Airfix 1/24 hawker Typhoon

Algie75

Another thought that managed to get itself heard in amongst all the Tiffylust - do Airifix have to make a profit on this kit? I know as a company they have to, but is this their Bugatti Veyron - a headline grabbing loss leader subsidised by the rest of the range that says to the world "This is now where the bar is" in terms of engineering and quality. They'll never sell as many of them as they will 1/72 Spitfires, but all the extra Spitfires they sell via brand association means they don't have to.

Whatever the reasoning, I still want one.

Ayup Foxbat..

With all the orgasms over the new Hurricane I've heard and seen in print over the last day or so, then the Hurricane sales are going to pay for it. Let alone the Spitfires.

• Like 1

The more I see of this the more impressed I am.

Yes, it is the wrong scale for me, but I imagine it as the centre piece if my display surrounded by 1/72 WW2 RAF models.

Yes, it has limited colour schemes, but then again I magine most will only buy one or two so what is the problem?

Is it too big? Of course it isn't. Looking back I used to have a couple of B-36's in my bedroom. Now that was big....

As for the price, well as a football fan it is tickets for me and the Mrs. for one game, or a film and a meal afterwards. Compare that with the hours of fun you will have building this beauty.

So Airfix, you introduced me to this wonderful hobby, and now you have given me new hope for the future. Thanks.

• Like 3

Oh no....does that mean if we keep the styrene cannons we will have to drill them out?

The slide technique is yet to visit the Airfix factory, but if it keeps the price down...Just pleased to be seeing the 1/24 Tiffie.

No it doesn't, it's your hobby and your model so do what you want to.

Look on the bright side at a price of £80-£90 adding on a set of AM barrels is hardly going to break the bank.

I imagine that we owe Mr. Chris Thomas, Mr. Bentley, Sam the designer and anyone else behind the scenes that we do not know about a huge thank you for this.

Thank you very much.

Indeed. :clap::clap: :clap:

Hi All,

Well I think it looks like it may be a terrific kit.

I disagree with the point of view that suggests it would have been better if it was a different subject or a different scale or price range. I see nothing wrong with a kit manufacturer having for want of a better description a "luxury model". If the product is what I would like and is something I can afford I'll get it. If the product isn't what I would like and or I cannot afford it I won't get it. Just because I am not interested in a product or can't afford it doesn't mean someone shouldn't make it if someone else might want one or can afford one.

Although I have no interest in 1/32nd scale B-17's or Spitfire XIX's or P-51's of any scale, I think it's terrific that HK Models released that big B-17 and Airfix released there Spitfire XIX while Tamiya made a big P-51 kit.

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 2

As for the price, well as a football fan it is tickets for me and the Mrs. for one game, or a film and a meal afterwards. Compare that with the hours of fun you will have building this beauty.

Now you are not suggesting that you would have more fun with an Airfix Tiffie than the Missus now? Careful she might be watching !! :fight: :D

seriously though I agree with your post

I made the 1/24 Spit, Hurricane and Me109 some 40+ years ago when they first came out but have bought nowt in this scale since and these days stick mainly to 1/35 AFVs. Given however that it's a Hawker Typhoon and the superb level of detail, this is a certain buy.

As to price, as a devotee of Accurate Armour kits, £80 - £90 seems a not unreasonable price if the quality of the kit when in production matches what appears in the photos .

I imagine that we owe Mr. Chris Thomas, Mr. Bentley, Sam the designer and anyone else behind the scenes that we do not know about a huge thank you for this.

Thank you very much.

If you like this kit then buy it if you don't then buy something you do like; would you go into a Land Rover dealership and moan at them for not building a 2 wheel drive 3 door hatch, no you'd just go to a Mini dealership ;)

I disagree with the point of view that suggests it would have been better if it was a different subject or a different scale or price range. I see nothing wrong with a kit manufacturer having for want of a better description a "luxury model". If the product is what I would like and is something I can afford I'll get it. If the product isn't what I would like and or I cannot afford it I won't get it. Just because I am not interested in a product or can't afford it doesn't mean someone shouldn't make it if someone else might want one or can afford one.

Well said you guys. A great design and ballsy product deserves respect, whether or not you personally benefit or contribute.

Al

• Like 1

ok here goes.......

no room for it. check

not really my subject . check

not really my scale. check .

will I buy one? yep down lhs at the weekend to pre order.

would I buy a tamiya or .zm kit in 32nd no price too high or too many gimmicks remember the .zm 152 is only plastic and retails far higher than this.

that said I have a 109 g and 2 Fw 190s in 32nd along with other large kits

I just will ensure that I: a clear the small stash I have of anything I don't want

b only buy this and the revell spit .mk 2 next year

if it's not for you then oh well...........

hooray to airfix for taking a gamble and producing this.

now if you'll excuse me I'm off to the planning office about my new extension

Edited by dazdot

Sean,

forgive me but that typhoon has to be built.

regardless of how it builds how easy it is or how the fit is

if you want to invest buy shares in twitter

I want to build this and I have built old out of production "rare" kits because I enjoy building them.

for everyone who has a huge stash as an investment , think . In years to come when these kits have been replaced by a new uber kit from the far east and the the kit maker has gone bust. what will your kit actually be worth?

if the mossie gets a repop in 2015 ebay prices will drop like a stone tamiya have done this with some of their 1/12 .gp cars and a Honda for 150 quId is now worth much less than the new issue.

build it enjoy it

• Like 2

re. Does anyone want to know how long this thread will be by June?

It will stop on the 18th of December - cause we will have a Tiger Moth, Beaufighter and Shackelton to all talk about...

I'm sure it will pick up yet again when June 2014 rolls along.

Cheers.. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

Hi

well i wonder if the AM guys will do a tornado conversion.

imagine a 1:24 vulture

that i would get an extra 1:24 typhoon for

cheers

jerry

Hi Jerry

not so simple, as this thread will show

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940153-hawker-tornado-landing-gear-doors/#entry1315704

Basically the wings are 3 inches lower, so new wing roots, new belly, new nose. Lot of work to be accurate, oh, the Tornado wings were the 12 gun type too.

I'm sure some enterprising type will do this though ;)

cheers

T

Sean,

forgive me but that typhoon has to be built.

regardless of how it builds how easy it is or how the fit is

if you want to invest buy shares in twitter

build it enjoy it

I totally agree with you... I have never bought plastic as an investment other than maybe an investement in my hobby buying some kits I know are for building years from now when I have more time... I was only joking about buying one just to sell on, but I'm sure some will be doing just that.

The lesson we all learn the hard way is not buying something when it is available and at a reasonable price...

The lesson we all learn the hard way is not buying something when it is available and at a reasonable price...

That's true. About seven years ago I bought a number of 1/72 Hasegawa Phantoms at about 15 quid each. Now look at the prices! :smartass: I won't put them on evilbay because I know as soon a I've got rid of them I'll want to bouild another Phantom! :D

I'm only sorry that I didn't do the same with the Revell Mig-21F. :wall: