1/48 Skunkmodels HH-60H

Boy, sounds like you had a battle in your hands with these decals. I would have never though they were that problematic. The first pic in your recent post that US flag decal is stiff like a cardboard...wow, that's not cool at all. I hope Authentic Decal officials are seeing your photos and solve that problem with their product. Thet have some cool decals but if this is the case with their decals...I'm out. I'm not going to buy anything of theirs anytime soon.

Anyway, glad to see you were able to salvage the decal mess...thanks to future this helo is saved :D

Mike

Thanks Guys,

Another small update.

R/H complete with blades but I've just realised I've omitted the colour coding bands. I'll go back & correct that.

13396360205_d11ee23c0e_z.jpg

Some light leading edge weathering. I masked the leading edge & hit them with Tamiya AS-12 straight from the can. I then sprayed the sand colour over the top. With a 1200 sanding sponge I brushed over the leading edge to reveal some of the AS-12.

13396495113_00962e930d_c.jpg

I've kept the weathering light in this area. What I have done doesn't really show well in these pics

13396721654_085eeb667f_z.jpg

I've also started painting & detailing the Armycast miniguns & their mounts.

13371630405_3ca5894403_z.jpg

With the airframe almost complete my attention turns to the small antennae & aerials. I pondered over how to correctly recreate the posts supporting this one. Getting them to scale & remain structurally viable was the challenge. I'm assuming where the line changes direction it runs through a spring loaded tension device. I want to replicate those rather than just drill a hole through the top of the posts & run my line through that.

13396698065_6598c5308d_z.jpg

I can smell the finish line.

Cheers

J.

Hi J. Just found your build thread, it's looking rather tasty I do like the cabin and MRH detail. The camo patern masks worked very well, I must give that a try.

Colin

• Like 1

This looks fantastic sir! I have a couple of questions for you -

Was Authentic Decals able to send you a new sheet? I was looking at these decals for my build too but I am a little scared now.

Who makes that rotor head? I may have missed it if you said it in the thread somewhere.

Where did you order Armycast's Minigun set?

-Anthony

Thanks Anthony,

There was a bit of a language barrier & I think things got lost in translation as I did get a SH-60 decal sheet just the wrong one. I'm just happy he answered my emails promptly & at least tried. Apparently the printer people they used at the time applied the varnish to thick. They have changed their printers now, it was explained, I'm not sure whether they've had new stock printed of this sheet.

The rotor head was sourced via Cobra Company's' HH-60H conversion set, it's a pity as I don't think Chris markets it separately. While it's not completely accurate it is a vast improvement over the kit part.

I purchased the mini gun set straight from Armycast themselves, can't fault the service. I think UMMUSA are stockists also.

Cheers,

J

Hi Again,

Thanks for the aerial post suggestions guys, brass wasn't something I had considered. I needed to drill some very small holes & wasn't sure my micro drills would hold up against brass. I went with styrene card in the end

I cut the basic shape out, inserted a pin in the base & sanded them to a aerodynamic profile. To create the x2 spring tensioners I turned to the stretched 'Q' tip technique from the main RH detailing.

I cut to small lengths & inserted fine wire into each. At one end looped the wire back on itself & threaded it back out the way it came & cut off one of the two excess wires exiting. I pushed the 'Q' tip tube as close to the loop as I dared to get the loop as small as possible, this is the end the line will be threaded through. The remaining length of wire pertruding from the opposite end was cut to length & formed into a hook, this is the end that will be fed through a hole at the top of each aerial post.

Spring tensioner & post as described.

13441564603_867b13eec7_z.jpg

Aaahhhhh the beauty of magnification ;). I have glued a length of 'Q' tip to the top of the other x3 posts & the line will run through that.

13372601254_53f216bc1e_z.jpg

Test fitting & I'm not liking the look, they're over scale. I was afraid this would happen, more sanding to shape, they need to be as petite as possible.

You can make out the 'Q' tip tube atop some of the x3 posts with the line threaded through. The hemo is holding tension at this stage until I get it right then each post will get a smidge of cyno to hold everything in place.

I'm not happy with that dump pipe in front of the rear L/G either, I'll redo that as well.

13372597204_57d79671e7_z.jpg

Their seems to be a hundred little jobs still to complete but it won't be long now.

Thanks again for taking alook.

J.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm pretty much done. I've been working through a list of things-to-do & at this point all I need to do is set up a photo session for "ready for inspection" pics.

In the meantime here is what I've been up to. Some very obvious & others more about me being picky. I tell you, you don't realise how dusty stuff gets moving in & out of the display cabinet until you start taking close ups

Colour codes are on the main rotor. One of my fav pics of this area :)

14042040272_7896c14286_z.jpg

14042083702_6c11e0ba0f_z.jpg

Static discharge wires added to wolf pack folded tail plain, thanks to an old toothbrush.

14042325281_bdb282ab5a_z.jpg

14022252226_e6cc02ed5d_z.jpg

Aerial posts & wire done. Engine exhaust plug can be seen here. What you can't see is the HS-4 "4" squadron/aircraft number I decaled on them.

14042265121_0cfe41fa66_z.jpg

14045376995_a78cdd7b04_z.jpg

Scratched fuel dump pipe still needs a lick of paint.

14022107646_49894b8e17_z.jpg

My favourites, the mini gun with shell chute, wired up & ready for action. Why orange I hear you ask, with so much grey this was an oppurtunity to add some colour to draw the eye toward the detail. I do have a reference pic somewhere to back that colour choice.

14042189051_aa5aefce35_z.jpg

14022109196_7b6d6fc301_z.jpg

On the port side I went for the partially fitted look & a different colour for the chute. The wiring is draped over the mini gun to suggest the ground crew are yet to complete intallation. My subtle weathering is almost invisible in most of these pics but it is there.

14022151796_d54ca87b5b_z.jpg

All nose detail scratched including the mirrors & their bracket which as far as I can tell are unique to the HH-60H. F.O.D & RBF tags in place & I also scraped together some decals & placards to tart up the FLIR. Archer rivots can be seen here.

14045454585_943041d898_z.jpg

14042083362_250c1ac8d4_z.jpg

14065304603_13ee98ee71_z.jpg

.......and all the tie downs are fitted.

14065479263_2df602be28_z.jpg

Stay tuned for RFI pics.

It's been a total roller coaster but for me this is as goods as it gets. I've stretched all my skills, discovered some new ones & also conqured a few scary ones.

Thanks to all who took the time to have a look or comment, I enjoyed reading all of them. If you have more questions don't be afraid to ask

Cheers,

J

• Like 6

Good Lord J, your latest update is awesome. I love ever detail you have show. I like the toothbrush trick for SD...I'll have to remember that one myself. Btw, I completely understand about dust build-up even when it's under case. So, I do have a suggestion...lol..my glass case is old glass medical cabinet and I'd be happy to display it in it for ya!! ...:D just kidding!

Well, you should be proud of this bad boy...cause it sure is A Bad Boy!!

Mike

• Like 1

• 8 months later...