Airfix 1/24 hawker Typhoon

Algie75

I was upset because of the inaccuracies posted, and i'm not an Airfix fan, i'm a modelling fan! my stash has kits from all manufacturers, if it's a good kit i'll buy it...

Fair enough... but form experience modellers come in all shapes and sizes and all views are often expressed but the hobby nees as many modellers as we can get even the nay sayers...

• Like 1

Well it's too big for me or is it, how bigs the revell 1/32 HE219 and how bigs the HK 1/32 B17 but people still buy them so I think Airfix know their market and wont shoot themselves in the foot.

I mainly do 1/48 but have recently purchased a couple of 1/32 Tamiyas and may well get this 1/24 Typhoon.

As they get bigger they get easier to see to build, that's my excuse sorted with the wife then.

What I'd like to see now is one of those Airfix books showing how to build and detail it.

They way they did with the Spitfire/Hurricane/P51 Mustang/Bf109E.

Now to start saving; 28 weeks at £3 p/w should just about get me enough.

• Like 1

The level of detail appears to be terrific and the quilting of the panel lines is a great new wrinkle (pun intended) - I'm trying to think of another kit that has that feature that is all to noticeable on riveted aircraft....

Amodel 1/72 Yak-3/VK-107A, Yak-9U. and Yak-9P:

http://modelism.airforce.ru/reviews/ru/yak-3_9-amodel/index.htm

Yes, that's 1/72, not 1/24!

John

Agreed but have a close look at a real Mossie close up if you can, and one thing will strike you, it's got a very smooth airframe, which is obvious in full size so when you scale it down it looks a little bland

so it takes a really "interesting" paint scheme to bring it to life.

Airfix did have a 24th scale version on the verge of being put into production in the mid '70s but for whatever reason it was canned, but the research gathered went into the 48th scale version that was

launched at that time, thw 24th scale kit that came out in 2009 bears absolutely link to the aborted kit from '70s

Yes, i know, balsa made wooden wonder. Smooth finish. In one MS in Prague is this gigantic Mossie still on stock, for retail price. It's probably don't a bestseller in Czech. (Naturally, many Mossies flying in post war Czechoslovakian Air Force in very nice silver "coat"-but 1/24 is really too big and IMHO model isn't good as year youngest Tamiya Spitfire in 1/32. But, when i see this excellent Typhoon with very complexed engine, this is a "another league".

What I'd like to see now is one of those Airfix books showing how to build and detail it.

They way they did with the Spitfire/Hurricane/P51 Mustang/Bf109E.

Now to start saving; 28 weeks at £3 p/w should just about get me enough.

Or £1.50 a week if you can wait twelve months and then order it from Hannnants and collect it from Telford in November 2014.

Well we all know what the big release is now,even as someone who won,t buy it I have to say it is a complete stunner!detail up there with the best

the far east has to offer maybe better!the Bugatti veyron of plastic kits,makes you proud to be British!Robin hood Robin hood riding thru the glen.........

• Like 1

I stand corrected, John! In my defence, that's not my cup of tea, subject-wise and not my scale....(nerny, nerny...)

No defence required! I just never knowingly miss a chance to boost Russian aircraft or the kits of those manufacturers who are willing to produce them - thanks for giving me an opportunity! :thumbsup:

John

Hmmm....

I think Airfix can be left to consider the economics of their business. If the 1/24 Mosquito was a financial disaster then they are reinforcing failure. Clearly their bean counters think otherwise.

The point was the mossie was NOT a disaster, they had to do three production runs to meet demand.

Julien

Although I am overjoyed with this kit, the surface detail when viewed close up is coarser than the best that Tamiya (1/32 spitfire, mustang and corsair) and Eduard (1/48 Spitfire) can achieve. At a show the viewing distances are great her than on a work bench. I looked at the Corsair rivet detail yesterday too, and it was clearly finer.

The Airfix designers themselves praised the developments made by Eduard in plastic moulding. Airfix admitted that they are aiming at the budget-conscious modeller. If they made the surface detail as good as it could be, the kit would have to be much, much more expensive to regain the tooling investment.

Hiya guys

I think the point everyone is missing here is that Airfix is putting itself back into the market the, as it was trying to do 15 years ago.

Airfix has always been synonymous with Plastic kits, regardless of what the kits actually is, 'oh you're building an Airfix?'

Yes, to you and me, some of the releases over the last couple years, may not make sense, like the 48th Scale armour,(I think the chaps at airfix know that they cannot compete against japan in this scale, but in 48th, hell yes)and the ressurection of the 24th scale aircraft etc.

From the kits that they are re producing, its quite obvious that it will not take very long before airfix is back up at the top, competing with the big guns.

Yes, japanese kits are better, finer etc, whatever you want to say, but the amount of money thrown at them, to get them out, is probably far greater.

My own personal opinion, is that, in the modelling world, Airfix is an entity unto its self. They are now producing British subjects, old and new, and its the place to go when you want that specifc item, and that includes the 1/24th scale aircraft.

For what Airfix have done over the last few years, they should be commended. Fine, so 1/24th scale isnt your scale, and 1/48th scale armour looks daft in your display cabinet next to your 1/35th scale.

From a dedicated non aircraft builder, I would, and plan too, buy the Typhoon, because the detail looks amazing. Dont care if its too big, ill find somewhere to put it.

steve

Edited by MAD STEVE
  • Like 6

Just as the 1/24th Spitfire hit the oppostion off kilter 42 years ago so this Typhoon must be doing today. It shows great faith in the future of the hobby by the owners of Airfix. The investment in this kit will be recouped over many years, so it shows that Hornby plan to be around to get that investment back.

And still they plan to give us more small kits next year.

I feel like a 10-12 year old again when every week or so there was a new Airfix model in the shops to part me from my hard earned pocket money.

• Like 4

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Airfix are deliberately shooting themselves in the foot?

The farce with the Mosquito shows 1/24 is just to darn big. 1/32 and they'd sell shiploads, here and in the States. One production run and then into the remaindered bins for the rest.

Either way, zero interest co-efficient here. Just can't understand their logic.

W

Probably a few others, but IMO you're in the minority. Of course, Airfix could do one in 1/32 to go with all the other 1/32 kits they ever released. Now, what were they......?

Mossie must have been a disaster too. Haven't seen one on the shelf for over a year, so I suspect they withdrew the unsold ones and scrapped them.

Shane

• Like 1

I never saw any of the Mossies reduced to prices the Spitfire Vb gift set went down to, ie £15. Now the Mossies are getting about 50% above their list price when they were freely available.

Sometimes a company will do a special as a flagship, and let the rest of the ordinary stuff subsidise it. Airfix raised the bar with the Mossie. They've just done it again.

I'd rather spend £90 on this Typhoon, than on Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire. Thats just me, the way I am. I will find room for it....somewhere, :frantic:

• Like 1

I've remembered what they said scheme D was going to be: Pulveriser IV, a RCAF bombphoon.

Thank goodness, that's one of the ones I wanted to do. I hope cartagraf does the decals.

The kits looks outstanding, I'm beyond words really.

I'll be getting two and maybe three of these kits. Yeah it's big, yeah it's 1:24th scale. I love the subject, and can live with the scale. I'm sure that if it was 1:32 then they may sell more kits. But I'm also sure that they will sell enough to make a buck on the tooling costs. As for the loving or bashing of airfix it goes both ways. Some won't like this kit because airfix produced it, and others defend anything airfix puts in a box. This kit looks amazing almost too good to be true. I mean detail beyond expectations gun bays, engine, cockpit, optional(differing) parts. This sets the bar very high. I am not pro or anti airfix. This kit is King. But let's be honest the 1:24 mosquito really was underwhelming for the scale.