1/24 Typhoon vs. 1/48 Vulcan

blueliner

Great to see another of Hawker's storm birds kitted in this great scale, but I'll never buy one. My wife would have a fit.

I don't see Airfix selling a great number of them, I would think they would sell more 1/48 Vulcans.

Of course I'm biased, by scale, not by subject - I have 6 Hasegawa Typhoons.

Did they give an MSRP?

Would a 1/48th Vulcan sell in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile? I am not sure either way, as my personal view is that a Vulcan or the Typhhon would be risky. I hope Airfix do well with the Typhoon, even though it is not my scale as it will keep them producing new kits. A 48th Vulcan is a big beastie and I suspect would not be easy to engineer as a mass produced kit.

Would a 1/48th Vulcan sell in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile? I am not sure either way, as my personal view is that a Vulcan or the Typhhon would be risky. I hope Airfix do well with the Typhoon, even though it is not my scale as it will keep them producing new kits. A 48th Vulcan is a big beastie and I suspect would not be easy to engineer as a mass produced kit.

I'm with you on this one, I hope Airfix makes a bundle. Then we get more cool stuff like a beeg Vulcan. I need a new coffee table...LOL.

1/24 Typhoon v 1/48 Vulcan is a bit like asking if you would like to have an expensive car or several expensive holidays abroad. Both please?

What I do want to see is what Airfix appear to have just done, viz

A British manufacturer is producing a model of a British warplane famous in WW2 as one of the best ground attack aircraft of that conflict in a scale that no other manufacturer is likely to do and with a level of detail that appears from all that's been said to rival if not exceed the efforts of the competition from abroad and at a price which appears to be likely set at a level much lower than the opposition would produce.

Now as a British modeller I am having trouble seeing what's not to like. If our local football team just did the equivalent it would be like stuffing Real Madrid/ Barcelona away from home in the Champions League.

So go on Airfix - do it again lads - and yes a 1/48 Vulcan would fill a slot too - but after you mould the 1/48 HP Victor please as its a much nicer looking plane not to mention a more capable aircraft (now ducks for cover before the Vulcan boys arrive :fight: )

• Like 2

Absolutely. Compared to something like a Typhoon which had one user and exactly one color scheme applicable to it and saw no post-war use? Absolutely, positively.

The Vulcan only had one user and 4/5(?) schemes so it's not that much better if you look at it like that....

• Like 3

Absolutely. Compared to something like a Typhoon which had one user and exactly one color scheme applicable to it and saw no post-war use? Absolutely, positively.

Not quite. It saw quite extensive immediate post war use - and these late 1945 schemes provide some very nice splashes of colour.

And if you count the Night fighter prototype, and desert filter trials machines, it had 3 colour schemes.

I'm sure a 1/48th Vulcan would also sell well, but Airfix have decided on a 1/24th Typhoon. The release will time for the 70th anniversary of D-day, which Im sure will help sales too.

jonners

• Like 1

Really? I can think of 3. OK only 3 aircraft were painted in the desert scheme but it's still options.

typhoon_desert.jpg

typhoon_early.jpg

typhoon_el-x.jpg

• Like 2

"But apart from that, what have the Romans done for us.....?"

Regardless of potential colour schemes, I would foresee exactly the same 'arguments' being put forward if Airfix released a 1/48 Vulcan - "Not my scale; not my subject; too expensive; far too big."

I hope and trust that Airfix - as a BUSINESS - have done their homework and produced what THEY feel will sell. While a small number may clamour for a 1/48 Vulcan, would it sell any better than the Nimrod that 'everyone' was clamouring for? Than the 1/48 TSR.2 the 'everyone' was clamouring for?

• Like 2

I would think Airfix will sell many more of the 1/24 Typhoon than they ever would a 1/48 Vulcan, the storage space needed for the Vulcan for a start would favour the Typhoon. Lets face it , the people at Airfix are no fools and will have done their homework well before committing to this model. Why do you think they put out all those suggestion forms at the shows they attend ?.

I think we as modellers are much too insular and blinkered in our views , we all think that if we want a 1/48 Farly Fruitbat Mk II , then everyone else will be bound to want one also, I'm afraid not chaps. I think this Typhoon model will be a winner for Airfix , and having seen it in the flesh at Telford I'm certainly getting one although it isn't in my preferred scale.

The only think I would find wrong with it , is why did they release a 1/24 Typhoon and not a 1/48 Brigand , or is this just another deluded ,blinkered modeller dreaming.

Andrew

• Like 2

Wherever there is this much hype surrounding a new kit announcement, there's bound to be plenty of disappointment with the result. Name a kit that doesn't only appeal to a niche audience (albeit some larger than others). The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but as many have said it looks like it's going to be a cracking kit. I don't suppose there can be many dedicated 1/24 aircraft kit builders out there (although that might be one way to keep your stash size down), so most people who buy this will be breaking 'their' scale in one way or another. Let's hope plenty of people do, I may even be one of them!

Andrew

• Like 1

Wherever there is this much hype surrounding a new kit announcement, there's bound to be plenty of disappointment with the result. Name a kit that doesn't only appeal to a niche audience (albeit some larger than others). The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but as many have said it looks like it's going to be a cracking kit. I don't suppose there can be many dedicated 1/24 aircraft kit builders out there (although that might be one way to keep your stash size down), so most people who buy this will be breaking 'their' scale in one way or another. Let's hope plenty of people do, I may even be one of them!

Andrew

Too true. I might buy one even though it's a lot bigger than I usually build.

I know I shall be helping Airfix by buying at least two of these beauties. I am working on the 1/24 Mosquito right now and other than the zillion injection marks to fill, it is a delight to build and the fit is marvelous. So I will do my utmost to support Airfix so they can possibly do that non-propeller thingy that everyone seems so fond of in this thread.

• Like 1

I know I shall be helping Airfix by buying at least two of these beauties. I am working on the 1/24 Mosquito right now and other than the zillion injection marks to fill, it is a delight to build and the fit is marvelous. So I will do my utmost to support Airfix so they can possibly do that non-propeller thingy that everyone seems so fond of in this thread.

Two? I would save some room incase they do a Tempest as well! ;)

Edited by Tbolt

Two? I would save some room incase they do a Tempest as well! ;)

Good point, must make more shelves in the office as that is where I hide the rather large purchases and models. Two of each perhaps? Of course, if I was talented, I would take the wings of a 1/24 airfix mustang, extend the tail . . . etc. and scratch out my own tempest. Just not quite that talented.