and I was a QWI.

In my time the war load morphed from 2 underwing tanks plus 4 x 1'000lbers or 4 x CBU (2 on the centre pylon plus 1 on each outboard wing pylon) to 1 tank on the centreline, ECM and Phimat pods on the outboard pylons and 4 x 1'000lbers or CBU - 2 on each inboard pylon (with tandem beam pylon extensions). Not sure you've got any of these have you.

We did toss LGBs every now and then as well.

I'm not an expert on Jag history mind you - so someone on BM will know more or better.

Enjoying this build Rob

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

Having lived under one of the main training routes for Lossiemouth-based Jags while they were in their heyday I usually seen them clean or with fuel tanks for the most part. Otherwise it was MATRA pods or 1000lb bombs if they were out to play at Tain ranges. Sometimes a recce pod on the centreline station.

Our house was small and well hidden by tall trees - difficult to see at low level until you were over it when the red roof made it obvious so an ideal 'target' for training. The whole valley was a busy place during the 80s and 90s with not only Lossie's home squadrons but also various visitors both from the UK and abroad. Happy days for a aeroplane-mad kid. Anyway, the Jag pilots seemed to be a special breed of mad and always flew a lot lower than most, miss living there and having the tranquility of country life shattered several times a day by some nutter in a fast jet. Seeing a green/grey Jag with LAG undersides modelled always makes me smile as I can recall getting plenty close-ups of those undersurfaces all those years ago.

• Like 1

well thanks very much for that guys. I am actually really looking forward to building her with light grey undersides. She looks pretty nice unarmed. I need to educate myself with weapons me thinks :pipe:

I used to be more well up on them Now I am very rusty to the point of pretty much having forgot it all.

I am currently messing around with the wheels I have build them up with sprue then I will drill them and fit them with spare wheels from a Corgi Jaguar. But still not sure if I will make her a flyer or a fun wheels down version with rolling rubber wheels.... (child yes :innocent: ) I will have to drill them out later.

null_zpsf835a7e0.jpg

Having lived under one of the main training routes for Lossiemouth-based Jags while they were in their heyday..... Anyway, the Jag pilots seemed to be a special breed of mad and always flew a lot lower than most, miss living there and having the tranquility of country life shattered several times a day by some nutter in a fast jet.

Full frontal lobotomy took place during the ground school phase of the Jag OCU. Helped with the low flying. Inconvenient these days however....:)

I wonder if you lived in one of the 100' tactical low flying training areas Col? Whenever we worked up for Red Flag etc we went up to Scotland for some 100' low flying - and there was a bit of a mentality that went - "well now were allowed down from 250' to 100' no one will notice/mind if we go just a bit lower here and there will they?" Ah - the self deception of yoof.

Thread drift over.

Full frontal lobotomy took place during the ground school phase of the Jag OCU. Helped with the low flying. Inconvenient these days however.... :)

I wonder if you lived in one of the 100' tactical low flying training areas Col? Whenever we worked up for Red Flag etc we went up to Scotland for some 100' low flying - and there was a bit of a mentality that went - "well now were allowed down from 250' to 100' no one will notice/mind if we go just a bit lower here and there will they?" Ah - the self deception of yoof.

Thread drift over.

Thread drift engaged.

I lived in a wee house just outside Alford, close to the Don river, in Aberdeenshire. There was a couple bridges (Brig of Alford & Montgarrie Bridge) that my dad said were considered strategic targets during exercises back in his FAA days. Used to love watching the Jags and Buccs tearing about at, ahem, 100' convinced that one day I'd be doing the same. Dare ay some of the later Tornado crews were of the same mind. Walking the dog one afternoon up round Wellhouse I watched a Tornado fly below us along the South n North road between Muir of Fowlis & Alford, maybe no more than 30' off the deck, then pull up hard to clear the Suie/Bennachie hill range. Happy days.

Funny to think you were one of my idols back then as I admired your flying skills Steve and now I find myself admiring your modelling skills here.

Sorry Rob, thread drift disengaged.

What you guys talking about thread drift.. I love your stories it's fantastic for me and others to read I am of the mindset that these stories are related to the build as its the life of what I am

Building and makes it more than just some plastic.

Anyone who flys Jags is a hero of mine too.

I wish I had see them fly were you have.

My memories of them are flying down lake Windermere when fishing with my dad. There was also buccs, phantoms, tornados, hawks

(No wonder we only caught 1 fish) that was in the late 80s

I also remember them in the early to mid 90s flying low over my house in Kidderminster and over our school playground.

Now the only thing that flys over are the odd Cessna or microlight.

Though last year we had the bbmf Dakota over once which was amazing.

Cheers Rob please carry on guys ;)

• Like 1

I did start messing around with the a .70 steel drill from Alan Gibson Workshop but then realized this was stopping the fun and with all these stories of low flying jags I decided to slap the wheel covers on her and make her fly.

There are plenty of the real ones with the wheels down at Cosford and I miss seeing them fly. The Jaguar has always been a firm favorite of mine and man do I miss them.

null_zpsdcc63d14.jpg

null_zps419ec4e7.jpg

So I decided to dip the canopy in Klear and a Matchbox Harrier GR3 canopy I have my eyes on doing for this GB too. This is the canopy before dipping.

null_zps30b8ecb1.jpg

null_zps0d5abd77.jpg

null_zps1d1a2f12.jpg

null_zps7053e80e.jpg

null_zps5e40860f.jpg

I will paint the pilot while these dry..

Another old kit I have that is really shouting "BUILD ME" is this Plasticart Comet 4, Its complete with a little damage to one wing but only minor. The decals are a little damaged but I need some help with RAF guises as I really want to make it an RAF comet. But I am not sure what my options are for decals. Its about 1/100 scale.

null_zpsd09eebea.jpg

null_zpsba9931ea.jpg

null_zps7d1e1460.jpg

null_zps42bb7ff6.jpg

It would be nice to enter this for the GB But I am not sure I would complete her in time.

Any advice with this one appreciated..

Back to Jaguars this must be the best film ever made....

Cheers Rob :analintruder:

• Like 3

Right It time I went out to webs and got some Matt varnish and other goodies (And see the mrs too.... :whistle: )

In the mean time tiny dude's wash can dry.

The cock pit has no detail what so ever except a seat so its just staying matt black.

null_zpsbdaa993a.jpg

null_zps7adf9125.jpg

Cheers Rob :blink:

Hi Enzo yep looks that way. She looks pretty clean and nice that way too.

The canopy is now on after the Klear and the dude inside now I can mask it off. Then tidy around it and shes nearing the paint stage yay :)