Revell 1/72 Sopwith Camel +++ FINISHED +++

CliffB

Evening all. I've been away from BM (and indeed model making), for the best part of 6 months, but a trip to SMW over the weekend has restored my mojo!

What better way back in, that a BM GB?

So here's my entry please.....

P1080757_zps54b53c0f.jpg

It will be a simple build, pretty much OOB but with a custom paint job and a bit of rigging.

Some progress to report soon (I hope).

Cliff

Good luck Cliff!

Your name confused me for a bit - I used to work with a Cliffy B once (in computer games, many moons back)!

Pete

Nice one, Cliff. :welcome:

The Revell kit dates from 1963!!! It has been replaced by kits from Esci (1983), Academy (1986) and Roden (dunno exactly when, but it's only a few years ago).

In fact, the Esci kit is also eligible for this GB! :lol:

Thanks Pete and Enzo :)

Some progress tonight.

Cockpit detail is non-existent, but rather than doing my usual thing of adding detail, I thought that I do what I haven't done since I was a lad and use the kit's pilot figure!

Here he is stuck on some sprue to help painting (the hole in his hip is for the mounting pin - ouch), and you can also see a slight repair I had to do to one side, where the cockpit opening had been poorly moulded and was too deep.

P1080759_zps04cf58c7.jpg

In line with my quick build OOB philosophy for this build, I've abandoned any oil paint enhanced wood effects. Just slapped on some wood coloured (apparently) paint , and all-over red-brown for the pilot's leathers. Both coated with satin varnish for the necessary sheen.

P1080760_zpsdfc185af.jpg

Fuselage halves now stuck together and balanced on the lower wing with engine. The fit of the two fuselage halves is poor - there's a big step between them underneath, but should be easy to fix with a sanding stick.

P1080761_zps6f2d2ef5.jpg

Can't work out now why my previous models have always taken so long to build? ;)

This is much more fun!

Cliff

• Like 1

It was all going so well this evening......

Wings on and finally sorted out the underside (turned out to be a bit more than just sanding after all). Also added a small bulkhead to stop see-through from the cockpit.

P1080762---Copy_zpsf12b992e.jpg

Engine on and tail plane added.

P1080763---Copy_zpsf2586d6c.jpg

All looks good until you notice this!

P1080764_zpsbd6e7a82.jpg

The bottom of the rudder and the bottom of the fuselage should match up.

I have a set of plans and these confirm that the fuselage is too blame - it's way too shallow. It's OK (ish) at the cockpit, but then narrows down much too quickly towards the tail.

Next job then, is to build up the underside of the fuselage with some more laminates of plastic card. Not too difficult, but I wish I hadn't just spent ages getting it lovely and smooth as it is :banghead:

Glad it's only Skill Level 2!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Hi Cliff its great to see you back and with such a nice subject too. I will watch this with interest as I bought the kit last year and still have not made it. I guess I am a little scared by bi-planes...

Good luck and look forward to your updates. Cheers Rob

Thanks Andy, Rob and Col :)

I must admit that I was surprised by the fuselage/rudder mismatch myself - so much so that I began to think that I'd caused it by over-zealous sanding. The sprue shot photo suggests that I'm innocent though :innocent: .

Things are looking much better now.

P1080765_zps028c8528.jpg

In fact all parts are now prepared and, following a quick wash and dry, ready for priming.

P1080767_zpsea287554.jpg

The undercarriage, prop and guns are not stuck on yet, while the paint tin shows just how small and simple this kit is in 1/72.

Despite it's age and shortcomings, the kit does have some plus points, especially the beautifully thin flying surfaces and the separate 'hub caps', which should make painting a doddle.

I'll be back when things start to look a bit more colourful.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

but a trip to SMW over the weekend has restored my mojo!

Cliff

I know the feeling Cliff.

SMW is very tempting not to only restart your hobby but also to buy loads of kits!!!

Your "Sop" looks good so far. Can't wait to see it painted though!!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks again Rob and Shalako.

Well I promised you some colour, so here are a few fairly boring ones for starters:

1) Grey

P1080769_zpsba2688cd.jpg

2) Linen

P1080770_zpsa181056d.jpg

3) Dark Green

P1080771_zps32db36b6.jpg

4) White

P1080772_zps425f9515.jpg

Some more, slighting more exciting colours to follow...... :coolio:

Thanks for watching

Cliff

• Like 1

Bit of a love/hate relationship between me and painting I'm afraid Rob. Always start off full of enthusiasm, but usually part way through something goes awry and I than embark on an impatient spiral of botched repairs that usually make things worse!

So far, so good however on the Camel's paint.

I'm leaving the white to harden off fully overnight, as it's going to have to put up with some serious masking tomorrow.

In the meantime I'd thought I'd have a go at the prop and struts.

Here's the prop in Hu 63 as a base coat.

P1080774_zps8e46d815.jpg

And here it is 5 minutes later after a top coat of Burnt Sienna oil paint (thinned with Liquin), and the central boss picked out with gunmetal enamel paint.

P1080775_zpsdbaa615d.jpg

Magic! Time to stop for today I think, before I'm tempted to fiddle with it a bit more!!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Very nice Cliff and I have never seen anyone using oil paints before its nice to pick up a new method. I though oils take months to dry.

I would like to know more about the methods of using oils with modelling. If you can point me in the right direction that would be great.

You sure seem to be doing very nicely with the old painting on this one Cliff. Cheers Rob ;)

Very nice Cliff and I have never seen anyone using oil paints before its nice to pick up a new method. I though oils take months to dry.

I would like to know more about the methods of using oils with modelling. If you can point me in the right direction that would be great.

You sure seem to be doing very nicely with the old painting on this one Cliff. Cheers Rob ;)

Morning Rob. I'm no expert on the use of oil paints, I just use them for wood effects and pin washes. You'll need to speak to the figure painters for some real advice. The prop dried in a couple of minutes because the oil paints were well diluted and brushed out. If you want a more grainy effect though you need to streak much thicker coats and these can take a couple of days to dry.

P1070165.jpg

Give me a shout when you next need to paint some wood effects....

Looking good Cliff, not to mention colourful....What's afoot, I wonder? :hmmm:

Thanks Sgt.S. I think the answer's 12 inches isn't it? :winkgrin:

Cheers

Cliff

I cant think when I will next need to paint bear wood..

Sounds like a cue to start your Camel Rob!

Cliff,

Nice to see you back on Britmodeller. And what a great progress in such a short time.

I love the whay the model is looking now. :goodjob:

Cheers,

Thanks Arnold, it's nice to be back.

I have a day off tomorrow, so hoping to get the last two colours on and the masking off - fingers crossed.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

The camel will be next year me thinks :pipe:

Not too long to wait then Rob.... :popcorn:

As I'd hoped, I managed to get the final two colours on today:

7) Black

P1080778_zps22d6f269.jpg

and finally 8) Red

P1080779_zps46dfdbd3.jpg

Not long now until the masking comes off.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2