Airfix 1/24 hawker Typhoon

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#141 zaxos345

zaxos345

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

Guys, does anyone knows the real dimensions of this beauty? to see how big she is?

John

#142 avro683

avro683

Heracleum Mantegazziani!

• Members
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

Guys, does anyone knows the real dimensions of this beauty? to see how big she is?

John

16" long, 21" span approx.

#143 MilneBay

MilneBay

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:07 AM

I haven't the room for one but a brilliant choice by Airfix.

#144 MAD STEVE

MAD STEVE

Woohoo, I got a banner...

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:47 AM

Hiya guys

I think the point everyone is missing here is that Airfix is putting itself back into the market the, as it was trying to do 15 years ago.

Airfix has always been synonymous with Plastic kits, regardless of what the kits actually is, 'oh you're building an Airfix?'

Yes, to you and me, some of the releases over the last couple years, may not make sense, like the 48th Scale armour,(I think the chaps at airfix know that they cannot compete against japan in this scale, but in 48th, hell yes)and the ressurection of the 24th scale aircraft etc.

From the kits that they are re producing, its quite obvious that it will not take very long before airfix is back up at the top, competing with the big guns.

Yes, japanese kits are better, finer etc, whatever you want to say, but the amount of money thrown at them, to get them out, is probably far greater.

My own personal opinion, is that, in the modelling world, Airfix is an entity unto its self. They are now producing British subjects, old and new, and its the place to go when you want that specifc item, and that includes the 1/24th scale aircraft.

For what Airfix have done over the last few years, they should be commended. Fine, so 1/24th scale isnt your scale, and 1/48th scale armour looks daft in your display cabinet next to your 1/35th scale.

From a dedicated non aircraft builder, I would, and plan too, buy the Typhoon, because the detail looks amazing. Dont care if its too big, ill find somewhere to put it.

steve

Edited by MAD STEVE, 10 November 2013 - 06:49 AM.

• Julien, Kit builder, Sten Ekedahl and 3 others like this

#145 zaxos345

zaxos345

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

16" long, 21" span approx.

Man!! thats big!!! I dont have a shelf for that. If only they reproduce it in 1/32 scale!!!!

#146 Black Knight

Black Knight

slightly eccentric

• Gold Member
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:04 AM

Just as the 1/24th Spitfire hit the oppostion off kilter 42 years ago so this Typhoon must be doing today. It shows great faith in the future of the hobby by the owners of Airfix. The investment in this kit will be recouped over many years, so it shows that Hornby plan to be around to get that investment back.

And still they plan to give us more small kits next year.

I feel like a 10-12 year old again when every week or so there was a new Airfix model in the shops to part me from my hard earned pocket money.

• Kit builder, woody37, perdu and 1 other like this

#147 Shane

Shane

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Airfix are deliberately shooting themselves in the foot?

The farce with the Mosquito shows 1/24 is just to darn big. 1/32 and they'd sell shiploads, here and in the States. One production run and then into the remaindered bins for the rest.

Either way, zero interest co-efficient here. Just can't understand their logic.

W

Probably a few others, but IMO you're in the minority. Of course, Airfix could do one in 1/32 to go with all the other 1/32 kits they ever released. Now, what were they......?

Mossie must have been a disaster too. Haven't seen one on the shelf for over a year, so I suspect they withdrew the unsold ones and scrapped them.

Shane

• ekonbor likes this

#148 Black Knight

Black Knight

slightly eccentric

• Gold Member
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

I never saw any of the Mossies reduced to prices the Spitfire Vb gift set went down to, ie £15. Now the Mossies are getting about 50% above their list price when they were freely available.

Sometimes a company will do a special as a flagship, and let the rest of the ordinary stuff subsidise it. Airfix raised the bar with the Mossie. They've just done it again.

I'd rather spend £90 on this Typhoon, than on Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire. Thats just me, the way I am. I will find room for it....somewhere, :frantic:

• DaveCromie likes this

#149 is it windy yet?

is it windy yet?

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

I've remembered what they said scheme D was going to be: Pulveriser IV, a RCAF bombphoon.

Thank goodness, that's one of the ones I wanted to do. I hope cartagraf does the decals.

The kits looks outstanding, I'm beyond words really.

I'll be getting two and maybe three of these kits. Yeah it's big, yeah it's 1:24th scale. I love the subject, and can live with the scale. I'm sure that if it was 1:32 then they may sell more kits. But I'm also sure that they will sell enough to make a buck on the tooling costs. As for the loving or bashing of airfix it goes both ways. Some won't like this kit because airfix produced it, and others defend anything airfix puts in a box. This kit looks amazing almost too good to be true. I mean detail beyond expectations gun bays, engine, cockpit, optional(differing) parts. This sets the bar very high. I am not pro or anti airfix. This kit is King. But let's be honest the 1:24 mosquito really was underwhelming for the scale.

#150 Albeback52

Albeback52

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

Yeti and Wolfpack I suggest you take up another hobby! 

Cool it man!!

:D

Allan

Edited by Albeback52, 10 November 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#151 Max Headroom

Max Headroom

Have you seen my mojo?

• Gold Member
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Now to start saving; 28 weeks at £3 p/w should just about get me enough.

Put like that, it's cheap!

Trevor
  • Kit builder likes this

#152 Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix

Format? I have no format. I am a renegade, lost on the Net.

• Members
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

DSC_9219.jpg

DSC_9221.jpg

That's not just modelling. If it all worked, that would be model engineering! I would be very tempted to build and display the kit like this. Painted up, that will be utterly stunning.

Edited by Enzo Matrix, 10 November 2013 - 09:30 AM.

• stevehnz and perdu like this

#153 Wez

Wez

I could be wrong... ...I could be right!

• Members
  • 2,339 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Ben M - thanks for posting those photo's - any semblance of willpower I may have been putting up to resist this kit have just crumbled to dust!  I will be getting one, it looks a real tour-de-force for Airfix, well done to them.

For those who don't like the subject matter, you never know, your time may come, who'd've thought we'd have a mainstream injection moulded 1/24th Hawker Typhoon?  So you never know, we may well see a 1/24th scale kit of the one and only prototype Farley Throdjdiblet that only you and your pet cat Simon want - you might have to wait a hundred years or so but you never know.

As for those questioning Airfix's choice of scale, they don't do 1/32nd, they do 1/24th - get over it!  As for questioning the economics of it all, Airfix and it's parent company (but particularly Airfix), have been through hell and high water economically and come out the other side, I think if they thought this was a risk they wouldn't take it.

For those who say "It's not my scale", I've never understood this mentality but it's your hobby and your prerogative, I can't help but think by taking this stance you miss out on some beautiful kits.  I know one argument is that it wouldn't look right displayed next kits of a different scale to which I say don't display it next to kits of a different scale, my view is that it could be the centre piece of a display - the general public would be able to tell the model was in a different scale you know, they know there isn't a giant WW.II Fighter-Bomber out there that dwarfs a Boeing 747!

I do understand the space argument to an extent, which means I'll be looking at where I can display it once I finally build it, I 'm thinking I need to order another filing cabinet at work that I can place side-by-side with my current one, that should provide enough space!  With all that detail available I'd love to do a maintenance scene so hopefully someone can produce some 1/24th scale groundcrew (Three cheers for the Man on the Ground)!  However, I'd like to point out to those that say it's too big, a 1/72nd VC10 which some wanted for instance would have a span of over 24" and a length of over 25" which represents a much bigger footprint than this!  Would they be complaining that was too big?  Likewise many other 1/72nd aircraft subjects have a much bigger footprint, not to mention many 1/48th scale kits.

The box art is brilliant and captures the excitement and danger of the times and will attract the casual buyer.

Most of all, Airfix have got us talking all about them and their products again so they must be doing something right.

Wez

Edited by Wez, 10 November 2013 - 04:43 PM.

• Bill Clark and Caution Wake Turbulence like this

#154 Albeback52

Albeback52

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

I am in, but what SWMBO will say?

Looking at the pics , I would say OOOOOOOoooooooo.

Look at that one my dear.

Not sure about her reply, probably not repeatable here!!!

:lol:

Just ignore her mate!! It's YOUR money!! I used 3 different tactics with my (now) ex!

1) Remind her of what SHE spent on her latest handbag/pair of shoes/other female accessories

2) Comment on what she is intending to spend on a new outfit after she opens the wardrobe door, looks at the vast array of clothes therein and wails  " I've NOTHING to wear"

3) Ask her exactly HOW many  ( see 1 above ) she  "needs" :wicked:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52, 10 November 2013 - 09:03 AM.

• Sten Ekedahl likes this

#155 dambuster

dambuster

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

Considering Airfix have gone from research, CAD,having test tooling and what looks like production tooling cut,box art designed a couple of show kits built all in secret they should work for British intelligence they seem to have watertight security. Even a lost tape measure had a cover story they dont seem to ever lose laptops on trains do they?

Ah yes but if anyone from Airfix did mention 'Typhoon' then the ready made cover story was the fact that they were doing a new one in 1/72. I think that they were being very, very smart. Who knows, maybe the idea for the 1/24 model came first so the 1/72 'update' was done as a cover...... just in case someone let the subject slip.

Thinking of 2015 onwards, what else might they announce or have announced that could act as a cover for a really ground-breaking model?

Peter

#156 Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix

• Members
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

The investment in this kit will be recouped over many years, so it shows that Hornby plan to be around to get that investment back.

As for questioning the economics of it all, Airfix and it's parent company (but particularly Airfix), have been through hell and high water economically and come out the other side, I think if they thought this was a risk they wouldn't take it.

Are Airfix really planning on recouping that investment over many years? My experience of "bean counters" in the current financial climate is that they deliberately don't plan very far ahead. If it takes a year to recoup some capital expenditure, then you're in with a good chance. Two years? wellll.... maybe. Three or more years? You don't have a catinell's chance.

Given the comment amde earlier in this thread about tooling costs being less than most people think, maybe this Typhoon isn't such a long-term prospect after all. And lets face it, if this project didn't have the chance of making a profit, there's no way the financial people at Airfix would have let it get off the ground.

It might be interesting to find out about the backgrounds of the financial people at Airfix. I would say it is very important for the researchers and designers to be modelling enthusiasts. Marketing people tend to be naturally enthusiastic about almost everything.

But it should be a bit different for the financial people. It's important for them not to be modellers. They should be focused on making money. The decision to go ahead with any capex has to be a hard-headed purely financial decision. Sure, it can be influenced by the enthusiasts but the financial team cannot allow themselves to be carried away on that wave of enthusiasm.

I agree with Wez in that Airfix has been through a very bad time in the last decade. I think they know exact;y what they are doing. And if they are selling this kit for around 80 quid, I think they'll have problems keeping up with demand.
  • woody37 likes this

#157 Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix

• Members
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thinking of 2015 onwards, what else might they announce or have announced that could act as a cover for a really ground-breaking model?

1/24 Lightning F.2A... :lol:

#158 Airgunner

Airgunner

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

1/24 Lightning F.2A... :lol:

That very same thought crossed my mind. Hell, yeah!

#159 GordonD

GordonD

All-round great guy

• Gold Member
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Given that I have in my stash (amongst a lot of other stuff) the following:

1/24 Mosquito

1/24 Sea Harrier

1/24 Stuka (nearly complete - i.e. wings not yet attached)

1/32 Heinkel 111

1/48 Lancaster

1/144 International Space Station

...all of which would take up a humungous amount of space, it would be utter insanity for me to buy the Typhoon.

So yes, I'll probably get one.

• Sten Ekedahl, Enzo Matrix, JohnT and 4 others like this

#160 Caution Wake Turbulence

Caution Wake Turbulence

The suspense is killing me

• Gold Member
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Personally, I'd sooner buy a Typhoon in 1/24 than 1/72, but I'm a bit weird like that. I am a little bit tempted to get one of these, but more because of it's size and detail than its subject matter...

Andrew

• andy wood likes this