Airfix 1/24 hawker Typhoon

Algie75

Thanks for the hi-res photos Steve. Other things I've remembered from my chat with Sam: it took him 10 months to design it (not too very long at all, for just one person, if you ask me); it has 506 parts; and he gave a lot of credit to Chris Thomas for his research, information and feedback provided.

Thanks for that Ben. I understand that Chris Thomas, being a recognised authority on the Typhoon, was indeed very closely associated with the production of the model.

I can remember as a small child, running to the shop on the green, with my pocket money in hand to exchange for a bagged Airfix kit from a revolving display stand each Friday. I could never have imagined a resurgent Airfix producing such an amazing model.

Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Take it easy.

Steve

Edited by Dances With Wolves

I can remember as a small child, running to the shop on the green, with my pocket money in hand to exchange for a bagged Airfix kit from a revolving display stand each Friday. I could never have imagined a resurgent Airfix producing such an amazing model.

Steve,

Me too.

Many thanks for those excellent pics, they are much appreciated.

Happy days indeed.

Who knows, the day may not be far off when we get a new Spitfire done like that.

Steve,

Me too.

Many thanks for those excellent pics, they are much appreciated.

Happy days indeed.

Who knows, the day may not be far off when we get a new Spitfire done like that.

I confess, some of the photos I've posted are perhaps slightly repetitious from those lodged by earlier contributors so I figured there was no harm in simply keeping the pot boiling…lol.

I'm certainly with you on the Spitfire and I'm hoping that before I'm called home by my Maker, an even better quality new tool B of B Mk 1 will cross my modelling bench :-)

Take it easy

Steve

Edited by Dances With Wolves

After seeing the high res pics posted by Steve I have to say Yessssssssss,

The detail there is incredible and its hopefull going to be priced at a sensible level as well.

Incredible indeed. As I am reportedly responsible for one more sale, I'm forwarding a copy of your post to Airfix for a discount on mine lol.

The £80-£90 bracket was clearly repeated to others, besides me, so hopefully that will be the level. Not too long to go before we find out for sure it seems.

Best regards

Steve

I've posted this in the Rumourmonger Section, but thought I'd add it here too.....

Looking great...and I shall be treating myself to one.........

I'm not that au fait with WW2 types nowadays, but a quick glance through the photos I do have - mainly Warpaint No 5 don't show the raised strip along the fuselage, running from just below the cockpit to the tail plane strengthening plates. What is that?

Bill, the angle of the light in this photo is exaggerating the effect for certain. The Typhoon (and Tempest) rear fuselage skin panels were lap jointed so there was a distinct 'step' of the thickness of the skin at each panel joint all the way down the rear fuse. This is the effect you can see, magnified by the shadow it's casting.

I have to say, having seen the model in the flesh today, it is absolutely stunning and the first time I've seen the lap jointing represented correctly. I was also impressed that the famous strengthening fishplates were very well represented too - not the overly thick lumps we usually see!

Also, keep your eyes peeled for a new Typhoon book published by Dalrymple & Verdun next year! ;)

Mark

Thanks for the hi-res photos Steve. Other things I've remembered from my chat with Sam: it took him 10 months to design it (not too very long at all, for just one person, if you ask me); it has 506 parts; and he gave a lot of credit to Chris Thomas for his research, information and feedback provided.

I hope Revell learn from this research approach at Airfix, whilst they've filled some important gaps in recent years, they've certainly got some areas for improvement, for example, the Halifax that could of been amazing.

• Like 2

24ish hours after The Announcement and we're 11 pages in and it isn't even due until D Day. I predict some here will have burst a blood vessel with excitement by then.

Whether you buy one or not isn't relevant it's showing that Airfix are still one of the big boys.

Trevor

• Like 2

well having just got home from Telford, and having seen this model in the flesh....now you know I'm a Typhoon fan.....

This model is possible one of THE FINEST I have ever seen. A LOT of thought has gone into it, and it shows, big time. The oil canning on the panel lines is very subtly done, and this is probably the the first Typhoon kit to give you things like the the underwing fuel tanks, mk 3 lightweight RP rails, the under fuselage "tropical" air filter, a choice of tailplanes in the box.

It really is stunningly gorgeous, and its not my scale, but i will have one for sure. Christ they are even doing the 245 Sq sharkmouth as a decal option.

If a kit of this quality had been shown on the Tamiya stand, people would have said that Tamiya just raised the bar. Well it didnt.

It appeared on Airfix's, and Airfix has just raised the bar.

Well done lads.

Jonners, very very impressed

And if Jonners says it's good, then we know it's *good*. This means I shall have to get one... better start saving then.

I am beyond impressed with what I see of this. The Typhoon has been a longtime sentimental favourite of mine & I would love one of these kits. I'd probably never build it being a 1/72 modeller, but it would be nice to take it out ocassionally & fondle it. ;):D

Steve.

• Like 1

Great release.I love the bigger scales, and tremendous to see Airfix are the ones causing a few surprises out there in the market. I just want to make up that Napier Sabre if nothing else.

Regarding the business case, I'd like to think the Airfix team are actually Engineers - in which case they should have both technical AND financial bases more than covered (speaking as a chartered Mechanical Engineer).

• Like 1

Bear in mind we've seen a 1/24 kit and a 1/72 kit in a range of boxings, so I would imagine we will see one in 1/48 in a couple of years time - so that's three sets of kits for one lot of research and cad. I'd say Airfix are being very prudent and sensible with their finances. If this is anything to go by we may well see some supersizing and shrinking of some other recent kits for 2014 e.g Gnat, Sea Vixen.

• Like 1

So the rumor about the new 1:24 Airfix kit beeing a jet was quite wrong :-)

Bear in mind we've seen a 1/24 kit and a 1/72 kit in a range of boxings, so I would imagine we will see one in 1/48 in a couple of years time - so that's three sets of kits for one lot of research and cad. I'd say Airfix are being very prudent and sensible with their finances. If this is anything to go by we may well see some supersizing and shrinking of some other recent kits for 2014 e.g Gnat, Sea Vixen.

Typhoon and Gnat in 1-48 please!

I'm just looking at the sprue shots and wondering if it would be possible to leave one of the upper wings loose so it could be removed to display all that gorgeous internal detail.

During their lecture on Saturday, Airfix stated that re-scaling CAD work is not as straight-forward one might expect. All wall thicknesses have to be changed, all detail parts re-designed, and surface detail too.

On Sunday I visited RAF Cosford for their open day. Besides the obvious interest of the Dornier 17, the Typhoon ex Hendon was there too, having some corrections and improvements made: for example I believe the spinner had been from a Hastings.

Restored, it will do a 'tour' of Canada. Alongside it was a build up of the Airfix kit, which will no doubt accompany it.

Both are a fitting tribute to the many Canadian squadrons who operated it in Normandy and after.

• Like 2